Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New order delays and 199/204 engine update

S

shaunvwsheffield

Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but having a quick search I have found nothing.

The 199ps engine is being updated and will become the 204ps again with RDE 2 compliance next year.

All new orders will now be for the latest 204ps engine and VW have just announced that they will not begin production of this engine until week 6 of 2021. This would mean we would not likely see any new orders arrive until week 12/13 (End March / Beginning of April) at the very earliest next year. Just a quick heads up for anyone who is on the brink of ordering or are looking to order ready for the season next year!

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but having a quick search I have found nothing.

The 199ps engine is being updated and will become the 204ps again with RDE 2 compliance next year.

All new orders will now be for the latest 204ps engine and VW have just announced that they will not begin production of this engine until week 6 of 2021. This would mean we would not likely see any new orders arrive until week 12/13 (End March / Beginning of April) at the very earliest next year. Just a quick heads up for anyone who is on the brink of ordering or are looking to order ready for the season next year!

Thanks,

Shaun
What i find odd is why they arent starting production of the 204 till week 6? If they are rushing to get all 199s for the end of 2020, what will they be doing between week 1 and 6?

What i find odd is why they arent starting production of the 204 till week 6? If they are rushing to get all 199s for the end of 2020, what will they be doing between week 1 and 6?
Hi Puma,

VW have said they will be releasing more information shortly so once I know any more I will post the information here.

Thanks

It has been discussed on https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-t6-1-order-delays.35353/page-33#post-462592
I think a number of us are uncertain as to whether we will receive our 199’s before the end of the year or have to wait an additional 3 months.
We were told that any orders placed before the end of September would be the 199 and built this year. I think much will depend on your allocated build week. If it is after week 46 then it is likely that it will be delayed an will be the new 204 engine. All the pre RDE 2 199 vehicles must be registered this year.

I ordered in September and our dealer thinks we have a November build slot. The factory hasn’t confirmed yet though.

We were told that any orders placed before the end of September would be the 199 and built this year. I think much will depend on your allocated build week. If it is after week 46 then it is likely that it will be delayed an will be the new 204 engine. All the pre RDE 2 199 vehicles must be registered this year.
We ordered 11/9 and my dealer has said we will be getting the 204. VW chat still say the order is for a 199 but still awaiting a build date....???

We ordered 11/9 and my dealer has said we will be getting the 204. VW chat still say the order is for a 199 but still awaiting a build date....???
I would have thought your order would have an allocated build date by now? If it is after week 46 then there is a strong possibility it will be a 204. I’m just not sure what is happening between week 46 and week 6 2021. We are awaiting an update from VW. As soon as I know any more I’ll posit it here. Thanks, Shaun

I would have thought your order would have an allocated build date by now? If it is after week 46 then there is a strong possibility it will be a 204. I’m just not sure what is happening between week 46 and week 6 2021. We are awaiting an update from VW. As soon as I know any more I’ll posit it here. Thanks, Shaun
I know, the order was confirmed by the factory on the 17th September but no update since then. I keep checking with the chat.
Thanks for your input on here. I’d have contacted you before ordering if I’d realised you were part of this club!

Hi, I placed my order on the 24th September and have just received this from VW UK chat...
We are waiting for the Factory to accept the order as production is full. The Factory doesn’t have the availability at the moment. Your build week is likely to be week 6 2021. This is because of the engine changing from 199 to 204. Your local Van Centre can explain this to you.
I would say that this marks the cut off point for the 199 engine now then as the factory is full.

Hi, I placed my order on the 24th September and have just received this from VW UK chat...
We are waiting for the Factory to accept the order as production is full. The Factory doesn’t have the availability at the moment. Your build week is likely to be week 6 2021. This is because of the engine changing from 199 to 204. Your local Van Centre can explain this to you.
I would say that this marks the cut off point for the 199 engine now then as the factory is full.
When you say “just”, is that literal? I may give them a try again now......

I thought that dealerships could have pre-allocated build slots, so maybe others may be more lucky. I spoke with VW chat earlier today - no confirmation either way - they said check back in 7-10 days. Order date 22nd September.

