Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would anyone consider a 'California' self-build to beat the high prices at the moment?

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Kate
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Browsing eBay, as I do, I found a complete California interior, roof, seats and kitchen for sale, with a fitted price of £18,995 by the well known Kernow Transporters down in Cornwall (£12k supply only).

Thought I'd check out what kind of price you can pick up a T6 Transporter for and you can get something half decent for £20k. This one is less than that and is a T32, which could be good for those who want a bigger payload.

So you could get a <5yr old camper on the road for less than £40k, which is a lot less than they are selling for at the moment in that spec.

Appreciate it's not a 'factory fitted California' but I wonder if anyone would ever consider going down this route, instead of an aftermarket conversion, if vans continue to get more expensive and out of many people's reach? Theoretically, you could fit in a LWB, which appears to bring the base van price down further, and give you extra room too.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I cannot imagine how it came up for sale other than from a write-off. Wondering if any of it is bent/distorted? If they guaranteed the work, then it'd be worth looking at.

Although as above, I'd go down the self-build route (hypothetically speaking - self build is a homologation nightmare in Spain which is why I ordered a Cali and didn't convert my Multivan!)

I think you can get a 5ish year old Cali for £40k, or near as, certainly low 40’s
I certainly would not want a twin slider shuttle converted.
as said above, if I was doing a conversion it wouldn’t make it a Cali copy. The price difference isn’t enough.

Conversions should start to improve as VWCV has launched a motorhome qualification scheme to ensure high standards are followed via aftermarket converters. To by with confidence when buying a VW based campervan.

To be included converters must meet the national or European type approval and past National Caravan Council standards.

Just read this in this months Camping & Caravanning

I think you can get a 5ish year old Cali for £40k, or near as, certainly low 40’s
I certainly would not want a twin slider shuttle converted.
as said above, if I was doing a conversion it wouldn’t make it a Cali copy. The price difference isn’t enough.
True, I've seen a few five year old T5's for mid-forties, but if VW keep putting their prices up, second hand prices are likely to keep going up.

It's no coincidence that there is just a little 'profit / saving' once you've gone off piste with this 'nearly a Cali' vs the real thing for a couple of £k more. That calculation is exactly how Kernow will have arrived at the offer price for the bits + fitting.

It's no coincidence that there is just a little 'profit / saving' once you've gone off piste with this 'nearly a Cali' vs the real thing for a couple of £k more. That calculation is exactly how Kernow will have arrived at the offer price for the bits + fitting.
I think you might be right there.

The couple of grands you save now, you forfeit once you sell it. So you haven’t saved anything really, and just drove a ”nearly a Cali”.

The beauty of self builds is that you can configure them to your needs and budget. and you can change things that you find don’t work very well. I have seen some stunning self builds.

The beauty of self builds is that you can configure them to your needs and budget. and you can change things that you find don’t work very well. I have seen some stunning self builds.

Absolutely. there are some fantastic option out there. There are also some not so great but each to their own.

I was thinking more for those who can’t afford a Cali but really want what it offers.

I don’t think this is that unusual. I’ve seen lots of complete Cali interiors on eBay (Kernow Transporters are currently advertising the internal cupboards/kitchen units alone for £2,495) and when I was looking to buy myself I came across at least two vans that turned out to be ‘converted’ Calis - though in both cases the seller (both trade sales) didn’t make it clear in the adverts. You had to look closer at the detail to realise (one was very height mileage and a ‘special edition’ base van which raised my suspicions, the other had a manual roof so might have been a converted Beach - and no it wasn’t a Coast). They were slightly cheaper than comparable ‘real’ Calis, which is why they caught my eye, but not cheap enough that I wouldn’t want to spend a little extra to get the real thing (or buy a slightly older original Cali for the same money).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the OP wasn't talking about a self build/self design but recreating a California by installing a California interior into a donor van so not much in the way of creativity.

But the OP wasn't talking about a self build/self design but recreating a California by installing a California interior into a donor van so not much in the way of creativity.
Yes, I was failing to make the point that if you are going to do a self build, the main benefit is to make it bespoke.

When 2009 vans are being advertised at £30-35k, I can see how someone might be tempted to buy a newer van and convert; I’m sure you could pick up a transporter for a lot less than 20k. I can also see the appeal for someone to get a LWB twin slider too, especially if they needed to have the fifth seat in for each journey.

I’m aware that a Cali has always been a rather expensive option but the recent price hikes and further ones to come, will only make it more and more unobtainable.

As I said earlier, I have my van, and I’m not looking to buy anything else, I just wanted to gauge opinion.

