Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NEC Motorhme and Caravan show

The line waiting for the free t-shirt at VW Busfest was equally long and tedious. Wasn't worth the 45 min wait. So much for the vaunted post-Covid slump in vanlife.

I’m straight in.
No traffic issues or anything. Although l, we got here at 09:20 straight from school drop off.
I’m heading straight for the Hymer stand…

Have a look for a folding dinghy.
It’s raining cats n dogs out there :thumb

Well that was a real eye opener.
Perfection, simply isn’t there. So many of the vans feel like they’ve been built in Keith’s shed down the bottom of the garden.

Only two vans that caught my eye.
Volkswagen California Ocean
Mercedes Hymer Free 600S

Nothing, but nothing ticked all the boxes and had the built quality I was looking for…
The Hymer and Westfalia vans were the only two vans that had acceptable build. The other was Barefoot caravans.

I was there Tuesday for the first time ever, a few interesting things the £600k Morelo motorhome you need an HGV licence to drive was out of this world, also really enjoyed the Hymer stand. Other than that scores of very samey Transporter conversions, standard box shaped white motorhomes & obscenely expensive food and drink!

I didn't see a single VW Cali and I did try and look for one.....

I didn't see a single VW Cali and I did try and look for one.....

Volkswagen weren’t there. But someone was using a blue Ocean to sell another product. We asked for a look over the van and they didn’t seem to mind.
Volkswagen California is still the best built campervan.
Big difference between a factory design and constructed van and the other offerings.

Well that was a real eye opener.
Perfection, simply isn’t there. So many of the vans feel like they’ve been built in Keith’s shed down the bottom of the garden.

Only two vans that caught my eye.
Volkswagen California Ocean
Mercedes Hymer Free 600S

Nothing, but nothing ticked all the boxes and had the built quality I was looking for…
The Hymer and Westfalia vans were the only two vans that had acceptable build. The other was Barefoot caravans.
I had a look around a Hymer Grand Canyon which would pobably have been a top contender if I was ever looking for a bigger van but I am struggling with the logic of it being a 4 berth camper with only one ISOFIX attachment on the rear bench seat. Considering ISOFIX is used until the age of 12 it seems a really odd design choice.

I also thought some of the Dreamer range was very interesting, never really looked at those before. They do a high top with a pulldown bed that is a bit Grand-esque (but based on a Ducato).

That’s our 4th show in a row and it’s becoming a bit of a tradition so I’m sure we’ll be back up there in Feb.

Well that’s the thing. Those bench seats don’t really accommodate two people. They barely accommodate two children.
It’s a deceiving trick converters have used. I’m not sure two children could sit comfortably for hours in that setup.

The best I saw, was a polish design, in the Vanworx crafter. The chairs slid sideways away from each other and the side of the van. Giving the shoulder room required to sit comfortably.

The buzz word at the show was
Compromise.
Must have heard it at least 700 times in the few hours we were there…

With the age my kids are at it doesn’t matter how comfy the seats are as long as I could get two ISOFIX car seats on the bench when travelling. Hymer was the only manufacturer I found where we couldn’t do that, just thought it a bit strange. When we’re parked up them sitting still for long enough to actually get uncomfortable on a bench seat is a bit of a dream!

I didn’t see the Vanworx Crafter, was it their Maxtraxx conversion? Sounds interesting with the seats.

And is compromise not the buzzword for motorhoming generally? :D

Also, pet hate…people who spend about fifteen minutes poking around each and every van on the stand. There’s no way you’re interested in buying the 5.4m AND 7m version so have a quick look at the one you don’t want and get out.

Also people who climb in to a van you’re already in and block your exit…what are you doing?

Volkswagen weren’t there. But someone was using a blue Ocean to sell another product. We asked for a look over the van and they didn’t seem to mind.
Volkswagen California is still the best built campervan.
Big difference between a factory design and constructed van and the other offerings.
I'm not sure the Cali is necessarily the best camper, even of its size. It is what it is. The main selling points I think are it's a known quantity, single warranty and stable residuals. The T5/T6 design hasn't really evolved and has been overtaken in many areas by the pro-converters that have continually evolved and improved the concept.

Well that’s the thing. Those bench seats don’t really accommodate two people. They barely accommodate two children.
It’s a deceiving trick converters have used. I’m not sure two children could sit comfortably for hours in that setup.
The rear bench in a Grand Cali is actually the front bench out of a transporter.
Its strange that in a transporter you can get two 15 stone blokes to fit, one with no legroom due to the wheel arch & one with a knee removed because of the gear change & both have to breathe in to get the door shut.