I know, the order was confirmed by the factory on the 17th September but no update since then. I keep checking with the chat.
Thanks for your input on here. I’d have contacted you before ordering if I’d realised you were part of this club!
Phil, spoke to my dealer today. He’s in the process of letting customers know that they will get their vehicles now in March that were 199s for those without a build week. So I’m afraid (like me for our 150) could be looking for a 21 plate rather than 70. Confirmed no price increase for RDE2. His opinion on any trade tariff is that VW will step in for long-standing orders to ensure not affected. Never know - we could see a drop on VAT. Another thing - bike racks are on back order which must show popularity of the California!

Phil, spoke to my dealer today. He’s in the process of letting customers know that they will get their vehicles now in March that were 199s for those without a build week. So I’m afraid (like me for our 150) could be looking for a 21 plate rather than 70. Confirmed no price increase for RDE2. His opinion on any trade tariff is that VW will step in for long-standing orders to ensure not affected. Never know - we could see a drop on VAT. Another thing - bike racks are on back order which must show popularity of the California!
The trade tariff quote is a little misleading, if Europe do impose any additional tariffs due to Brexit then this would be passed onto the customer and not absorbed by VW. We are now advising all customers off this and 10% tariff increase has been mentioned. If this is the case we will happily let customers cancel their orders and refund their full deposit. This is certainly our stance on this!

I thought that dealerships could have pre-allocated build slots, so maybe others may be more lucky. I spoke with VW chat earlier today - no confirmation either way - they said check back in 7-10 days. Order date 22nd September.
It can depend on the dealers quota which is allocated by vw on a monthly basis, it depends on the size of dealer and target etc. If that dealers quota is full for that month then the order can drop into the following month or month etc.

It does seem interesting the levels of detail we seem to be getting via the VW chat service. The response I seem to get is a standard response and this even looks like a copy paste response given the text is highlighted in blue. .

1602664260058.png

I followed by mentioning that I had heard that the factory capacity was full for 2020, could they confirm this but I was simply told I need to ask again in a weeks time.

The trade tariff quote is a little misleading, if Europe do impose any additional tariffs due to Brexit then this would be passed onto the customer and not absorbed by VW. We are now advising all customers off this and 10% tariff increase has been mentioned. If this is the case we will happily let customers cancel their orders and refund their full deposit. This is certainly our stance on this!
Thank you Shaun for clarifying this. I thought this was the case but didn’t want to disagree about something that may not materialise. My first concern was not being charged for the RDE2 factor. For us as consumers we have little choice given the premiums on used California’s at the moment although this isn’t the case on my 14 month old C-Class that has lost over 50% of its retail value!

It can depend on the dealers quota which is allocated by vw on a monthly basis, it depends on the size of dealer and target etc. If that dealers quota is full for that month then the order can drop into the following month or month etc.

Thanks for your transparency Shaun. (To be clear to others on the forum, we did not order through Shaun)
When ordering we were told they had 8 build slots available this year, so here is hoping we squeeze in.

It does seem interesting the levels of detail we seem to be getting via the VW chat service. The response I seem to get is a standard response and this even looks like a copy paste response given the text is highlighted in blue. .

View attachment 67813

I followed by mentioning that I had heard that the factory capacity was full for 2020, could they confirm this but I was simply told I need to ask again in a weeks time.

I think the reason that my response had a little more detail was due to VW Chat needing to go away and find out more information about my order. The response I posted above was then sent to me by email after they had checked. I ordered through SMG who I am told are a busy dealer who would have likely had plenty of build slots. Maybe I just didn’t get my order though in time.

View attachment 67813

VW are trying their best to pull orders into this year, we have had a few orders pulled forwards (Not california though) so they are right in asking you to contact them again in a few weeks as you may be one of the lucky ones to get your vehicle this year!

We will need a new vehicle added to the forum’s account details vehicle drop down for the 204. I used the 199 for now and still hoping the dealer will call to say my Cali is on its way this year!!

I'm told that any orders that will be built as 199's will have build weeks allocated by the end of this week, this is not official information but is what i have been told. Id advise you all to contact your dealers next week to check on this information.

Thanks,

Shaun

Back