Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali & Awning Query

D

Davidandbev

VIP Member
Hi,
We will be getting our new Cali Ocean soon, which fingers crossed, will be built at the end of August this year. This is our second Cali, our first being a 2012 model, which we very much regret selling.
We still have our old awning, purchased from Nick at Comfortz Leisure, which are basically walls with windows that attach to the wind-out awning of the van. These are in excellent condition as they’ve only been used once. However, we are considering maybe getting a drive away awning. Can anyone recommend something suitable please. Also, would we be able to sell the Comfortzone awning walls via the Forum? Not sure if there’s a market for these any more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, David & Bev

We thought long and hard about an awning. We value space in the van and packing light. As such during trips so far we have just used the wind out. We looked extensivelly for one that would be compact, light to travel with, smallish and help during winter camping when things get a little colder. For us one of the super large ones that are around now was just too much for. We landed on the Vango Tolga which we got today and after a garden pitch it was exactly what we wanted. Full test next week In the wild.

We thought long and hard about an awning. We value space in the van and packing light. As such during trips so far we have just used the wind out. We looked extensivelly for one that would be compact, light to travel with, smallish and help during winter camping when things get a little colder. For us one of the super large ones that are around now was just too much for. We landed on the Vango Tolga which we got today and after a garden pitch it was exactly what we wanted. Full test next week In the wild.
Thanks for such a speedy response. The Vango Tolga looks promising. Can it be attached on the drivers side to the wind out awnings track?

Thanks for such a speedy response. The Vango Tolga looks promising. Can it be attached on the drivers side to the wind out awnings track?
Yes. It has a 6mm strip that attaches to the awning or the bead that is on the passenger side. We got ours at a great price from Wiggle.

@Davidandbev I would recommend keeping the Comfortz awning room and if funds afford it, getting a drive away as well.
I find the awning room is simple and quick for a 1 or 2 night stay. I only use my driveaway if I’m staying longer than that. I would struggle to want to sell either as I think they both have their uses. I think others on here have found the same.

EDIT - yes you can sell your Comfortz awning room on here.
AND -I have a Vango Kela. Very happy with it.

Last edited:
Suitable range to consider

Yes. It has a 6mm strip that attaches to the awning or the bead that is on the passenger side. We got ours at a great price from Wiggle.
Thanks … that’s really helpful.

@Davidandbev I would recommend keeping the Comfortz awning room and if funds afford it, getting a drive away as well.
I find the awning room is simple and quick for a 1 or 2 night stay. I only use my driveaway if I’m staying longer than that. I would struggle to want to sell either as I think they both have their uses. I think others on here have found the same.

EDIT - yes you can sell your Comfortz awning room on here.
AND -I have a Vango Kela. Very happy with it.
Thanks for this helpful advice. We will definitely keep our awning room for the shorter trips, as it makes sense, and add a drive away to our shopping list.

Hi,
We will be getting our new Cali Ocean soon, which fingers crossed, will be built at the end of August this year. This is our second Cali, our first being a 2012 model, which we very much regret selling.
We still have our old awning, purchased from Nick at Comfortz Leisure, which are basically walls with windows that attach to the wind-out awning of the van. These are in excellent condition as they’ve only been used once. However, we are considering maybe getting a drive away awning. Can anyone recommend something suitable please. Also, would we be able to sell the Comfortzone awning walls via the Forum? Not sure if there’s a market for these any more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, David & Bev
We have a Vango Kela TC (polycotton fabric). It’s in its second year, and 8 weeks of use. It’s good, and relatively compact. The things we regret is that it doesnt have a porch area, and the fly screen on the front opening is a bit of a fuss. That said, it’s good quality, and has stood up to rain, wind, cold and sun.

We're in two minds as well, we picked up our Cali in April and so far we've coped without a drive-away. If you're planning on keeping moving then I don't think you'll need a drive away - if you're going to spend a few nights in one place then it might be worth it.

If you do decide to go for it, then keep an eye on the for sale section on here - they come up pretty regularly.