Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ipod connections

H

Harrythecat

VIP Member
I've got a 140SE with the standard radio/CD and want to be able to play the ipod through the system.

The local car audio people, who I've used for other things, tell me they have two options. One just cons the system that the ipod is a CD and gives basic info. (track number) while the other gives further information such as track identity. Both can be cabled to the glove box or dash.

I'm sure the cheaper version (at £99 fitted) gives you no control over the ipod through the radio system. Not sure about the other system which is £125.

Is the £125 system the way to go or is there a better option in a sensible price range? If it is the right way would it be best to route it to an ipod dock on the dash for easy control?

:?:

I would think the part they are offering a Connects 2 or similar.

VW offer a retrofit kit for the MDI. Slightly more expensive but of course OEM so designed to work with your van.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the media interface and ipod dock in glovebox option...which is not factory fitted but done by dealership b4 collection (I think!) it was listed as a sep charge item on details....£257
a lot i know but works a treat and controlled via radio buttons..
check out what the local dealership says....always worth sticking with VW done stuff like this I reckon, if its affordable...

You could also combine it with a bluetooth phone kit that VW produce that should allow you to stream music via bluetooth.

cheers

The Parrot Bluetooth such as the MKi9200 is a good option, we've got one in our van.

I had a Dension unit fited to a 2008 Civic - it was wired into the Aerial point on the radio - to be clear, it wasn't a wireless connection, but hardwired to the aerial and then you tuned to a set frequency and it was rubbish to be honest - wouldn't do that again for what it cost me, volume of playback was low and the connection became unreliable over time.

The Parrot connection is great, the phone works well and you can even connect two bluetooth phones at the same time! If the first phone is busy on the Parrot when the second one rings, it will just ring the phone as normal, but if the Parrot is free it will go through handsfree.

For the money (about £200 fitted) it represents good value and Parrot do make good handsfree too - better than most in-car ones (like on my new Mini) - with voice answer and reject.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll have a look at that too. The functionality looks quite good. Not sure about the extra 'screen' though!

Funny you should mention the extra screen as in our van it was installed INSIDE the glovebox - so the previous owner must have felt the same.

Ian

Emptied the glovebox of sweets and CD's plus other rubbish today and found and 'aux. input' connection for some size of jack plug. Would that be an option? If so I assume it wouldn't give you any control through the media display? :?:

Harrythecat said:
Emptied the glovebox of sweets and CD's plus other rubbish today and found and 'aux. input' connection for some size of jack plug. Would that be an option? If so I assume it wouldn't give you any control through the media display? :?:

Correct it is literally just a music input. If you want control you need the mdi kit.

Re: Ipod connections - update

Interesting experience at the local vehicle audio firm 'Autotek' this morning:

Booked in to have a 'media interface' cable fitted into the glovebox from the radio/CD system. Once they had dismantled the facia and removed the unit the technician found that it had no apparent ability to link to 'media' other than by the basic 'aux in' socket already installed in the glovebox.

He ended up calling the local VW van centre who told him that after 2011 the radio in the 140SE had been changed. It was apparently the RCD310 up to that point but it's successor appears to have less functionality. The bottom line is that they couldn't fit a media interface cable as there is no 'interface' capability in the radio set. :eek:

After much head scratching we went for a Parrot kit instead. I wanted to avoid non standard 'bits' ideally but, short of replacing the radio system, I was left with little option.

Still, they did manage to fit the screen in a pretty unobtrusive position (over one of the 'blanks' near to the steering wheel) and the 'remote' fits quite nicely underneath it over another blank. So it's not all bad ;)

Back