Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking the plunge

garyrobellis

garyrobellis

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi Guys and Girls,
About to buy one of the last T5's from a dealer in or around the Essex area.
Questions:-
1/ Is a California best serviced by the commercial van dealer or can my local VW dealer do the job?
2/ Who are the best insurance agents?
3/ Is the 4 wheel drive option worth the fuel penalty? (one bad winter or a mud field could make it worth it?)
4/ Is the extra cost for the paint and trim protection treatment worth it?

Look forward to hearing your replies.
Cheers Gary

1: I only take mine to part of the VW commercial network. I'm not sure that the retail network will do it.

2: A lot to choose from, I use comfort, the Caravan club have been close.

3: Yes. Whatever you will think you will do with a Cali now may all change once that spirit of freedom and adventure takes over. Last week saw me negotiating a rather boggy mudflat with a fast-rising tide approaching. Rapid heart beats are often frequently found with cali owners.

4: No, imo.

2. I'm 'up north' and not in a great postcode and comfort can never get close to either the caravan club or the camping and caravanning club, so do check them all. They are £200 vs £450 for less than £20k's worth of lhd van.

Caravan Club give 2 years GAP insurance on new vehicles. I, personally believe the LifeShine protection is worth it. 3 yrs cover and over £80 worth of cleaning products given. I have used it before and used their warranty for a seat stain. Full, top of the range Valeting that sorted the problem. It is Insurance, you may never use it, but then you might. Your choice.
4Motion gives, I believe a more "planted" ride and can be useful on wet grassy campsites not just mud or snow. Depends if you are planning on using it all year round.

Hi and welcome , ahh one of the last T5 's.....are we getting emotional?
Have great trips in it ....pics and a name must follow!

Hi Guys and Girls,
About to buy one of the last T5's from a dealer in or around the Essex area.
Questions:-
1/ Is a California best serviced by the commercial van dealer or can my local VW dealer do the job?
2/ Who are the best insurance agents?
3/ Is the 4 wheel drive option worth the fuel penalty? (one bad winter or a mud field could make it worth it?)
4/ Is the extra cost for the paint and trim protection treatment worth it?

Look forward to hearing your replies.
Cheers Gary
Hello Gary and welcome.

1. I tried to book our Cali in with the local VW car dealer and they said they were not allowed to service them.
2. Ask a Meerkat
3. With 4wd you can confidently pick any spot on the camp site where others fear to tread. If you can afford a Cali you can afford the extra fuel!
4. Not in my opinion; I think it's just a way for the dealer to increase his margins.

You could try and find a Joint Dealership. South Hereford has such a setup. Joint showroom and a joint workshop all on 1 site. One reception and one Service Manager.

Dare I say...

Odd time to buy a T5 unless you're getting a very very good discount :)

Not really. Most of the bugs have been sorted. With the T6 and its 6000 changes then there is plenty of room for T6 bugs to raise their heads, especially with the new engines.:thumb

Not really. Most of the bugs have been sorted. With the T6 and its 6000 changes then there is plenty of room for T6 bugs to raise their heads, especially with the new engines.:thumb
I totally agree. At this time, a T5 is likely to be a much better purchase. I have purchased lots of new cars over the years and have only once bought one of the first of a new model. On that occasion, I was wooed by a gorgeous VW Golf GT tdi at the London motor show. As soon as the first one arrived at my local VW showroom, I bought it. This model then featured heavily on that consumer programme that Esther Ranson use to appear on. Sorry can't remember its name. These wretched things plagued many new owners with alarm problems. In my case, that bloody alarm woke me up four times on the first night I first brought it home. In the end the only way I could stop it going off was to sleep in it, unlocked with the keys in the ignition! It took months for VW to effect a permanent fix for this issue and another with the gearbox, by which time I was so fed up with it that I got rid of it.
The moral of this story for me is:
1. Never buy a car with your heart and not your head.
2. Always go for the last of the previous model. These cars are usually well sorted and often come with end of line goodies that were previously expensive optional extras.
I fully intend to have a T6 sometime but not until all the inevitable initial bugs have been ironed out and us brits get offered options like adaptive suspension.

Last edited: