New or used, 1 colour or 2 tone

D

Do we or don't we

Rick
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi first-time poster here.
We are seriously considering purchasing a California and are looking at 2 options
Option 1 - is a used 2-tone 204 registered July 2022 just under 4000 miles currently priced at £76,000
Option 2 - New Fortana red 150 spec'd at £78,932

Option 1 will require me to purchase a tow bar (it has tow bar preparation), a spare wheel, and pay the road tax.
Option 2 comes with everything on option 1 (except 2-tone paint and a more powerful engine) but also includes Trailer Assist, tow bar, heated front screen, and service plan.

We will be getting rid of our current car and this will be our only vehicle, we are both lucky enough to be able to walk to work so no commute we plan to use it to have plenty of weekends away while we look for our perfect retirement destination in 5 years time:)

When we have a holiday lasting a week or more we will also take our small caravan a Knaus Sport & Fun which weighs in at 1,300kg.
We love the 2 -tone but are not sure we really need the more powerful engine along with its reduced fuel economy, although I realize it may help with the towing the majority of our driving will be without the caravan.
Interestingly it looks like the 2 -tone we are interested in may have been owned by a member of this club judging by the badge on the back 1684176173791.png
so if the owner is still using this site any info would be useful.
Does anyone have any advice for this California newby?
Thanking you in advance
Rick

150hp engine less complex as it ages and parts need replacing should be cheaper (assuming you keep it a long time). The daft diamond cut finish alloys on the van youve shown will have peeling lacquer in 12-24months and are worth avoiding.

Fortuna red looks far more classy than the ice cream van in the picture.

If it's a long term purchase I would go for the new van, the 150 engine is adequate.

I am more concerned about the price nearly 80k for a 150 sounds wrong, Drive the deal on a 150 with almost every option ticked comes in at £10k less than that if you can wait for delivery.

I’d go for t option 1. I think it’ll hold its value more when you eventually sell it as the 2 tones are very rare.. I hired a 150bhp Cali before I bought my 199BHP one and the 150 is very underpowered in my view and with your caravan will be even more so.

Option 1 is great, and very similar to our vehicle. I love driving the 204 but appreciate that 150 would have been plenty. Does sit in the outside lane with ease though. I have no interest in MPG and never check. It does feel very expensive though. Once upon a time you would have took 30% off a new price just because it was registered. Not for Calis.

Option 2 IMHO is your better bet. You will get it for about 10% off that from DTD or a good dealer, so comes under the price of the nearly new. Then it is your vehicle, your spec.

I’d go for t option 1. I think it’ll hold its value more when you eventually sell it as the 2 tones are very rare.. I hired a 150bhp Cali before I bought my 199BHP one and the 150 is very underpowered in my view and with your caravan will be even more so.
You can still order a two-tone new. I have never thought of our 150 as underpowered at all. Speed limit when towing a caravan is 60 on the motorway anyway and I can’t imagine it would struggle. Happy to be corrected from those with towing experience with their Cali.

Here are a couple of basic specs for you through Drive the Deal.

1. Two tone (blue/silver) 150 Ocean with tow bar and silver awning: £68,589.

2. Fortana red 150 Ocean with tow bar: £66,320.

Personally, I would buy new but i think you may need to be quick if that’s what you choose. Options seem to be disappearing from the VW configurator as it reaches the end of the line.

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg

I’ve just bought the extended warranty with the all in one package for my used Cali. It’s almost 4 year old with 40K on the clock. You can buy this on any VW vehicle less than 6 year old and less than 100K miles

I’ve just bought the extended warranty with the all in one package for my used Cali. It’s almost 4 year old with 40K on the clock. You can buy this on any VW vehicle less than 6 year old and less than 100K miles
You can’t buy the extended warranty if the van is over 3 months old. It covers more items than the all in one. The all in is only available once the original warranty ends.
I agree it is a good package as I have it for my car but the extended warranty bought in the first 3 months is about £500 for 2 years.

