Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New or used, 1 colour or 2 tone

Fortuna red looks far more classy than the ice cream van in the picture.

If it's a long term purchase I would go for the new van, the 150 engine is adequate.

I am more concerned about the price nearly 80k for a 150 sounds wrong, Drive the deal on a 150 with almost every option ticked comes in at £10k less than that if you can wait for delivery.
I can’t see the resemblance personally ………..

D229E880-4C72-4425-B662-19244CD3FDE8.png

9AC942F7-69A6-4BA2-A220-B6658299E66A.jpeg

Wow! What a great response thanks to you all for some great advice and useful information.
Looks like new is the way to go probably using Drive The Deal. Does anyone know how things work with DTD regarding an option that is not on their option list are you able to add it once the dealer has made contact? We must have a 5th seat and it is not shown on DTD's list of options although it is still showing on the VW configurator so I guess it is still available.
Loads of 5th seats for sale, here and on eBay. Just need to make sure the van has 3 rails, which I think are standard now.

Loads of 5th seats for sale, here and on eBay. Just need to make sure the van has 3 rails, which I think are standard now.
The extra rail is not standard on T6.1 Oceans

I think I ice cream vans would make a great base van for camper conversions. Can’t believe no one else has thought of it…………..Windows already in place and paint job already done……
Also comes with a Fridge/Freezer pre-installed!
In the original livery I think it would be a real head turner… people would be queuing up :)

I am loving the banter about ice cream vans, it certainly wouldn't put me off a 2-tone. As you can see from the images below of our old T4 and our current caravan we like a bit of colour :cool:
hl1cBUJsgKVjyFArvjjVn_uacnCUXDCp0Y-k3l0DEI3xmm6SVfotX2DNQlDphLWBwZuXXQR1whvVGTlAnjAUX8hN9U7Iawjj84mxAOCA_EFhbjpnAK9wNWeRykTo39uCK44-cZuxeMkYbLInNkg_zbuNT0vyYRhG9FRQSLxNV5RvTjs7GIB7-O6Rmj0MJy1-Nx_BpBWjS1hdZ4Qqkg51jxYIMUKfpE-kGOSOzBSNmlIFCrd1ORj3r8vwBJdxNNyYg244fYofFs32oLmQdmgjnj_n8NpEIGwUeejIoCainhkJFFjiAlNOC8nbqzdX2mGe6Iu-Mkyo6wos-bq2ng03Ybn-wQoLTsAIngWYvNh-4UmTfX5TXIEf056MU5a2XfoQpiB0dHFVttjI75LA19PK16CmJekB9h9-DRY5j1dfFZ1yErm6baMXjQMVvPgGxANyFLlPZPXtVtXCXg4oG36mnbL4NnwKKWjXmcDADvK9BiTwPFQfXqiwyvSH-HvfxDDGXLX3RCNDxTfVVyuzfd_UFDWh23hmKEQlbsYiSPiiUqJy6S7Vnex9BAObpHQfN4UiIOZHwCvhssdHr7aYWCxdQMdG2LH1yinGhP2WJMgeoFIIvHRkWmgcX-csVG74kpxUVK_iJOoBF96HDigbd8rV87RdhnKqnT8BjcND_YnMwsJfVJjQ4SZEn92gHS-k2lcy6-PBDdtEXLC-m6UkWVvAIFY94W0LzwnB4d2Qcn_8Z-9fQ3RO561vRt8HgHQp8UBVovXS-W5ThauUXNoT2NdSPgDCjPMWk6g9ThHPb7_kFJoulxOZHULZmzjnIUg4sy3n8IIF4BuxMv0zr1t4mg2JwuB63OTACpVguzftbFi51Y5dIScH-IEmtzTgzJ1HziR9wTGgHxLIOtSBFLCkpbTUOFBDfXo-8Y3e7CAYcwTMIiIJz4dfmJojSAj1oEYP2IW4Kd6_1EJFUVHlTD-7gmt7=w360-h270-s-no

6041446-scaled.jpg

Hi first-time poster here.
We are seriously considering purchasing a California and are looking at 2 options
Option 1 - is a used 2-tone 204 registered July 2022 just under 4000 miles currently priced at £76,000
Option 2 - New Fortana red 150 spec'd at £78,932

Option 1 will require me to purchase a tow bar (it has tow bar preparation), a spare wheel, and pay the road tax.
Option 2 comes with everything on option 1 (except 2-tone paint and a more powerful engine) but also includes Trailer Assist, tow bar, heated front screen, and service plan.