That for many is acceptable daily transport. Yet stick my two youngest under 5ft kids weighing about 5 stone each on it in the back of a GC & there isn't enough room.

That bench seat irrespective of the make of conversion really needs an armrest on it to keep you in place when cornering.
I do wonder why the crafter bench wasn't used in the back, its a couple of inches wider & far more comfortable, I would rather loose a bit off the corridor & have a better seat.

We went with a view of looking at vans up to 6m (possibly 6.3m) to change from our 2012 Cali that has given us years of great adventures (been doing it various forms for 30+ yrs). The lack of real quality in some vans stood out to us - the usual suspects were good but you pay a price! We are also considering just getting a new Cali so looked at competitors and to us we agree with @soulstyledevon nothing really comes close to what the Cali does overall - although some converters offer some lovely looking vans (many now more expensive then a new Cali).
And there’s an obsession with massive black alloys with chunky tyres :)

I'm not sure the Cali is necessarily the best camper, even of its size. It is what it is. The main selling points I think are it's a known quantity, single warranty and stable residuals. The T5/T6 design hasn't really evolved and has been overtaken in many areas by the pro-converters that have continually evolved and improved the concept.
I would disagree. There has been a steady evolution of materials and design. It's a tiny space that VW have managed to optimise as a camper. Compared to converter hobbies I've seen the materials and design are different level. And the lack of squeaks and rattles says a LOT. The MY23 is just let down by the poptop.

The rear bench in a Grand Cali is actually the front bench out of a transporter.
Its strange that in a transporter you can get two 15 stone blokes to fit, one with no legroom due to the wheel arch & one with a knee removed because of the gear change & both have to breathe in to get the door shut.

That for many is acceptable daily transport. Yet stick my two youngest under 5ft kids weighing about 5 stone each on it in the back of a GC & there isn't enough room.

That bench seat irrespective of the make of conversion really needs an armrest on it to keep you in place when cornering.
I do wonder why the crafter bench wasn't used in the back, its a couple of inches wider & far more comfortable, I would rather loose a bit off the corridor & have a better seat.

Funny you should that.
One converter from Northern Ireland, did just that. Company called Bespoke and to be fair, their attempt & build quality/price-was better than most. It was the most comfortable rear chair I tested, other than the Vanworx Polish offering. It also had the storage under the bench too.

Westfalia, Hymer and Ribb (I think the Ribb is awful) were all uncomfortable and not where I would want my derrière on a long journey.
Westfalia was better than Hymer, but only just. Again, it wouldn’t be comfortable for a couple of teenagers over 2/3hrs.

I would have to disagree. Every transporter style van had major compromises compared to the California.
Perhaps I prefer the factory finish, and fair to say there’s a lot out there to cater for various tastes.

Volkswagen smashed the design out of the park with the Cali. Everyone else is just trying to mimic that formula.

Wonder why most, if not all, the converters still use chipboard for cabinets etc? Surely it’s about time they looked at lighter, less bulky, materials as per the California.

I can’t remember the converter but there was a bigger van with a higher roof than a T6.1 that basically had the Cali treatment; bench seat on rails, kitchen along one side and a poptop. Did make me wonder how popular a similar van would be if VW made it.

Went to the show today. Surprised how many campervan companies there were.
Pity that no Californias were on display. Given that the conversions were all a similar price to the Cali, I’m sure that a dealer could have taken quite a few orders.
@Tomdbreeze have Beeeze ever considered displaying at the NEC show?

Went to the show today. Surprised how many campervan companies there were.
Pity that no Californias were on display. Given that the conversions were all a similar price to the Cali, I’m sure that a dealer could have taken quite a few orders.
@Tomdbreeze have Beeeze ever considered displaying at the NEC show?

Agree, A GC, Ocean and Beach would be a good display and people might be pleasantly surprised comparing prices.

Off up to the NEC tomorrow and no I'm not spending £220k on a Hymer.

Yes and there was a queue to look inside. Shows how a bit of modern design can pique people’s interest.
The other stand that had a lot of interest was Opus trailer tents. Not fundamentally different to others, but again a far more modern design. There’s are twice the price and their display was still very busy at the end of the day, when everywhere else was quiet. Not just tyre kickers either. We saw people signing.
It’s a pity that more leisure vehicle producers don’t sit up and take note.

Back