Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Having been at Status 00 for every monthly update since ordering, opened e-mail on Sat evening to find an update from our Dealer to say now Build Status 20, Build Week 28 - so since last Monday.

For info:
Order Date Mid- Oct 21, towbar and 80l fuel tank in Bay Leaf Green, otherwise std. Didn't get the 'Side Assist delete' call. Original delivery estimate was end of Sept 22, so looking like coming through approx 1 month before.

One possible guess is that, being a now 'deleted' colour it has moved up in the queue a bit, but..

Fingers crossed for the usual 8 weeks to delivery, also fingers crossed for those having 'unexplained delays' and still waiting.

Just looked in the cupboard under the stairs, spare room wardrobe and chest of drawers to work out what we need to buy now - my god the CaliStash is bigger than we thought ...

Having been at Status 00 for every monthly update since ordering, opened e-mail on Sat evening to find an update from our Dealer to say now Build Status 20, Build Week 28 - so since last Monday.

For info:
Order Date Mid- Oct 21, towbar and 80l fuel tank in Bay Leaf Green, otherwise std. Didn't get the 'Side Assist delete' call. Original delivery estimate was end of Sept 22, so looking like coming through approx 1 month before.

One possible guess is that, being a now 'deleted' colour it has moved up in the queue a bit, but..

Fingers crossed for the usual 8 weeks to delivery, also fingers crossed for those having 'unexplained delays' and still waiting.

Just looked in the cupboard under the stairs, spare room wardrobe and chest of drawers to work out what we need to buy now - my god the CaliStash is bigger than we thought ...
Great news for you, be interesting to see if others with deleted colours get equally good news, of if you’ve just got lucky in the VW build lottery.

Edited to add: @ardm17 Can I ask what model, engine etc you ordered please?

As if getting the van won’t be exciting enough, it’s going to be like Christmas in our house unwrapping our CaliStash! We’ve bought various bits and bobs over the months but haven’t unwrapped most of it yet.

Quick question for those who are waiting, and those who have received their vans (if you’re still reading here):

Did you spec the heated windscreen?

After reading quite a few posts on this forum, we wish we hadn’t bothered now, but it’s apparently too late for us to change our order (even though we don’t have a build week).

For info:

Sounds similar timings to us. We ordered early October, removeable tow bar, 80l tank, wooden floor, art velour seats, 204 2wd, rear shower. Indium grey colour though. We were told about 4 weeks ago that it moved to status 20 and build week 28. Not heard any more and don't expect to for another couple of weeks. We have insisted the dealer emails us every 2 weeks to keep us up to speed and so far they have been more responsive than they had in the past.

Interesting to see if our timings remain in sync.

Quick question for those who are waiting, and those who have received their vans (if you’re still reading here):

After reading quite a few posts on this forum, we wish we hadn’t bothered now, but it’s apparently too late for us to change our order (even though we don’t have a build week).
No heated front screen for us.

Great news for you, be interesting to see if others with deleted colours get equally good news, of if you’ve just got lucky in the VW build lottery.

As if getting the van won’t be exciting enough, it’s going to be like Christmas in our house unwrapping our CaliStash! We’ve bought various bits and bobs over the months but haven’t unwrapped most of it yet.
Deleted colours don’t get deleted per sey and all ordered colours will be honoured. When we used to get a run out colour the paint shop still had it in for a few weeks after the “last” car and the colours are kept anyway because the plants still paint the spare parts on odd shifts and weekends. We were still making Bluebird bumpers for 10 years after the last car was made.

Thank you. Yes, that would be interesting, or maybe we just rolled a double-six this week ..

Ah yes, it is a150 Ocean, other than the colour, towbar and larger tank, we ordered 4 keys and all season tyres, otherwise there wasn't really anything else on the option list that we wanted. Did think about DCC, but decided to see what std. is like - can always go for the springs/dampers upgrade route later.

:) - Lets hope it is an early Christmas for everyone then!

Last edited:
Sounds similar timings to us. We ordered early October, removeable tow bar, 80l tank, wooden floor, art velour seats, 204 2wd, rear shower. Indium grey colour though. We were told about 4 weeks ago that it moved to status 20 and build week 28. Not heard any more and don't expect to for another couple of weeks. We have insisted the dealer emails us every 2 weeks to keep us up to speed and so far they have been more responsive than they had in the past.

