Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

iPod connector

N

nickstjt

VIP Member
Hi,
Got my new California yesterday and it includes a USB interface to the (standard) radio. I can plug in a memory stick with MP3s and navigate the directory structure and play the music fine. But I can't get any of the iPods I tried to work. I am just using the regular white iPod lead from Apple and using that to connect into the USB port - is that correct, or is there a different lead that VW supply that will plug directly into the iPod where the standard white lead plugs in?
Thanks!
--Nick

Is this in the glovebox Nick?

If so then they are normally supplied with the car. The interface is known as MDI.

iPod cable: Part Number 000 051 446 C

$%28KGrHqUOKjkE6,,rd5g1BPN5zFy3KQ~~60_35.JPG

Available from dealers but possibly cheaper on eBay.

Hi Stu,
Thanks, no, it isn't. I specifically said I wanted an iPod connection and that appeared on the order as a "USB interface", which is what an iPod lead connects to so I assumed it was correct. When I collected the car I tried plugging in an iPod while the salesman was there and it wouldn't work, but he didn't point out any issue with what I was doing. Still waiting for them to get back to me on this. Hopefully they will do the right thing and pop one in the post to me.
Cheers,
--Nick

nickstjt said:
Hi Stu,
Thanks, no, it isn't. I specifically said I wanted an iPod connection and that appeared on the order as a "USB interface", which is what an iPod lead connects to so I assumed it was correct. When I collected the car I tried plugging in an iPod while the salesman was there and it wouldn't work, but he didn't point out any issue with what I was doing. Still waiting for them to get back to me on this. Hopefully they will do the right thing and pop one in the post to me.
Cheers,
--Nick

There should be an AUX jack socket , as I have one in my caddy in the glove box area as well ... I was told they are standard .....

What's this lead then nick ... Does it plug into the standard head unit ??

Hmm I'm confused then. The only USB connector I'm aware of that VW do is the MDI, unless they've fitted something aftermarket. Where do you plug in the USB?

I've got a proper iPod connector that I added as an option. It plugs directly into the back of the iPod using the iPod's specific connector.

Californiaman said:
I've got a proper iPod connector that I added as an option. It plugs directly into the back of the iPod using the iPod's specific connector.

Was that a factory option Cali-man ???

Or from the dealer ?

Hmmmm,

Hazzy dayz are fitting a media interface to my California tomorrow so I'll make sure I don't leave without the physical lead that I'll need so thanks for the heads up. I''ll let folks know if that is something I have to pay extra for...

(they are also fitting rns510, Bluetooth, and VW reversing camera so I'll report back on that lot plus the mdi on another thread)

Simon

To further confuse....

With teh iPod connector, there were two options, one which connected the ipod, allowed control via the controls on the steering wheel and.. erm... played music. The other allowed you to see the track listing etc on the screen on the radio.

I got the cheap one. I like surprises..

Hi All,
As I understand it, the standard radio has an AUX in socket in the glove box and that will take any audio input - so plugging from the headphone socket of an iPod, for example, would allow you to play the iPod through the speakers in the car, but no control from the radio and no charging. The dealer fitted an MDI interface (in the glove box) which is a lead with a VW-specific connector, and that came with another lead to plug into that which terminates in a USB socket and that allowed me to play music from a memory stick and select the tracks from the radio. What they should have ordered in addition (and I should have paid for) is an adaptor lead to convert from the MDI interface socket to the iPod (which is the cable that Stu mentioned earlier). They are sending one to me for free (saves me the 2 hour trip to the dealer) so hopefully I can confirm in the next few days that it works :)
Thanks for all the help!
--Nick

Hazzy Dayz tell me that the ipod lead comes as standard and the USB one is an option, for the VW MDI kit variant they are fitting for me.

Ahh that's good news than. :thumb

The MDI is useful as it charges as well as carries the music.

shambly said:
Hazzy Dayz tell me that the ipod lead comes as standard and the USB one is an option, for the VW MDI kit variant they are fitting for me.

It depends on where they source the kit. If they are sourcing from Poland for instance then it's whatever you want. If you source a retrofit kit from VW then I think USB is standard and if you specify factory fit you should get a pack with both in.

I have just like a prat ordered a mdi cable and realised I don't have media interface
Let me know if anybody wants it. :headwall :headwall

Which one have you ordered, Kev - the iPod one or the USB one? (and how much was it?)

Have iPod one but USB one would mean I could upgrade the MDI firmware myself - as I imagine it'd be a ÂŁ50 job for VW to do it.

:headwall :headwall it's the iPod one Steve (shame) :rofl

D'oh - easily done!

I'm still in two minds about the MDI.
When it works, it's great.
But it's a bit flaky, and just isn't designed for current devices (I can't find a way to fast forward through the alphabet - so trying to find a song/artist near the end of the alphabet's impossible).

Good old aux in is sometimes a better option - and Bluetooth streaming's ok too (handy for controlling music in bed!).

Must get round to writing a proper review of all the music gadgets and their foibles!

Steve

If it's only for the firmware update then you could borrow my USB lead.

Stu said:
If it's only for the firmware update then you could borrow my USB lead.

That's really kind of you, Stu :)

Am keeping an eye on the firmware site - but there hasn't been an update since 2011 (so am assuming its on a new MDI).

Latest MDI Firmware I could see with a quick look was 0150.

I checked my VCDS autoscan and mine is -

Component: SG EXT.PLAYER H13 0240

I'll ask around for you, :thumb

How do you find out about a firmware update........

Sorry - should have included a link to the My GTI MDI page in my post. That's the best place I've seen which describes its foibles!

From the code, it looks like we've got the latest firmware.

0240 is the latest I've seen on both mine an a Golf R scan I looked at yesterday but it doesn't appear to be in the wild yet.