Wow! What a great response thanks to you all for some great advice and useful information.
Looks like new is the way to go probably using Drive The Deal. Does anyone know how things work with DTD regarding an option that is not on their option list are you able to add it once the dealer has made contact? We must have a 5th seat and it is not shown on DTD's list of options although it is still showing on the VW configurator so I guess it is still available.

DTD essentially negotiate a discount as a percentage with a dealer; the dealer is able I think to amend things.

FWIW, while the 2-tone does look good, I remain to be convinced it's worth the money (even with a discount).

Wow! What a great response thanks to you all for some great advice and useful information.
Looks like new is the way to go probably using Drive The Deal. Does anyone know how things work with DTD regarding an option that is not on their option list are you able to add it once the dealer has made contact? We must have a 5th seat and it is not shown on DTD's list of options although it is still showing on the VW configurator so I guess it is still available.
We have just used DTD.

• Do a quote on their website that is "near enough" - then when happy - click on "Order Now"
  • Then a person from DtD will call you - you can amend the order at this point and they will be middle man with you and the dealer. You will get ~8% off extras at this stage
  • When you are happy you pay £1000 to DtD which will come off your final price
  • Then a VW person will call you - you can also change the spec at this point - we didn't but I expect you will pay full price for extras here.

Option 2 as its already set up for towing, and kids won't stand outside it expecting an ice cream.

150 can easily be remapped to 180 which will give more mid range torque which will benefit on the towing side as you wont need to change gear as much.

If you order a new one, then you might not get it for this summer.

Wow, what's with the Ice Cream Van comments? Does no one remember what classic VW's look like? err, 2 tone anyone....

I think your option 1 is a great looking van (although interesting to see the comment on the wheels), but you may find it easier buying new

The comment I remember reading once is "buy the one you like the look of as you'll have to see it everytime you see it on your drive) *or something like that

whatever happens - enjoy!

I have never thought of our 150 as underpowered at all.
I agree with this and you get a perfect spec for you.
The feeling of picking up YOUR own new van is not to be underestimated

Wow, what's with the Ice Cream Van comments? Does no one remember what classic VW's look like? err, 2 tone anyone....
Yes, I remember. They looked liked two tone VW's.

We had a white T2 Viking, white T25, then a white T4....probably because they were originally a builders base van + conversion. But thankfully the launch of Apple products made white an acceptable colour again!

....and now a beige (!) T5.1, only needs washing annually

Last edited:
The 150 is fine for most; I have no problems overtaking in it, it easily gets up to speed and never seems to want for more power or torque. 0-60 is supposed to be around 14 seconds; that's not an untypical figure for a lot of family cars. Plenty of conversions bob around with 110 engines without too much bother. Too much power and the kitchen cupboard will get re-arranged every time you put your foot down.

If it's a long term purchase I would go for the new van, the 150 engine is adequate.

I am more concerned about the price nearly 80k for a 150 sounds wrong, Drive the deal on a 150 with almost every option ticked comes in at £10k less than that if you can wait for delivery.
Ice cream van or Postman Pat red, we all love our vans Andy ;)

The 150 is fine for most; I have no problems overtaking in it, it easily gets up to speed and never seems to want for more power or torque. 0-60 is supposed to be around 14 seconds; that's not an untypical figure for a lot of family cars. Plenty of conversions bob around with 110 engines without too much bother. Too much power and the kitchen cupboard will get re-arranged every time you put your foot down.
Fair point about the kitchen cupboards getting rearranged….

You mean like this one… yellow and rust. Our old T2 is in a sorry state :( Anyone interested in a renovation project?

IMG_2267.jpeg

Last edited:

I love the Ice Cream Can comment Andy. A vehicle people eagerly await to see rollin down the road, a feast for the eyes. Fun, joy and summer pleasure.

I’m so glad I have one!

Last edited:
Back