They will be nose to tail on the Production line then - yes, will be interesting to compare progress. Roll on Status 30.

Deleted colours don’t get deleted per sey and all ordered colours will be honoured. When we used to get a run out colour the paint shop still had it in for a few weeks after the “last” car and the colours are kept anyway because the plants still paint the spare parts on odd shifts and weekends. We were still making Bluebird bumpers for 10 years after the last car was made.
Indeed - the 'deleted colours' are still available for panel vans, so plenty of paint, I guess. I just imagined that if the chassis are painted before they arrive at the Cali line, then maybe they are pushed through to clear the orders before the annual holiday and line reconfigure. Just idle speculation though .. the downside of waiting .. :)

How exciting, hopefully not too long for you to wait now.

Were you ever asked about keeping / removing side assist?

Indeed - the 'deleted colours' are still available for panel vans, so plenty of paint, I guess. I just imagined that if the chassis are painted before they arrive at the Cali line, then maybe they are pushed through to clear the orders before the annual holiday and line reconfigure. Just idle speculation though .. the downside of waiting .. :)
Yeah - all Calis are painted in the main Transporter factory and arrive painted just with no aluminium roof, which is added after and come direct from supplier (I believe pre painted).

We were suprised with our two tone because the whole van is actually green underneath and then the upper white looks like it’s applied over the green.

We have ours now and the wait for us was a week over 11 months. All in, not the end of the world, and looking across here 11 month mark (for UK orders) looks about the current average.

You could go mad trying to work out why, and likely would because there is reason, but no rhyme.

Last edited:
We have a confirmed build week…

Week 35 / 29th August :headbang

Not gonna lie, pretty gutted really as guess this means we’re not going to see it until late October. First world problems and all that.

For info (not that it seems to make any real difference!)
Order date: 21 August 2021, confirmed by VW Commercial on 29 August
Ocean 204 (2wd) Candy White 17” Woodstock wheels
Extras:
Heated front screen
4 remote keys
Tyre pressure monitoring
Lockable storage
80l fuel tank
All weather tyres
Magnetic flashlight (yeah yeah I know!)
Shower connection
Wood floor covering
Storage compartment pack
Bed extension
We were asked if we wanted to remove side assist to speed up delivery, but declined.

How exciting, hopefully not too long for you to wait now.

Were you ever asked about keeping / removing side assist?
Kind of. I contacted the dealer after a week or so of reading others on here saying they had been contacted. The dealer had no idea and checked the VW dealer system to see if there was a notification whilst I was on the phone to him. He said 'Oh yes there is a general notification about side assist'. Our van was eligible but we didn't opt to remove it (not that I am that fussed, just that there were no guarantees it would make any difference). No idea if our dealer then went on to contact all those eligible though. Dealer is Listers Coventry.

Yeah - all Calis are painted in the main Transporter factory and arrive painted just with no aluminium roof, which is added after and come direct from supplier (I believe pre painted).

We were suprised with our two tone because the whole van is actually green underneath and then the upper white looks like it’s applied over the green.

We have ours now at the wait for us was a week over 11 months. All in, not the end of the world and looking across here 11 month mark (for UK orders) looks about the current average.

You could go mad trying to work out why, and likely would because there is reason, but no rhyme.
That could explain quite a lot of delays/early builds then - matching pre-painted chassis to available roofs etc.
Makes sense for two-tone I guess, I don't believe two-tone is offered on the panel vans, so if the chassis arrive pre-painted, seems a bit mad, but guess it works best in a production process.

Best of luck with your van, enjoy it.

(My straight jacket comes off on delivery day ..)

Not gonna lie, pretty gutted really as guess this means we’re not going to see it until late October. First world problems and all that.

Extras:
Heated front screen
4 remote keys
Tyre pressure monitoring
Lockable storage
80l fuel tank
All weather tyres
Shower connection
Wood floor covering
Storage compartment pack
Bed extension
We were asked if we wanted to remove side assist to speed up delivery, but declined.
That is rather disappointing, sorry for you.

