Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Next years Beach

D

dave&jackie

While visiting a VW dealer this week end we heard a rumour that the Beach will have an Electric hook up AND a few other surprises next year. If this is so it makes our decision even harder. Has anyone else heard about this ?

dave&jackie said:
While visiting a VW dealer this week end we heard a rumour that the Beach will have an Electric hook up AND a few other surprises next year. If this is so it makes our decision even harder. Has anyone else heard about this ?

That doesn't surprise me - i think VW are testing the market for a more basic camper - what i mean by that is a camper without a kitchen, so one that has hook up and everything else but the kitchen. There's a number of reasons or theories on VW would do this, the obvious is simply profits, I wonder if VW will eventually sell something that is not a Beach but not a full Cali as their large camping vehicle.

Personally apart from hook up either as standard or as an option I wouldn't want anything else, its simplicity is the appeal for me.

interesting where VW go with this and probably no surprise given the T6 is around the corner.

James

dave&jackie said:

Yes I have

:thanks

Wish mine had hook-up. Currently make do with a lead through the window.
What else is in the pipeline for the Beach...???

TBH we could have easily survived our month away without hook up.

I really need hook-up for long trips.
Need to be able to charge phones and cameras etc. Plus the missis moans if she can't dry her hair in the morning :headbang

But most importantly, I need a no hassle cup of morning tea...!!!

After having owned quite a few transporters over the years. The Beach is a near perfect model. It's an amazingly versatile vehicle and one which for me will be a long term ownership

VW should include 230v hook-up point as standard and parking heater. Inter-grated 230v sockets into the rear of the van and dash mounted, button operated hand brake.
Also make sure they keep the manual pop up roof, would hate to see the Beach with that electric rubbish...!!!

KernowLad said:
TBH we could have easily survived our month away without hook up.

I think you have to ask - if the Beach edges closer to a full Cali - then what's the reason for buying a full Cali.

James

What percentage of people would you say use the cooker inside. For instance , bacon sarnies for breakfast. Do you cook inside or outside ? We are not sure how much we would want to cook inside.

I always cook inside without any problems :thumb

We tend to cook both inside and out but its good to have the option to cook inside if weather s bad etc....

Rob

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

dave&jackie said:
What percentage of people would you say use the cooker inside. For instance , bacon sarnies for breakfast. Do you cook inside or outside ? We are not sure how much we would want to cook inside.

Cereals and sandwiches for breakfast and lunch. Tend to eat out most of the time in the evenings.
We usually have a Cobb BBQ in the back of the Cali for when we do want to cook.

Should have mentioned. My Beach has the 3 seater which I feel is far better than the two seater :thumb

Weather dependant
last week cooked outside Febuary cooked inside :D

We cook inside a lot but then we use our Cali through the winter even if it just a day trip.

The sink and hob are musts as far as I am concerned. If VW stopped the SE then I would have to look at something like a bilbo rather than a Beach. It is each to their own of course. I would like to think that VW are expanding the range of lifestyle in response to growing demand rather to reduce it to save on cost. The full camper is a VW tradition it would be a shame to see it go.

Playing devils advocate - you could just buy a kitchen pod for the Beach. Will concede certainly with LHD vehicles the full Cali is a different vehicle to the Beach in terms of what it is based on.

Base the Beach on a Multivan Comfortline and then you'd have something ver interesting. I believe there is a company in Germany who do this.

James

MichaelB said:
We cook inside a lot but then we use our Cali through the winter even if it just a day trip.

The sink and hob are musts as far as I am concerned. If VW stopped the SE then I would have to look at something like a bilbo rather than a Beach. It is each to their own of course. I would like to think that VW are expanding the range of lifestyle in response to growing demand rather to reduce it to save on cost. The full camper is a VW tradition it would be a shame to see it go.

No worries there michael the transporter based camper will only ever stop when vw stop making the transporter ...... you got to remember the T5 cali is the first campervan vw have made themselves and all those years ago and now its all the other companies that have and still are converting them to campervans on a vw T base ....There's looks of good convertors out there now ,but the beach does do the job it's intended for ... :thumb :thumb

A better more flexible (in terms of use not structure!) multiflex bed board in the 2 seater version would IMHO be a good move. Either a lower version of the Caravelle / 3 seater version or one that folds up (like the full Cali?). Neither should take much engineering effort by VW, especially a lower version of the 3 seater multiflex.
I've added mains hookup and a kitchen pod to mine as for me its a camper that I wanted rather than a flexible people carrier. So far most of the cooking has been done inside but in general the cooker gets more use while out for the day. Get back from a bike ride or windsurf session, kettle on and brew up. Being able to do this in the van is great, warm, dry and out of the wind.
Doubt it will be on the list but the roof bellows fabric seems rather basic in these days of hi performance waterproof, breathable etc fabrics. That would probable need to be an SCA development as they build the roof I think.

In Scotland we cooked inside all week. In Spain and France we only cooked outside on a two ring burner. Just depends really but I'd rather cook outside if possible.

Does the Beach have the Euro plug that runs off the batteries? We find it find for charging phones, etc.

I would take a kettle next time though so hook up would be needed. It also makes the roof raise and lower much quicker!

Soulstyle said:
VW should include [ ... ] button operated hand brake.
I totally agree. Having had it on my Passat, going back to a manual handbrake is archaic. And it gets it out of the way, and it doesn't have to be released when rotating the driver's seat.
And, I bet it's cheaper!

I didn't like it first of all but grew to love it.

NickE said:
Soulstyle said:
I totally agree. Having had it on my Passat, going back to a manual handbrake is archaic. And it gets it out of the way, and it doesn't have to be released when rotating the driver's seat.
And, I bet it's cheaper!

<Clarkson mode> but how will you do handbrake turns and J turns with a button operated handbrake </Clarkson mode> ;) ;)

James said:
Base the Beach on a Multivan Comfortline and then you'd have something ver interesting. I believe there is a company in Germany who do this.

James

Interesting, got any links buddy...???

NickE said:
Soulstyle said:
And, I bet it's cheaper!

Agree :thumb
I would also like to see the seat/bed being able to slide when it's in the bed position.
Also think a leisure battery charger should come as standard also.

We've never missed a hook up. We charge phones, iPads etc all by USB and use a jet boil for that all important cup of tea.

We have a 3 seater beach, like to eat at a local pub, and enjoy the extra bed space for the two teenagers!
Only thing I hate is the vw cloth screen thing for the front windscreen. Desperately need to replace that.

Off to the outer Hebrides next week!

Soulstyle,
try this one:
http://www.maxxcamp.de/de/konzept/index.php

I'm hoping to visit them next month to see if they will fit my shuttle sidepanels. They look good quality but still don't match my ideal completely so In all honesty I'll probably end up getting a close copy made up!

Steve

Let me know if you find any good camping spots :-D were going up I'm October :)

DebsWhite said:
We've never missed a hook up. We charge phones, iPads etc all by USB and use a jet boil for that all important cup of tea.

We have a 3 seater beach, like to eat at a local pub, and enjoy the extra bed space for the two teenagers!
Only thing I hate is the vw cloth screen thing for the front windscreen. Desperately need to replace that.

Off to the outer Hebrides next week!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

James said:

James

There is a company in southern Germany that just does that. If anyone is interested I can go look for the site. One thing for sure: it will be in German

Adrian

Back