Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Charging Cali Beach

J

j3ggo

Guest User
Hi, just wondered if when my beach in on electric hook up in the garage does it charge the main engine battery too? Or just the leisure battery?

I ask because the Cali will be stored for longish periods over winter so will I need a trickle charger?

IMG_0245.JPG

Hi, just wondered if when my beach in on electric hook up in the garage does it charge the main engine battery too? Or just the leisure battery?

I ask because the Cali will be stored for longish periods over winter so will I need a trickle charger?

View attachment 27045
On the SE/Ocean it does trickle charge the Engine Battery and I believe the Beach is the same.
You can confirm this by using a voltmeter. A relatively cheap voltmeter that plugs into the 12v socket will do this.
The Dashboard Socket is powered from the Engine Battery. If the voltage goes above 12.7 then it’s being charged.

I wouldn’t leave a car locked away and unused. Low/no mileage is worse than high mileage IMO.

I wouldn’t leave a car locked away and unused. Low/no mileage is worse than high mileage IMO.
Going to struggle to use it much, wife works some weekends and I work in the week. Kids clubs at weekends and so on inhibit the use we would like to do. It has to wait until next year bar the 11th November which will be the first time we use it.

Cars need to keep warm and running. Lubricants need the heat and usage and fresh air is needed to ward of smells and moisture. Even moisture collecting around metal parts can become affected such as the exhaust.

That’s why I use mine as our main vehicle.

Great believer in cars should be used. Read an article on the Porsche forum about a guy who has covered 400k in his Porsche 911.
Where most lock them in garages, this guy uses his everyday.
Absolute legend.

Definitely keep her on hook-up and worth getting it out as often as possible :thumb

Cars need to keep warm and running. Lubricants need the heat and usage and fresh air is needed to ward of smells and moisture. Even moisture collecting around metal parts can become affected such as the exhaust.

That’s why I use mine as our main vehicle.

Great believer in cars should be used. Read an article on the Porsche forum about a guy who has covered 400k in his Porsche 911.
Where most lock them in garages, this guy uses his everyday.
Absolute legend.

Definitely keep her on hook-up and worth getting it out as often as possible :thumb

If it’s stored for really long periods, it’s worth taking the weight off the tyres.

We have just bought a New Beach 2017.First strip out and i plug the kettle in the socket behind the passenger seat..Nothing happens.We have driven about 30 mile already.? What do i need to do? Thanks

We have just bought a New Beach 2017.First strip out and i plug the kettle in the socket behind the passenger seat..Nothing happens.We have driven about 30 mile already.? What do i need to do? Thanks

Hi @AliJ , and welcome on your first post!
I don't have a Beach but i think the T6 Beach now has a 220v hook-up plug and if you want to use the 220v three pin socket in the Cali you need to be on hook-up .
Assuming this is what you talking about?
Beach owners will correct me if wrong ...

Thanks..is there anyway i can make a cuppa 'off hook up'?
and..how do i remove an 'extra seat'.... a complicated thing this Beach!:)

If you want to boil water without 220v hook-up it's best to use a gasburner , there are 12v watercoockers but it takes a loooooong time before get a cup!

Regarding seats removal , i don't have a 5th seat in me SE .
Have you looked in the manual ?
Try to search the forum and read some existing posts , all your Q's will be answerd .

Hi Ali
I took one of the second row seats out of my new beach yesterday.
Here goes - at the very front (behind the front seats ) of the slide rails are the stoppers. They are fixed into the channels by clips. To release them put you finger into the channel where it meets the stopper and you’ll feel the clip, then it’s a case of pushing the clip and lifting the stopper out.
Either side of the channel is a flange. The front section of this which is about 12” long needs to be slid towards where the stopper was removed. Once there you lift them out. I found sliding these the most difficult part of the whole process as they don’t seem to move freely but I’m sure that will become easier. To lift them out you sort of fold them up and away from the channel.
Once they are out slide the seat forward. There are 4 lugs at the bottom of the seat and you need to line these up with the 4 openings within the channel. I’m sure that could be worded better but should be fairly self explanatory when you’re looking at it.
From that point you can lift the seat out.
It’s worth looking on YouTube for ‘California chris’ as the whole process is covered in one of his videos.
Good luck !