We will be getting rid of our current car and this will be our only vehicle, we are both lucky enough to be able to walk to work so no commute we plan to use it to have plenty of weekends away while we look for our perfect retirement destination in 5 years time:)

When we have a holiday lasting a week or more we will also take our small caravan a Knaus Sport & Fun which weighs in at 1,300kg.
We love the 2 -tone but are not sure we really need the more powerful engine along with its reduced fuel economy, although I realize it may help with the towing the majority of our driving will be without the caravan.
Interestingly it looks like the 2 -tone we are interested in may have been owned by a member of this club judging by the badge on the back View attachment 108533
so if the owner is still using this site any info would be useful.
Does anyone have any advice for this California newby?
Thanking you in advance
Rick
204 all day long

Hey

Personally I’d go for the two tone, we have the same as the one in the picture, they no longer do it and we think it gives the van a “retro feel” which we like.

Two tones will hold a little more value. The 150 has never felt sluggish even when loaded. Ours is the beach but has all tech, parks itself, heated windscreen, lane assist, my understanding is it’s got it all, a beach with 13k on the clock and we paid 72k, extended warranty.

I can honestly say I no longer enjoy driving our car. Mark 7 GTI, these really are worth the splurge !

Hi first-time poster here.
We are seriously considering purchasing a California and are looking at 2 options
Option 1 - is a used 2-tone 204 registered July 2022 just under 4000 miles currently priced at £76,000
Option 2 - New Fortana red 150 spec'd at £78,932

Option 1 will require me to purchase a tow bar (it has tow bar preparation), a spare wheel, and pay the road tax.
Option 2 comes with everything on option 1 (except 2-tone paint and a more powerful engine) but also includes Trailer Assist, tow bar, heated front screen, and service plan.

We will be getting rid of our current car and this will be our only vehicle, we are both lucky enough to be able to walk to work so no commute we plan to use it to have plenty of weekends away while we look for our perfect retirement destination in 5 years time:)

When we have a holiday lasting a week or more we will also take our small caravan a Knaus Sport & Fun which weighs in at 1,300kg.
We love the 2 -tone but are not sure we really need the more powerful engine along with its reduced fuel economy, although I realize it may help with the towing the majority of our driving will be without the caravan.
Interestingly it looks like the 2 -tone we are interested in may have been owned by a member of this club judging by the badge on the back View attachment 108533
so if the owner is still using this site any info would be useful.
Does anyone have any advice for this California newby?
Thanking you in advance
Rick

150hp engine less complex as it ages and parts need replacing should be cheaper (assuming you keep it a long time). The daft diamond cut finish alloys on the van youve shown will have peeling lacquer in 12-24months and are worth avoiding.

I think it depends what you wash the alloys with, if you take it to a £15 a go hand car wash then yes, they spray all sorts on them. Using a decent shampoo and water does not peel alloys.

You can still order a two-tone new. I have never thought of our 150 as underpowered at all. Speed limit when towing a caravan is 60 on the motorway anyway and I can’t imagine it would struggle. Happy to be corrected from those with towing experience with their Cali.
That bay leaf green though is now not available in two tone

Exactly, it will be rare and will command more cash when it sells…….

I think it depends what you wash the alloys with, if you take it to a £15 a go hand car wash then yes, they spray all sorts on them. Using a decent shampoo and water does not peel alloys.
Damage is more likely caused by Road salt which is very corrosive.

Damage is more likely caused by Road salt which is very corrosive.

Perhaps, I’ve got a 10 year old GTI with no alloy corrosion and an 18 month old Beach with those alloys and all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with option 3, where I spec my own vehicle and get a good discount through dtd or dealer match. Colour and engine size are personnel choice but would prefer the tow bar to be fitted at manufacturer. May work out cheaper than option 1 or 2 but will have a wait, although delivery times look a lot quicker than then have been.

Our van is called Pat what colour is she granddaughters named her.

I personally would go with whatever makes you have the biggest grin on your face.

A lot (not all) of missing options can be retrofitted and towbars are the simplest and most straightforward of all. Dealerships rarely fit them themselves even if you ask them to do so - they will mostly get a local auto electrician / towbar installer to do it. I wouldn’t let that hold you back. Find a well recommended one (if you’re nr Saffron Walden I can recommend you mine who’s been doing towbars and auto electric jobs for me for years).

I’ve had two 150ps vans now (Westfalia KeplerOne and Cali Ocean) and don’t view them as underpowered. That’s coming from Porsche MacanS and Cayenne GTS as other dailies. You can make very decent progress given you’re in a van and not a sports car.

We’ve gone with the 150’s because the spec of the hab vans have been more important than the power of the engine. But if a nicely optioned (or two tone) van came along in 204, I’d go with that also.

MPG at the end of the day isn’t the be all and end all.

Couple of comments about towing, we pull a Bailey Verona Pegasis with our 150. No power issues it sits happily at 60 on the motorways, and there is no changing gears as its auto. Overall a better drive than towing with a car and returns around 25mpg which is comparable with a car.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have a 69 plate T6.1 Ocean 150

Plenty of power imho, 110 mph top speed, how much more would anyone want from a camper?

It's a 2 tone and I like the look :)

PS I paid £50k
Try Liverpool Vans

Back