Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No help at the Marco Polo forum so.....

I was in love with the MP when it first came out. I still think that it is a fine vehicle.

I looked so hard when I was changing Albert but it slowly paled on me.

All the talk was of how luxurious it was over the Cali. First big off-put. I want a camper not a luxury car. I want something where I don't need to give my dogs a shampoo every time we come home, I'm not worried about claw scratches in the leather, my Grandchildren can jump all over it, like they do in Alfie,

Then the wonderful "Car-like" driving position unlike the "Van-like" cali. Yep, no useful cubby holes anywhere at the front.

Only one leisure battery: I'm struggling with two at the moment, having to use my fridge as a freezer.

Parking heater extra: ok, £ for £ the £2.5k extra all equals out, but not to have one fitted as standard to me reflects an attitude of "not thinking camper".

The killer of course was no 4WD. Probably the only structural thing between the two machines that I baulked at. The rest was more attitude than substance. The "we are selling an up-market luxury car" attitude as opposed to "we are selling an all-year round self-contained survival module". My lifestyle calls for "survival module" first so all of the "nice touches" meant absolutely nothing to me.

If my requirements were different then
I would probably would have gone MP. It's nuance rather than substance that determines who is going to be happier with what.

Well good u made the right choice then !.
I will also keep my T5 4Motion so no worries ! MP makes an AWD now and a new V300 engine.
More luxery will suit me for the way I’m gonna use it and that’s why it’s great we can buy different to different needs isn’t it ?

You sound frustrated or out of love with your lovely Cali, anything sparked this?

No not really.
It’s still the best vehicle on the road for all round use ability.
We sat in the que yesterday, looked at all the other vehicles and thought how boring they were. The BMW X5 grabbed my attention. Simply because it was a similar size to a Cali, but with a lot less space. I’m sure comfort is better, but not enough to justify owning one over a California.

I think it’s time to make some tasteful modifications to mine. She’s been plain Jane for to long.

Well good u made the right choice then !.
I will also keep my T5 4Motion so no worries ! MP makes an AWD now and a new V300 engine.
More luxery will suit me for the way I’m gonna use it and that’s why it’s great we can buy different to different needs isn’t it ?

Totally agree. Quite a possibility that next change, next year, will see me in an MP. Requirements change, grandchildren get older, dogs pass on, age catches up, it would not take much for me to change.

No not really.
It’s still the best vehicle on the road for all round use ability.
We sat in the que yesterday, looked at all the other vehicles and thought how boring they were. The BMW X5 grabbed my attention. Simply because it was a similar size to a Cali, but with a lot less space. I’m sure comfort is better, but not enough to justify owning one over a California.

I think it’s time to make some tasteful modifications to mine. She’s been plain Jane for to long.

So true ! I’m at the end of my 2nd Cayenne turbo S and even I did have a lot of fun, I realized ( after driving my Cali in the summers), that all “normal” cars are boring ! You can go from A to B fast or slow but that’s it !!
So I made up my mind and that’s why I’m going to order a new camper to replace the Cayenne. MP or Cali I’ll decide after Düsseldorf in September, right now I’m just trying to gather lots of infos about the MP so I can compare as much as possible to make the right choice !

If anyone is interested in a Marco Polo I suggest they go for a decent test drive over various surfaces. Mine was a 2004 (bought in 2006 at 14,000kms) and I did nearly 100,000 miles in it but road noise was a constant issue despite tyre changes and attempts at sound deadening. Suspension was basic compared with the California clattering over uneven surfaces. Uneven tyre wear was an issue despite numerous tracking adjustments with tyres scrubbing. The engine was much noisier too. The sliding door rattled, and was a source of wind noise again despite a number of attempts to fix it, the body flexes putting it out of alignment again. Rust was also a serious issue on mine. Yes the interior is more roomy and luxurious but the electric rear seat is both heavy and slow. I looked again at a Marco polo before I ordered my new T6 Ocean and, in my opinion, they look the business however, aside from the potential issues mentioned above they do not have Android Auto and as Jen mentioned the night heater is £2.5k but all in all, the Ocean to my spec and the Marco Polo in similar spec came out about the same price; depreciation was similar to the Cali too. I think it is pretty likely that Mercedes Benz have addressed many of the problems since my tenure and Californias are not without their own foibles! As has been said before, each to their own.

Tom

Back