Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil leaking from Rear differential unit on 4-motion

stephen

stephen

VIP Member
Oil emanating from rear differential, (not the driveshaft seals), of our 4 motion 180, 10500 miles, and getting on the rear window as a oil film,

Is this a common problem? as we are on holiday in Cumbria, and don't know actually where it's coming from precisely. :sad

We have had two 4motion vehicles which have had leaks and was traced to the leaking pump for the haldex unit. Not a guarantee that this is what is leaking on yours though.

I wouldn't say that this is a common problem at all.

cheers

Same on mine; going in on the 29th to be sorted, along with the roof!

We've just got back from the trip after the dealers in Carlisle were unable to trace the fault, but said, when checking the oil in the rear differential unit it was only 1 to 2 mm below the mark? but considering the amount of oil sprayed up from underneath I'm assuming it's been over-filled, as our journey back from the Lake District didn't cause any problems, with no oil underneath the vehicle whatsoever?

They said it was the first problem of this sort they had encountered, let's hope it doesn't re-occur....

Thanks again for your responses :)

stephen said:
We've just got back from the trip after the dealers in Carlisle were unable to trace the fault, but said, when checking the oil in the rear differential unit it was only 1 to 2 mm below the mark? but considering the amount of oil sprayed up from underneath I'm assuming it's been over-filled, as our journey back from the Lake District didn't cause any problems, with no oil underneath the vehicle whatsoever?

They said it was the first problem of this sort they had encountered, let's hope it doesn't re-occur....

Thanks again for your responses :)

Mine's in on Monday - I saw it up on the ramp and there was a fair bit of completely clear oil over the diff area but it's definitely not enough to drip anywhere.

Also noticed how completely clean and corrosion free the underside was which is good.

Back