Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hiring a Cali - drive away awning advice please.

B

boofont

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi there,

Been lurking on her for a while now, and as I'm keen to buy a Cali I thought I would hire one first to see if it will work for me. So I've done that, and have planned my trip. Here's where I need the advice.

I am considering buying a cheap awning to take with us when we hire, likely second hand unless I can find a steal brand new. Reasons being, although I'm a single parent with just me and my son, we have a dog and our bikes. So I'd like a little extra space to put the bikes in, and to sit in if it rains etc. I know buying an awning when hiring seems odd, but if the price is right I don't mind as I'm sure I will buy a Cali, just not sure when!

So, can any one offer some advice on what I should be looking at and how I can fix it to the Calf please? Really appreciate your thoughts and pointers. Thanks.

Why don't you buy the awning sides from Comfortz easy to put up great for storing bikes and other stuff no need for drive away kit. Best off all if you don't buy a Cali you will nearly get your money back on here.

If you look for a kyham motordome classic in an auction on ebay, you should be able to resell it easily (less their 10% and paypals 4%).
They are well priced now, and we're very highly regarded for T5's before the air beam ones arrived.

If you look for a kyham motordome classic in an auction on ebay, you should be able to resell it easily (less their 10% and paypals 4%).
They are well priced now, and we're very highly regarded for T5's before the air beam ones arrived.

Thanks. I did consider that, I could just sell on if need be.

Yep. You need to be a vip member to contact other members. £10/year from memory.

That's the model. Great piece of kit but a heavy and big bag to lift/store, but strong and fast to erect.

Just looked, £12.99. Not against paying but not until I buy a Cali!

Any idea why I can't at least reply to the post though?

We are looking into this problem as non members should still be able to reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't bother with a driveaway awning, too bulky. Many Cali owners including me now use a Quechua Base Seconds pop up tent,(£140) hardly takes any room in the van, very quick to erect, similar size to an awning. Works well if you wind out the Cali awning to meet up with it. Has a very high resale value too.

Don't bother with a driveaway awning, too bulky. Many Cali owners including me now use a Quechua Base Seconds pop up tent,(£140) hardly takes any room in the van, very quick to erect, similar size to an awning. Works well if you wind out the Cali awning to meet up with it. Has a very high resale value too.

We just received our Quechua base seconds. So easy to put up & take down .
We watched a demonstration on you tube beforehand.
Impressed by the quality . We had a driveaway awning on our Madza Bongo ,it was a real faff

Last edited:
Back