Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Cali Beach in UK with hook up?

J

JCUK

I took delivery of my Cali Beach last week. The VW main dealer told me it was the first in the country with hook up. I'm interested to see if this is correct or does anyone else have VW hook up on a UK spec Beach? If anyone does I'd be interested to know how it works because the main dealer whilst helpful was not completely sure...

JCUK said:
I took delivery of my Cali Beach last week. The VW main dealer told me it was the first in the country with hook up. I'm interested to see if this is correct or does anyone else have VW hook up on a UK spec Beach? If anyone does I'd be interested to know how it works because the main dealer whilst helpful was not completely sure...

I think you'll find plenty around already... The EHU was added during November/December in the factory, so most 14 plate vehicles are likely to have it.

Thanks, I'm not surprised. Do you know how the hook up and electrics work i.e. does the leisure battery charge off the hook up and the main van battery? Do the lights and 12v sockets charge off the leisure battery or hook up? There's no zig unit like I had on my old T4 Holdsworth, just 12v and a UK 3 pin, but I'm guessing the technology has moved on. Also, do you know if the leisure battery is stored under the passenger seat?...The VW dealer is new to selling California's and the hand over was fairly basic, so I'm hoping someone can answer my questions.

The leisure battery is under the passenger seat and is charged by the alternator and when on hook up, the mains too.

Word is, the driving battery is also maintained while on hook up.

Another forum member was talking about an RCD in the boot behind the same panel as the jack and wheelbrace.... Perhaps you might take a look and confirm.

All of the 12v things onboard are powered by the batteries.

All 12v sockets are powered by the leisure battery except the ashtray socket, also, all non van lights, are powered by the leisure.

Parking Heater, if fitted, I am less sure about.

I hope this helps!!

James

Hi

We collected our Beach on 8th of Jan and it has EHU our build start date was the same week they started building them with EHU... So good chance he have the first one... :D

Is there any way to tell when you are on hookup, a symbol or led light somewhere? I believe the full camper has different overhead display where it shows up but can't see it on the beach.

Handbook says the beach should have a rcd switch in the rear lh panel,and the switch would need turning on once the hook up cable is connected and switch off before disconnecting.only problem can't find a switch ! Removed the tools and tow bar ball and no signs. Any one with a Beach with factory hook up have any ideas. thanks.

Hi jaydub,

We also have a Beach and I must admit that I hadn't read the bit about turning off and on when hooking up.

We've hooked up several times without doing anything. Just guessing but the instructions may be just German H&S gone mad?

I can't see why you would need to turn the RCD off when hooking up. Anyone else got any idea why this might be advisable/necessary?

If so then I'd also better find the RCD!

Thank you,it seems to be working.maybe I should stop reading the handbook on cold dark winter nights and just get out and enjoy.

Took delivery of a beach last week and during the handover our dealer seemed to make a point of turning the rcd off while plugging and unplugging, I can't see why you would have to, the other thing that concerns me is the rcd is in such an awkward position that you are sticking your hands in to feel for it and can't see it, I got a little inspection mirror so could see where the terminals were before sticking my fingers in.

One other thing to watch out for is when the rear parcel shelf table is in its rearmost position, you can't get the correct angle to re-fit the plastic side panel, I tried several times and the little yellow clip kept popping off and luckily didn't drop down the gap under the jack. Then realised I had to push the table forward slightly to get the correct angle.

I've looked on my 2015 beach and can't find any RCD in the area where the tools are?

helmguy said:
I've looked on my 2015 beach and can't find any RCD in the area where the tools are?
Hi, you would have all on to find it, you can't see it, just have to stick your arm up and feel for it, poor place to mount it in my opinion. I used a little mirror to see it so I knew if it was on or off.

hubert72 said:
helmguy said:
Hi, you would have all on to find it, you can't see it, just have to stick your arm up and feel for it, poor place to mount it in my opinion. I used a little mirror to see it so I knew if it was on or off.

Really.i was laying on my back,in the back under the shelf with my feet on the floor, really uncomfortable, torch in on hand, sleeve rolled up and push my hand into the dark, I felt like James Herriot. Wow they really have hidden it.

Back