Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie advice sort

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
Greeting to you all,
I am currently looking round for my first Cali and need some ideas what to buy first to go with it. I'm thinking bellow bungee, hookup lead(if it doesn't come with one), levelling chokes?! awning etc Also have two young kids so anything that might be useful for them too.
Obviously most of this I'll be buying over the coming months, once the vehicle is acquired, though I am off to the Caravan/Motorhome show in October bargain hunting.
Any thoughts from those with experience to give me some pointers welcome.
:thanks

Mine comes in a few weeks. Look at the forum shop, link above, many useful items there.
Cali topper from site sponsor as we will be using ours throughout the year. Popaloo folding toilet and Pop up tent. E- bags for clothing, from Amazon. Flamma levelling chocks, because some of the sites we will be visiting are not level. Sleeping bags/quilts etc whichever suits you.
Have fun :hello

Ok, seat covers if you are going to keep it in good condition for the next owners. I, personally intend to use mine and fit covers or recover as and when necessary. But then our 5 kids have all long flown the nest. :shocked

Our best buy was the comfortz mattress topper for the downstairs bed. We only tried sleeping on it without one once and that was enough to convince us that you need one!

Chocks are a good call too (we went for the Thule ones). I also love our collapsible Outwell kettle.

Thanks for the replies, had forgotten about seat covers which are going to be essential with kids. Slipped my mind as we have leather seats in the car so easy to wipe down after the odd accident in the back.
Portable loo is also on the list which will accompany the porta potty for the youngest....
Kettle is an obvious must as first thing to do when setting up camp is get a cuppa on the go :D

If you have Kids/Pets then seat covers are essential.
907 Gas Canister is a must have!
Hook up Cable
Collapsible Kettle (other kettles will do, but not as cool)
Tea/Coffee/Sugar
Levelling Chocks (although you don't use them very often when you need them you need them!)
Some mechanism of getting water from a tap into the water tank - I use a cheapo camping shower from Amazon, some use collapsible water carriers or hose pipes.
If using the downstairs bed then a mattress is essential IMHO, upstairs is fine without.

We don't have a bungee cord, or a cali-topper, or a loo and we survive fine.

lecky blanket if you're winter camping upstairs, used ours in the alps while skiing over christmas it was loooverly.
I don't have chocks I just move the van so my head is uphill when i sleep
The standard screen covers are fine in the summer but you might want a thermal cover for winter use
teeboy - no loo? how does that work?

Collapsible kettle
Loo
Collapsible bucket
5 litre or even 2 litre empty mineral water bottle and a foot long bit of old hose with a flared top for topping up the water tank.
As previously said, mattress topper if intending to sleep downstairs,
small LED torch.

Essentials IMO

Roof cover (Pucer is great and cheap too)
Living area carpet (the standard floor is as cosy as a butchers shop)
Levelling ramps (Thule for us)
Mattress topper is you plan to sleep downstairs - upstairs is comfier if you can get up there.
Seat covers - never taken ours off. Despite two young kids our seats are still like new underneath.

We use a normal camping kettle which is fine.
I find a small garden bucket (those plastic ones with two handles) great for washing up.

Hatefully pedantic but it's "sought" ;)

Comfort topper for upstairs
Bungee cord
Collapsible kettle
Cadac safari BBQ
Poopaloo
Small spirit level
Awning tie downs
Plastic containers from staple x2
Vw seat covers
Cool camping book ( good and bad ) mostly ok though
Michelin campsite book

Bits we thought we needed but didn't

Vango kela awning ( we should have just got a large pop up tent as we don't see the point in connecting )
Windbreaker from outwell ( better to get the type that do not need guy ropes)quicker and more practical

Bits we thought that we did not need and have not missed yet

Topper
Non standard screen covers
Leveling blocks ( bulky ) just find a level pitch

Can anyone advise if there are usually any VW Commercial dealers at the Caravan & Motorhome show who would be selling new California's?

I believe that you can often get discounted offers at these shows, but not sure if VW California deals are likely to be available or whether it's best to go through a dealership.

Thanks in advance.

Back