Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello! About to buy!

S

Sleepytortoise

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Newbie here planning to buy and have two vans on hold for us after we were pipped to the post by 2 mins at the weekend ( hour and a half drive in the rain with kids in the back to get a call that it has just sold!!!! Gah!!!).
So option 1 is an independent dealer 2010 SE model within budget and v low mileage for its age. Impeccable condition inside but we'd want to add a couple bits like parking sensors. Older than we ideally wanted. Spare cash to buy some extras.
Option 2 is a VW commercial dealer 2016 ocean ex rental. V slightly over budget (by £1k so doable) and higher mileage than the 2010 (slightly higher than average for age but not massively). Bit more worn inside but exterior good (and with 2 kids I expect interior would be worn pretty soon anyway!). Also meets ultra low emissions criteria (we live in London - just outside the zone so not a deal breaker but preferable). Newer than we thought we could afford.
What would you do????? My head is spinning from over-thinking!
Is a newer vehicle better than an old one with lower mileage or is low mileage better despite vehicle age? Will older one depreciate in value more quickly despite low mileage (I'm not sure if it's slightly overpriced as it is)? Is a VW commercial warranty better than an independent dealer one (we don't live near either of the dealers but obviously vw has dealerships all over so any issues can be dealt with more locally).
Too many questions and I have the fear over spending more than the cost of my first house on a van!!!!!

You need to tell us which engine is in the early one......
Lots of discussion here about low mileage.vans and how they can still deteriorate (some items more quickly) than a regularly used van.

What are the prices and mileage on the vans ?
And what engines ? 4motion?

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
This would be in the realms of things I don't really understand but I believe it's a 2.0 bitdi 180 dsg.

You need to tell us which engine is in the early one......
Lots of discussion here about low mileage.vans and how they can still deteriorate (some items more quickly) than a regularly used van.
Sleepytortoise
New
This would be in the realms of things I don't really understand but I believe it's a 2.0 bitdi 180 dsg.

What are the prices and mileage on the vans ?
And what engines ? 4motion?
This is in the realms of things I don't understand and thus not 100%clear on!
Mileage on 2010 is 28000 and I think the engine is 2.0 bitdi see 180 dsg.
Mileage on 2016 is 38000 and engine 2.0 TDI blue motion tech.

This is in the realms of things I don't understand and thus not 100%clear on!
Mileage on 2010 is 28000 and I think the engine is 2.0 bitdi see 180 dsg.
Mileage on 2016 is 38000 and engine 2.0 TDI blue motion tech.
Oh and £35k and £41k respectively

Welcome allong , if you can affort it go for the T6 .

Only reason I ask is I thought parking sensors were standard on the T5/5.1 SE?

Also, I think you need to read more on the 180 engines to better inform your decision...

Last edited:
Welcome here!
T6 because of the warranty.
Keep us up to date how you decided

definitely worth reading the forums in detail as there's loads of useful information here....

I learned loads that hopefully helped me avoid making expensive mistakes.

you could also post the links to the adverts here, you'll get useful feedback

you could also post the links to the adverts here, you'll get useful feedback
Many thanks. Neither is advertised as the dealers have been keeping an eye out for me when I missed previous ones. Will scour the boards for info. Think we're erring towards the 2016.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
The 180 engine has had some very serious problems particularly in its younger years, so 2010 is definitely in that territory. Some are fine, others need £7k spending on them, so if you go for that one, you need to understand the issues.

The 180 engine has had some very serious problems particularly in its younger years, so 2010 is definitely in that territory. Some are fine, others need £7k spending on them, so if you go for that one, you need to understand the issues.
Ah good to know thanks. I think we pretty decided on the 2016 now and that confirms it further.

2010 is overpriced and possible engine issues as mentioned above. Good luck whatever you decide. :thumb

As mentioned by 2into1 the T5 180 bi turbo has experienced some issues which can not be clearly identified and are not consistent with all vehicles.

This and the T5 forum should be a good source of Research for potential issues and signs to look out for.

I know the pressure of needing / wanting a vehicle, I would suggest caution when investing a relatively large amount into a second hand vehicle of this kind if it were not backed by a robust parts and labour warranty via a dealer sourced vehicle or a knowledgeable owner.

If neither vehicle is what you are looking for exactly, keep looking, don’t feel obligated to buy from either.

I went through the exact same scenario, budget, availability, spec etc. It become an obsession, searching for a vehicle that fits your needs at a budget that suits you.

Personally If going for pre owned Cali, I would go for the newest vehicle you can find within your particular budget (which is not insignificant), with the lowest possible mileage and with proper main dealer service records, if buying through a dealer I would prefer a main VW dealer purely because you have some indirect access to VW support for some of the issues that these vehicle do have.
Depreciation is slow, so your initial investment, will remain better than most other vehicles, leaving a residual value worth paying for the right vehicle.

London clean air Zone May expand sometime in future!

If dealer: Explore a robust warranty and some form of servicing agreement. DAs welt auto can offer some of this for a short period of time, but I would explore this in detail and ask the dealer to go the extra mile to make you commit to purchase, vehicle sales are slow at the mo and dealers are having to work for sales. (Fact)

Private sales can often be more enlightening as the owner often knows the vehicle much better than a dealer.

