Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean TDi order with DSG and 4Motion

Shane Bennett

Shane Bennett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We were about to place an order today for a new Ocean from the factory with TDi, DSG and 4Motion and it appears 4Motion is only available on manual transmission. The configurator also shows the same but from reading the forums the configurator is a bit of a mess anyway.

Has anyone order this type of setup? Also while I'm open to not having 4Motion has anyone been any a situation where the standard 2 wheel drive was sufficient. We do not plan to wild camp or anything so I'm not so sure we will run into a situation where we would need it, but wanted to get input from other owners.

Thanks

The Cali is fwd and apparently is quite capable getting off wet and soggy ground. I have 4 motion but can only think of a couple of times when I was grateful for it, and I do a lot of remote camping all year round.

Going forward I will be quite happy with FWD as I put winter wheels on anyway October to April.

Having only 2WD has caused me potential embarrassment twice. Once on wet/fragile turf and once trying to get up a steep gravel pathway. Fortunately, to disappointment of onlookers, I got away with it both times after a bit of scrabbling.

On the road, no issues. In the process of switching to all-season tyres which should improve winter traction further.

Tyres are more important than 4 wheel drive.

Good tyres on Fwd can beat bad tyres on 4 wheel drive any time.

I'm waiting to put my order in for a 204 DSG 4motion, I could compromise in some way but have decided that if I'm paying that much for a van then I want to have no regrets re my purchase.

The concensus from the various dealers I've spoken to is that this model will come back on sooner rather than later so I've decided to play the waiting game.

The concensus from the various dealers I've spoken to is that this model will come back on sooner rather than later so I've decided to play the waiting game.

Yeah I think we might hold back a bit as well to do the same. I really want 4Motion on the van. Looking at VW Germany and Spain both have the 204, TDi, 4Motion, DSG. We go to Spain often in the winter months and driving through northern Spain can be tricky with road conditions.

Back