Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nespresso Machine off Leisure Battery?

mogfor

mogfor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We love good coffee but are a bit lazy when it comes to making it so use Nespresso at home. Just wondered if anybody has experience of trying to use a Nespresso machine off the leisure battery? I know it's a no go for a normal kettle but wasn't sure whether you can get away with one of these smaller machines....

You can’t run one from the standard inverter, they are over 1KW

We love good coffee but are a bit lazy when it comes to making it so use Nespresso at home. Just wondered if anybody has experience of trying to use a Nespresso machine off the leisure battery? I know it's a no go for a normal kettle but wasn't sure whether you can get away with one of these smaller machines....
You would need a 1500 watt inverter as a minimum.
The Best Buy Nespresso machine is 1260 watts so would require 5 to 6 amps at 240 v Mains voltage.
The 1500 watt inverter to produce 240 v mains power from the Leisure Batteries would use about 150 amps at 12 v to supply sufficient power at 240 v to power the machine. Admittedly it would only require this current requirement for ? 10 minutes or so to make 1 cup of coffee so would use 30 amps or so . Your Leisure Batteries have about 75 amps available before they drop to 50% capacity ( which you shouldn’t go below if you don’t want to damage the batteries ).

So using a 1500 watt Inverter to power your Nespresso machine then you could make 2 or 3 cups of coffee before the Leisure Batteries are in danger of being flattened.

As the machine would be warmed up producing the first coffee in practice you might be able to make 5 or 6 cups in one session for the same power requirements.

That’s the long answer.

The short answer is No, unless you have at least 200 watts of solar panels charging the Leisure Batteries and are in full summer sunlight.

Some alternative methods Forum Members use.

If you like good coffee, for me you can't beat a Bialetti for cost, ease of use and flavour...

You would need a 1500 watt inverter as a minimum.
The Best Buy Nespresso machine is 1260 watts so would require 5 to 6 amps at 240 v Mains voltage.
The 1500 watt inverter to produce 240 v mains power from the Leisure Batteries would use about 150 amps at 12 v to supply sufficient power at 240 v to power the machine. Admittedly it would only require this current requirement for ? 10 minutes or so to make 1 cup of coffee so would use 30 amps or so . Your Leisure Batteries have about 75 amps available before they drop to 50% capacity ( which you shouldn’t go below if you don’t want to damage the batteries ).

So using a 1500 watt Inverter to power your Nespresso machine then you could make 2 or 3 cups of coffee before the Leisure Batteries are in danger of being flattened.

As the machine would be warmed up producing the first coffee in practice you might be able to make 5 or 6 cups in one session for the same power requirements.

That’s the long answer.

The short answer is No, unless you have at least 200 watts of solar panels charging the Leisure Batteries and are in full summer sunlight.

Some alternative methods Forum Members use.
looks like someone knows coffee, good to know thanks for info WelshGas

Just get a Nanopresso with the NS adapter. Hand-powered, 16 bars. Works like magic!

Wacaco-Nanopress-NS-Adapter-Black-2.jpg

Just get a Nanopresso with the NS adapter. Hand-powered, 16 bars. Works like magic!

Wacaco-Nanopress-NS-Adapter-Black-2.jpg
They do work very well but a bit of an effort in cleaning up.

Assuming you have an Ocean/Beach then you could use an Italian stove top on the burner. That’s what I do. Easy, quick and good quality.

Assuming you have an Ocean/Beach then you could use an Italian stove top on the burner. That’s what I do. Easy, quick and good quality.
Sorry I mean Ocean/Coast

These coffee machines are an environmental nightmare. For the best coffee in the world I would not go near one, rather have warm water than coffee from one of these.

These coffee machines are an environmental nightmare. For the best coffee in the world I would not go near one, rather have warm water than coffee from one of these.
What figures are you quoting here? In terms of the coffee, they are only beaten environmentally by freeze dried coffee. Considering that you only need a very small amount of coffee (Think processing, shipping etc), the Nespresso capsules are completely recyclable and you only boil exactly the amount of water you need for your cup, there's actually very little waste as long as you take good care of the machine and keep it a while.

I like TEA.:mute