Good to hear that hopefully your vans are coming. Perhaps having two tone white / green has sped things up a touch for some people.

Don't want to be the party pooper but one word of warning though.... My van is still showing status 20 week 20, so 8 weeks and counting now..... Previous to that it was status 20 for March for 8 weeks.

Mine is all over Bay Leaf green, no heated screen.

Was never asked about side assist as my van was showing status 20 (i.e. parts supposedly ordered) at the time. I'm also with Listers in Coventry and it seemed like they weren't hugely clued up on what was going on with it anyway so perhaps didn't have many / any affected orders?

Extras:
Heated front screen
4 remote keys
Tyre pressure monitoring
Lockable storage
80l fuel tank
All weather tyres
Shower connection
Wood floor covering
Storage compartment pack
Bed extension
It's the flashlight causing delays now apparently :D

Good to hear that hopefully your vans are coming. Perhaps having two tone white / green has sped things up a touch for some people.

Don't want to be the party pooper but one word of warning though.... My van is still showing status 20 week 20, so 8 weeks and counting now..... Previous to that it was status 20 for March for 8 weeks.

Mine is all over Bay Leaf green, no heated screen.

Was never asked about side assist as my van was showing status 20 (i.e. parts supposedly ordered) at the time. I'm also with Listers in Coventry and it seemed like they weren't hugely clued up on what was going on with it anyway so perhaps didn't have many / any affected orders?
Indeed, certainly, with your ongoing situation in mind, we have not done any sort of chicken headcount yet. Tempting as it is to start booking some late days away, we will wait until we know for sure.

Keeping fingers crossed for you that you will suddenly get that 'it is in the country' e-mail/phone call soon.

Indeed, certainly, with your ongoing situation in mind, we have not done any sort of chicken headcount yet. Tempting as it is to start booking some late days away, we will wait until we know for sure.

Keeping fingers crossed for you that you will suddenly get that 'it is in the country' e-mail/phone call soon.
I hope so. I've got one more booked festival this summer, August BH weekend, which I would love to have it time for as I'll be car less by then and will have no way to get a tent there!

Every cloud has a silver lining though - I have a festival next weekend and still have a car, so I'll be taking my new van awning to use as a tent instead. At least I get to play with some of the "Calistash". Also managed to find a home for my camper van ticket I was planning to use.

Something that has just occurred to me though, are VW still sending out blankets as an apology for the delays? Not seen anyone post about them for a while.

We don’t have the heated windscreen, the configurator didn’t allow that with the acoustic side windows.

Why do you regret ordering this?

I hope so. I've got one more booked festival this summer, August BH weekend, which I would love to have it time for as I'll be car less by then and will have no way to get a tent there!

Every cloud has a silver lining though - I have a festival next weekend and still have a car, so I'll be taking my new van awning to use as a tent instead. At least I get to play with some of the "Calistash". Also managed to find a home for my camper van ticket I was planning to use.

Something that has just occurred to me though, are VW still sending out blankets as an apology for the delays? Not seen anyone post about them for a while.
The whole blanket thing seems to have gone very quiet so I guess it's off the cards now...;-(

I'm so fed up of waiting for the Cali I've decided to extend the pain and order an ID.Buzz too...;-) Could be a 24month wait ahead. I wonder which will come first...!

The whole blanket thing seems to have gone very quiet so I guess it's off the cards now...;-(

I'm so fed up of waiting for the Cali I've decided to extend the pain and order an ID.Buzz too...;-) Could be a 24month wait ahead. I wonder which will come first...!
Wow, a glutton for punishment

We don’t have the heated windscreen, the configurator didn’t allow that with the acoustic side windows.

Why do you regret ordering this?
We’ve had the heated screen on numerous Fords over the years and it’s been excellent, so when we saw it on the options list for the van we added it.

However, we’ve read some posts on the forum about how people use the vans remote heater to clear the screen, and that the heated screen isn’t that great (others disagree or course). As the van won’t be our daily driver, it’s unlikely we’d be setting out early on a cold and frosty morning, so we’d have less need for the heated screen compared to our car.

ETA: plus we thought it would have been good to save the £500!

Last edited:

We ordered ours with the heated windscreen back in Nov 21. Came 8 months later. We got lucky!

Back