Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nespresso Machine off Leisure Battery?

What’s the best, easiest, mess free way to heat milk up when off grid ?

I have a 12v Handpresso machine which takes Lavazza capsules, it makes a lot of noise and can only make 50ml of espresso at a time but works well off grid, and I prefer the coffee to my Nespresso machine at home.

The only version I could find was the 'ESE' pod one which gives a better choice of coffee here though: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

I have a 12v Handpresso machine which takes Lavazza capsules, it makes a lot of noise and can only make 50ml of espresso at a time but works well off grid, and I prefer the coffee to my Nespresso machine at home.

The only version I could find was the 'ESE' pod one which gives a better choice of coffee here though: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

You could always mix your own pods and have whatever coffee you want:

We love good coffee but are a bit lazy when it comes to making it so use Nespresso at home. Just wondered if anybody has experience of trying to use a Nespresso machine off the leisure battery? I know it's a no go for a normal kettle but wasn't sure whether you can get away with one of these smaller machines....

unfortunately not...

however we use a Nanopresso with a capsule adapter when off grid and keep a Krups Essenza mini in the Cali for when we do have mains...

These coffee machines are an environmental nightmare. For the best coffee in the world I would not go near one, rather have warm water than coffee from one of these.
Unlike your Diesel engine?

Stove top Moka for me. Pods create too much plastic, whether recycled or not.

These coffee machines are an environmental nightmare. For the best coffee in the world I would not go near one, rather have warm water than coffee from one of these.
Grind London do fully compostable pods, and deliver. They work well in Nespresso machines and the coffee (imo) tastes good.

Roar Gill NS pods for me. Ethical coffee in compostable pods.

We love good coffee but are a bit lazy when it comes to making it so use Nespresso at home. Just wondered if anybody has experience of trying to use a Nespresso machine off the leisure battery? I know it's a no go for a normal kettle but wasn't sure whether you can get away with one of these smaller machines....
I installed a 1500 watt inverter and 3rd battery connected to solar exactly for this purpose. It works well and I can make coffee and then recharge the batter during the day.

Nespresso and milk frother no problem. 2018 Ocean- added 1.5 kw inverter under cooker and it runs just fine with loads of cups a day with no battery issues, engine off, even when parked a couple of days with the fridge on I even run a 600w elec toaster or 800w 1 litre kettle - 6 mins to boil a litre. Only one thing at a time though. I don’t know why some people jump on the solar band waggon so quickly. Unless you are stationary for a week without running the engine.

I installed an inverter for exactly this purpose 4 years ago and it has served us well. As a precaution, I have the motor ticking over if making more than 6 cups on the go.

81bdVJ-fOcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81G7Mr39WcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A few folks have done it and report success with inverters (pure sine wave I suspect) but personally my view it will hammer your leisure batteries which will impact its lifespan , will need capable wiring fitted (the standard will likely overheat at this power level) and simpler solutions just make sense on a cost basis.

For coffee we grind at home and use an oomph or sometimes a leverpresso. Aero press are good too.

Can even buy a cheap stove top steamer if you want milky drinks.

That said if you use hookup the it should not be a problem and if you want your coffee fast then fair enough.

Last edited:
2 teaspoons of Mellow Birds mixed with warm water and loads
of milk will put you off coffee for life. :)

Move on to Kale and Avocado smoothies then.
I do love a good coffee though, i don't feel right without
my good morning coffee, so it must be bad for me.

2 teaspoons of Mellow Birds mixed with warm water and loads
of milk will put you off coffee for life. :)

Move on to Kale and Avocado smoothies then.
I do love a good coffee though, i don't feel right without
my good morning coffee, so it must be bad for me.
Haha I can’t face instant coffee anymore, not since i got myself a Sage Barista express at home.

I've installed two lithium batteries, with Victron Solar, Victron Inverter and Victron DC-DC charger. I now have full 240v with 1600 watts to run kettles, hairdriers and nesspresso coffea machine. All monitored via the bluetooth. No modification to the van. In essence, we should never need hook-up again.

Let me know if more info required.