Hi Ali
Here goes - at the very front (behind the front seats ) of the slide rails are the stoppers. They are fixed into the channels by clips. To release them put you finger into the channel where it meets the stopper and you’ll feel the clip, then it’s a case of pushing the clip and lifting the stopper out.
Either side of the channel is a flange. The front section of this which is about 12” long needs to be slid towards where the stopper was removed. Once there you lift them out. I found sliding these the most difficult part of the whole process as they don’t seem to move freely but I’m sure that will become easier. To lift them out you sort of fold them up and away from the channel.
Once they are out slide the seat forward. There are 4 lugs at the bottom of the seat and you need to line these up with the 4 openings within the channel. I’m sure that could be worded better but should be fairly self explanatory when you’re looking at it.
It’s worth looking on YouTube for ‘California chris’ as the whole process is covered in one of his videos.
Good luck !
Thanks..i'll give it a go :)

Hi Ali
Good luck !
I would also recommend buying a small flat bed trolly as moving these seats is hernia inducing, back breaking work. They are very heavy. These trolleys aren't expensive but are very useful.

A JetBoil is the best tea making device for a Beach, in my opinion!
We always use a Jetboil in our SE. Way quicker and I suspect less wasteful than using the hob. Jetboil and a Cadac and you're sorted!

View attachment 27045
As an aside - I notice that your rear stoplight has parted company with the tailgate, too. We have replaced ours twice now so it's a dab of adhesive next time. I suspect the airtight nature of the Cali pops the lens out when you close a door. I always wondered why my tailgate was tricky to shut properly until my daughter slammed it with me in the car. The pressure almost pushed my eardrums in. Since then I always leave something else open when shutting the tailgate and no more problems getting it to engage first time. My dad had a similar thing with a 1960s Beetle 1300, difficult to close the doors with windows fully shut.

You can get 12v kettles but they are in my opinion a waste of time, best to just get a small gas device.
The socket doesn't have an inverter it only works on mains hookup. Even if you got an inverter it would never cope with a mains kettle anyway.

Sounds like your dealer didnt do a proper handover and tour of the van with you (although its a lot to take in), worth checking out some of the videos on here if you didnt. Especially turning the seat and using the roof which can cause damage if done incorrectly. :)

I use a cheap camping gaz bistro, but there are plenty of small stoves out there to suit. The Alpkit is a good more reasonably priced equivilent of the jetboil. They are quite efficient on volume of gas but the nature of the smaller gaz canisters means you will pay a little more per kg so £ and pence probably no cheaper but definitely quicker to get your cuppa.

As an aside - I notice that your rear stoplight has parted company with the tailgate, too. We have replaced ours twice now so it's a dab of adhesive next time. I suspect the airtight nature of the Cali pops the lens out when you close a door. I always wondered why my tailgate was tricky to shut properly until my daughter slammed it with me in the car. The pressure almost pushed my eardrums in. Since then I always leave something else open when shutting the tailgate and no more problems getting it to engage first time. My dad had a similar thing with a 1960s Beetle 1300, difficult to close the doors with windows fully shut.
That is covered under warranty, and they supposedly fixed that with the T5 but looks like it's back. Mine was fixed when in for a service by refitting using stronger adhesive. The dealer said it was air pressure related when closing the boot quickly. Old problem they never seem to have resolved.

I think @Amarillo recently quoted, that it took a 70x minutes to boil a kettle from the 12v!!
That's correct - it takes me about 70 minutes to pack the van from a sleeping start, including Vango Kela awning, and about 70 minutes to boil 750ml of water using a 12 volt 20 amp kettle.

I've estimated that about 2/3 of the energy is heat loss during the slow boil time, so it makes me wonder if I could make my fortune by going on Dragons' Den with a patented design for an electric thermos flask kettle.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

That's correct - it takes me about 70 minutes to pack the van from a sleeping start, including Vango Kela awning, and about 70 minutes to boil 750ml of water using a 12 volt 20 amp kettle.

I've estimated that about 2/3 of the energy is heat loss during the slow boil time, so it makes me wonder if I could make my fortune by going on Dragons' Den with a patented design for an electric thermos flask kettle.

Knit a small coat for the kettle could do the trick. Actually, every time you have written about the 12v kettle I would have commented you should wish for a JetBoil next Christmas – but there are also some lovely about not being in a hurry nowadays ;-)

I don't care what boils it but the water for my morning coffee must be boiling by the time it takes me to pack my bedding in it's stuff sack, the mattress topper folded, seat back raised and bed slid back.

Life then begins,

Back