Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Coast old iPod

T

TrevorW

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I’ve got the basic infotainment system in my new Coast and it’s all set up and working for Apple play for my iPhone. I tried to connect my old (15 years or so) iPod via the usb and the screen said ‘ not supported’ . Then I tried the iPod using the usb adapter that I use to connect older things to my new laptop but that also gave ‘ not supported’. Any suggestions for connecting the ipod please?

As I understand Apple CarPlay requires a minimum version of iOS to work, so you should try to update your iPod to the latest version. However, if your iPod is unable to support the required version you may be stuck. A workaround would be to use the AUX connection.

As I understand Apple CarPlay requires a minimum version of iOS to work, so you should try to update your iPod to the latest version. However, if your iPod is unable to support the required version you may be stuck. A workaround would be to use the AUX connection.
Thanks Jonathan. The iPod has got the most up to date version it can take. I’ve looked for the AUX connection but can’t see one. Where is it please?

Thanks Jonathan. The iPod has got the most up to date version it can take. I’ve looked for the AUX connection but can’t see one. Where is it please?
If it’s the same, on the T5 it’s in the glove box.

There isn't one. The only connections to the infotainment system on the 6.1 are via the 2 USB Type C ports or via Bluetooth.

There isn't one. The only connections to the infotainment system on the 6.1 are via the 2 USB Type C ports or via Bluetooth.
And another reason why the T5 represents "Peak Cali". Hehe.

I use Bluetooth to connect either of both my i-pods, one is older than the other, iPod touch version 6.1.6, Bluetooth is already there. No problem connects just the same way as phone and thinks it is a phone even if it is not. Only problem is unable to control it while driving and have to start playing before driving off and it will turn off when the radio is turned off. My van is basic and so is the radio. I do not connect my phone so you may not be able to use the phone and i-pod at the same time.

Last edited:
I’ve got the basic infotainment system in my new Coast and it’s all set up and working for Apple play for my iPhone. I tried to connect my old (15 years or so) iPod via the usb and the screen said ‘ not supported’ . Then I tried the iPod using the usb adapter that I use to connect older things to my new laptop but that also gave ‘ not supported’. Any suggestions for connecting the ipod please?
Why not run your music from the iPhone and save the hassle of multiple devices? Your phone probably has better capacity than an old iPod anyway.

I don’t believe CarPlay works with iPods!

Like others have said, if you have an iPhone, transfer the music to your iPhone and put the iPhone in.

CarPlay is way more than just music.

A cheap option is to buy a memory stick, transfer your music and leave it plugged into one of the type C USB ports. The infotainment system then recognises the memory stick via the "media" input.

Bluetooth transmitter as mentioned. Old iPods had really weird drive formatting so I doubt you'll ever get it working as an actual drive.

if there's no AUX IN (headphone type socket) then you're knackered - all those bluetooth adapters are a massive PITA in my experience.

my head unit has an SD card slot (opposite side to the nav SD card slot) which I think is limited to 32GB (?) - certainly smaller than my final gen classic iPod - but mostly use my iPhone via bluetooth now.

Thanks for those clarifications. I did search the cab and manual for details of other sockets but nothing there.sounds like old iPods are unsupported so no go there. I did have a Bluetooth adaptor my old Volvo but found it troublesome. I also tested a usb drive with songs yesterday but saw that you couldn’t navigate between albums / tracks much and pay attention to the road.

The sd card is an option but I’ve got 70gb’s worth of songs and didn’t know about the 32gb limit so would have to spend time cutting that down before transfer. The iPhone capacity is sufficient but how do you transfer from the iPod ( via some external drive?)and then would I have to start again when I upgrade the phone?

Mmm- looks like having all the music at my fingertips and being able to navigate via the dash screen whilst driving will take some time.

Thanks for those clarifications. I did search the cab and manual for details of other sockets but nothing there.sounds like old iPods are unsupported so no go there. I did have a Bluetooth adaptor my old Volvo but found it troublesome. I also tested a usb drive with songs yesterday but saw that you couldn’t navigate between albums / tracks much and pay attention to the road.

The sd card is an option but I’ve got 70gb’s worth of songs and didn’t know about the 32gb limit so would have to spend time cutting that down before transfer. The iPhone capacity is sufficient but how do you transfer from the iPod ( via some external drive?)and then would I have to start again when I upgrade the phone?

Mmm- looks like having all the music at my fingertips and being able to navigate via the dash screen whilst driving will take some time.

I’m quite happy to help you with this, probably easier on the phone or video chat.

The first question is where did the music on your iPod come from? If you have a computer with all your music on then it should be fairly straightforward.

You can manage the content of your Apple Music library via the Music app on your laptop. Assuming that's how you loaded the iPod in the first place, the files should all be there and its just a case of connecting the iPhone and loading all the tunes up to it (or a selection if you prefer to edit the collection).

I use an old 2nd generation ipod connected to aftermarket headunit via USB. I do quite often get the Error or Not Supported message on connecting IF I do so with a flat ipod battery. Otherwise works fine.

I've used iPods in my T5 Cali & the T6 we have now. I press the Media button on the Infotainment system, plug in the iPod with the Apple lead that has a USB plug on the end of it. The system recognises it and offers options to play files. Search through the files until you find the ones from your iPod, select the Album you want and it will play. Mine also brings up the album art that I have put on for each album on the Infotainment screen. The volume automatically lowers if you receive a phone call. The iPod is recharged when it is plugged in.
It's then easy to shift between the albums on the screen and you can skip forwards or backwards on tracks on the MFSW controls.
If it helps I can post some pictures of what you see at each stage.

Thanks for this. I’ve just tried my iPod in my T6 Cali Ocean and it works a treat, just like the iPod itself. You can select Artists or Albums and display the track list and the artwork on the Screen and select from there. I’m not sure my wife will be too happy that I can now play my collection of heavy metal and prog rock in the van!

I don’t believe CarPlay works with iPods!

Like others have said, if you have an iPhone, transfer the music to your iPhone and put the iPhone in.

CarPlay is way more than just music.
Yes it does. I’ve just tried mine in the van - see above post.

Thanks for this. I’ve just tried my iPod in my T6 Cali Ocean and it works a treat, just like the iPod itself. You can select Artists or Albums and display the track list and the artwork on the Screen and select from there. I’m not sure my wife will be too happy that I can now play my collection of heavy metal and prog rock in the van!
Thats where I play much of my 70s music too. On my 4 hour drives to Snowdonia to volunteer up there. Glad it worked for you.
Simon

Can anybody help me here please - so the 2 USBs in the front are for USB Type C - is there an adaptor available to connect to charge your iphone whilst driving? Thanks

RE: "how do you transfer from the iPod"

I use Copytrans so I can put audio books on my i-pod and copy off things I have on it.