Not sure I would pay for a ‘genuine fake’ Cali, but I can see why people would. Personally, I have come from self-conversion to Cali. Yes the Cali is undoubtedly the nicest but we made great memories in our first van that probably inspired us to get the Cali, and no regrets. Although I do miss the long wheel base!

...I’m not suggesting anyone should do this and advertise it as a genuine California btw.

A good Conversion including roof could set you back £20,000 so this, fitted, is a good bargain. The only limitation is on vehicle choice in the UK, unless you went for a LHD to convert.
It would be like a fake Rolex watch. It would do the business, would look like an original from a distance but not bare upto close scrutiny. Spares would be readily available.

No I wouldnt - I think by introducing the "budget" Coast to the UK which you could price at £50k brand new they have reduced the large price gap between a Cali & a conversion, capturing the market that maybe would have been tempted by a cheaper conversion.

Browsing eBay, as I do, I found a complete California interior, roof, seats and kitchen for sale, with a fitted price of £18,995 by the well known Kernow Transporters down in Cornwall (£12k supply only).

Thought I'd check out what kind of price you can pick up a T6 Transporter for and you can get something half decent for £20k. This one is less than that and is a T32, which could be good for those who want a bigger payload.

So you could get a <5yr old camper on the road for less than £40k, which is a lot less than they are selling for at the moment in that spec.

Appreciate it's not a 'factory fitted California' but I wonder if anyone would ever consider going down this route, instead of an aftermarket conversion, if vans continue to get more expensive and out of many people's reach? Theoretically, you could fit in a LWB, which appears to bring the base van price down further, and give you extra room too.

Any thoughts?

It’s a no from me

Youd need to find a twin slider or base van with door on correct side wouldn't you?

Hi
You would need to find out if you can reclassify the van as a motor home. The DVLA have clamped down in this and in reading other forums you might find that you cannot build a homebuilt Cali and then get it reclassified. A few years ago it was easy to convert a van and reclassify it. I am not sure what the camper van converters are doing but they may have a converter scheme that allows them to reclassify.
My local dealer used to have a couple of converted vans on the forecourt. They were not Calis but were converted locally. The dealer sourced a suitable high spec vehicle and got it converted. They were around £48k and seems nicely fitted out.
If you cannot reclassify it then you may have to pay higher insurance and you will be limited to lower speed limits.
whilst this might not worry you but when you come to resell if will affect the price and then the difference might not be worth it.
Just check with the DVLA there is some guidance on the internet but a phone would ensure what can and cannot be done.

Hi
You would need to find out if you can reclassify the van as a motor home. The DVLA have clamped down in this and in reading other forums you might find that you cannot build a homebuilt Cali and then get it reclassified. A few years ago it was easy to convert a van and reclassify it. I am not sure what the camper van converters are doing but they may have a converter scheme that allows them to reclassify.
My local dealer used to have a couple of converted vans on the forecourt. They were not Calis but were converted locally. The dealer sourced a suitable high spec vehicle and got it converted. They were around £48k and seems nicely fitted out.
If you cannot reclassify it then you may have to pay higher insurance and you will be limited to lower speed limits.
whilst this might not worry you but when you come to resell if will affect the price and then the difference might not be worth it.
Just check with the DVLA there is some guidance on the internet but a phone would ensure what can and cannot be done.
All good points and I’d not thought about the DVLA classification aspect before.

BTW, I’m not looking to do this, as I have my own Cali, I just wanted to gauge people’s perspectives on this kind of conversion.

The term "self build" implies doing it yourself. That might be an interesting project for some but not for me I'm afraid. I don't have the facilities, or the patience to complete such a monumental task. Years ago possibly but not anymore. These days I would rather buy an oven ready job or not bother.

If you get someone else to do the conversion then it will work out expensive. So expensive I suspect that it would be better to either scrap the idea or wait and save up the extra for the genuine article. Then there's the resale value. A "self build" Cali might seem like a good idea but will the considerable costs involved in buying and converting be realised when you come to sell it? A genuine Cali will hold or maybe even increase it's value. I doubt if the same could be said for a self build.

The provenance and condition of the donor parts would also concern me. Were they removed from a vehilcle that had been written off or stolen? If it's the former, are the parts twisted, cracked or damaged? You may not discover any faults until you come to fit them. If they were from a stolen/recovered write off then fine. But if the stolen parts have come straight from a red hot Cali how would you know? You would definitely need proof of origin.

Finally there's the fit and finish. Having an eye for detail, anything that isn't just right would constantly annoy me. So any "self build" would have to be of impeccable quality or for me at least, it would be a non starter.

So in short, it's not something I would ever consider.

Back