What ever you choose to do, do your reasearch, eyes wide open and drive the best deal you can for you ( only you will know what that is)

I wish you every luck and look forward to seeing some photos of the vehicle you choose to make your own.

As mentioned by 2into1 the T5 180 bi turbo has experienced some issues which can not be clearly identified and are not consistent with all vehicles.

This and the T5 forum should be a good source of Research for potential issues and signs to look out for.

I know the pressure of needing / wanting a vehicle, I would suggest caution when investing a relatively large amount into a second hand vehicle of this kind if it were not backed by a robust parts and labour warranty via a dealer sourced vehicle or a knowledgeable owner.

If neither vehicle is what you are looking for exactly, keep looking, don’t feel obligated to buy from either.

I went through the exact same scenario, budget, availability, spec etc. It become an obsession, searching for a vehicle that fits your needs at a budget that suits you.

Personally If going for pre owned Cali, I would go for the newest vehicle you can find within your particular budget (which is not insignificant), with the lowest possible mileage and with proper main dealer service records, if buying through a dealer I would prefer a main VW dealer purely because you have some indirect access to VW support for some of the issues that these vehicle do have.
Depreciation is slow, so your initial investment, will remain better than most other vehicles, leaving a residual value worth paying for the right vehicle.

London clean air Zone May expand sometime in future!

If dealer: Explore a robust warranty and some form of servicing agreement. DAs welt auto can offer some of this for a short period of time, but I would explore this in detail and ask the dealer to go the extra mile to make you commit to purchase, vehicle sales are slow at the mo and dealers are having to work for sales. (Fact)

Private sales can often be more enlightening as the owner often knows the vehicle much better than a dealer.

What ever you choose to do, do your reasearch, eyes wide open and drive the best deal you can for you ( only you will know what that is)

I wish you every luck and look forward to seeing some photos of the vehicle you choose to make your own.
Many thanks that's really helpful. I have managed to get them to knock a bit off the price and get some gap insurance added. Hadn't thought of trying to push for any servicing agreement. It is a das welt dealer.

There should be a residual balance to the standard three year VW warranty, ask the dealer to confirm how long
if your lucky the standard warranty may have been extended to 5 years (if it was done within three months of registration) ask the dealer what is left and if the vehicle has the extended 5 yr Vw warranty. I doubt an ex hire will do, but you never know. The 5 yr warranty is register with VWUK. There is no real paperwork issued for this, although the VW dealer should be able to check their system.

From experience, The perceived benefit of Gap insurance is a placebo,

Service agreement is a negotiable before purchase and is down to the discretion of the dealer as the cost is with them and what’s included.

End of the month sales figures will be looming, may help you drive a harder bargain and maybe get a couple of extras added to secure a sale.

Dealer will have profit built into the sale price of the preowned vehicle your looking at (difference from the trade in value vs the new sale to replace the hire fleet owner vs sale price to you)
You mention wear and tear, presume this is trim issues ?
have you thought about asking for the specific tired parts to be replaced, parts to a dealer are relatively cheap as opposed to after sales to joe public!
Seats can have covers fitted by dealer !
Wheels can be refurbished by dealer far cheaper than by yourself!

One Final squeeze just before signing the paperwork or suggest your walking away, may do the trick at this time of year. Be clear about what’s import to you in the negotiation and be prepared to take a flexible approach.

Good luck

There should be a residual balance to the standard three year VW warranty, ask the dealer to confirm how long
if your lucky the standard warranty may have been extended to 5 years (if it was done within three months of registration) ask the dealer what is left and if the vehicle has the extended 5 yr Vw warranty. I doubt an ex hire will do, but you never know. The 5 yr warranty is register with VWUK. There is no real paperwork issued for this, although the VW dealer should be able to check their system.

From experience, The perceived benefit of Gap insurance is a placebo,

Service agreement is a negotiable before purchase and is down to the discretion of the dealer as the cost is with them and what’s included.

End of the month sales figures will be looming, may help you drive a harder bargain and maybe get a couple of extras added to secure a sale.

Dealer will have profit built into the sale price of the preowned vehicle your looking at (difference from the trade in value vs the new sale to replace the hire fleet owner vs sale price to you)
You mention wear and tear, presume this is trim issues ?
have you thought about asking for the specific tired parts to be replaced, parts to a dealer are relatively cheap as opposed to after sales to joe public!
Seats can have covers fitted by dealer !
Wheels can be refurbished by dealer far cheaper than by yourself!

One Final squeeze just before signing the paperwork or suggest your walking away, may do the trick at this time of year. Be clear about what’s import to you in the negotiation and be prepared to take a flexible approach.

Good luck
Many thanks. V helpful.

Many thanks everyone. Have managed to squeeze 2 years of servicing out of the VW dealer plus new canvas in the roofing and £500 off original price plus 12 month warranty on top of residual for 2016 ocean. Deposit about to be paid! Think I've done ok! Eek.

Many thanks everyone. Have managed to squeeze 2 years of servicing out of the VW dealer plus new canvas in the roofing and £500 off original price plus 12 month warranty on top of residual for 2016 ocean. Deposit about to be paid! Think I've done ok! Eek.

Think you're making the right choice, especially having negotiated the extras.

Well done and enjoy your new Cali. :thumb :)