Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New option for the California

Serious suggestion, make the foldable Multi-Flex (as designed by @Max-Felix) which is available on new Beaches an option on the Ocean/ Coast.

It’s already been designed and executed in Beach, just needs to be implemented with the kitchen unit.
Looking at how it’s mounted, the fixings look identical to those in the ocean. It might be a straight ( but probably expensive) swap.

A quick release lever for the backs of the two front seats, so you can angle them forward without having to wind the knob at the base.
is much better this make electric 1 press button - chair align self then turn.

Electric hook-up connection behind rear, nearside panel below lights. As in past, option of air-suspension. Various opinions for size of inverter eg 1000watt. Lithium Leisure Batteries. Electronic push button handbrake. Cab radio/lights to work off leisure batteries. Colour changing mod lighting. Outside courtesy light. Hybrid (at least 40 mile battery range). A no gas option, induction hob alternative option (combined with 2000 watt inverter and large capacity lithium batteries). Option to have double passenger front flip-over seat or turning. Carbon fibre poptop. The whole of the poptop roof to be a solar panel. Very deep pockets. "please and thank you"

Electric hook-up connection behind rear, nearside panel below lights. As in past, option of air-suspension. Various opinions for size of inverter eg 1000watt. Lithium Leisure Batteries. Electronic push button handbrake. Cab radio/lights to work off leisure batteries. Colour changing mod lighting. Outside courtesy light. Hybrid (at least 40 mile battery range). A no gas option, induction hob alternative option (combined with 2000 watt inverter and large capacity lithium batteries). Option to have double passenger front flip-over seat or turning. Carbon fibre poptop. The whole of the poptop roof to be a solar panel. Very deep pockets. "please and thank you"

A solar panel pop top would be superb and I reckon 400-500 watts. And cost £2000+

All the head rests to slide in flush with the seat tops.
A long wheelbase version.

Option for a single gas burner hob, enabling a small area of fixed ‘work surface’ where the other burner would be.

A slot in each of the front doors (on the door shuts) and an umbrella in each slot - used to have these in a Skoda Superb & loved them. I’m easily pleased!

1. External co-ax connector for TV aerial. (Maybe under EHU flap)
2. Finer mesh in pop-top vents (Midge proof)
3. Factory fitted solar panels (or wiring only with external connector in pop-top roof)
Are the pop-top vents not midge proof? Surely they must be.

1.Some simple small shelves above the rear wheel arches (or remould the trim it’s a flatter top). Perfect for morning coffee when you’re lying in the ‘downstairs’ bed.

• gas/electric water boiler
  • solar panel
  • bigger water storage in expense for smaller grey water tank
  • stiffer suspension
  • S mode back to DSG gearbox
Hard to believe the first two are still not an option, or even standard!

• gas/electric water boiler
  • solar panel
  • bigger water storage in expense for smaller grey water tank
  • stiffer suspension
  • S mode back to DSG gearbox
Hard to believe the first two are still not an option, or even standard!

Having had a few nights in another vehicle, I can only concur with most of that.

Having hot water running out of the tap is something that has added so much. As a Die hard Cali owner I could never see the point of it but now, camping in miserable weather, just able to wash the dirt off my hands with instant hot water, is brilliant. a 100l fresh water tank is also rather useful.

I'm also driving a vehicle with a much firmer suspension and it handles bumps and potholes with none of the suspension crashing drama of the Cali. Again as a mechanical ignoramus I could never understand the "suspension stiffening" debates but wow, what a difference from a cheap and cheerful Fiat Ducato base. I no longer wince when driving over rough, broken roads.

The Fiat Ducato drives like a dustcart compared to the nimble-footed transporter but with a 9 speed auto box and a mode selector it performs beautifully on busy roundabouts.

Last edited:
Having had a few nights in another vehicle, I can only concur with most of that.

Having hot water running out of the tap is something that has added so much. As a Die hard Cali owner I could never see the point of it but now, camping in miserable weather, just able to wash the dirt off my hands with instant hot water, is brilliant. a 100l fresh water tank is also rather useful.

I'm also driving a vehicle with a much firmer suspension and it handles bumps and potholes with none of the suspension crashing drama of the Cali. Again as a mechanical ignoramus I could never understand the "suspension stiffening" debates but wow, what a difference from a cheap and cheerful Fiat Ducato base. I no longer wince when driving over rough, broken roads.

The Fiat Ducato drives like a dustcart compared to the nimble-footed transporter but with a 9 speed auto box and a mode selector it performs beautifully on busy roundabouts.
well, I don't think we can make such a general statement. The Ducatos often have 15"-16"wheel with pretty high sidewalls, while many people with Calis seem to be unhappy with the already bigger 17" and opt for 18". That makes a huge difference driving through potholes.

If we want to have 100L tanks, boiler+gas for hot water etc, we are going to struggle to remain within 5m lenght and 2meters height, and been lighter at 3t. It would be a different vehicle with different purpose, IMO.

well, I don't think we can make such a general statement. The Ducatos often have 15"-16"wheel with pretty high sidewalls, while many people with Calis seem to be unhappy with the already bigger 17" and opt for 18". That makes a huge difference driving through potholes.

If we want to have 100L tanks, boiler+gas for hot water etc, we are going to struggle to remain within 5m lenght and 2meters height, and been lighter at 3t. It would be a different vehicle with different purpose, IMO.

Yes, I agree. There is a limit that you can fit to a 5m * 2m *2m box. To fit everything in means going higher and longer, hence why quite a few ask "why, if we can have a GC, can we not have a LWB C.

The vehicle I am in now means totally surrendering the 2m height advantage which I needed for my last, 46 day, trip cycling 1500k,

Completely horses for courses. This trip I am on now entails towing a caravan, putting it and the vehicle on a hardstanding and not moving the vehicle for 5 days. The Ayers Rock I am in is perfect for that but no good for my usual use of a Cali.

Switchable glass eliminating the need for blinds
Good idea that.
Mind you, when the Camping Control unit throws a wobbly you might have a blacked out Cali you can’t drive :)

Yeah - what you really need is a light to hang on *somebody else's* awning...
From my latest experience at Damage Barton, I think just about everyone else has got more than enough external lighting. SeemEd to be the fashion to have a strip light on your caravan/motor home bright enough to be seen from the other side of the Bristol Channel!

Back