Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

N/S wiper error

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Anyone else noticed that you can't raise (properly) the N/S wiper? It hits the bonnet - a big DOH for cleaning the windscreen and wiper!

Strangely an X5 is just the same. Surely one can be made that fits?!

There is a service mode that raised the wipers to a point where you can lift them. Apparently. Don't know how to do it though.

Don't you just turn the ignition off with the wipers on and at the top :?: :?:

Californiaman said:
There is a service mode that raised the wipers to a point where you can lift them. Apparently. Don't know how to do it though.

Handy but I guess Kev's idea works. Just seems a bit strange. Do any (apart from an X5!) other vehicles have the same "flaw?" Nearly dented my bonnet top when I first pulled it up!

I think it is due to European legislation - something about not slicing up pedestrians as they bounce over your bonnet.

Californiaman said:
I think it is due to European legislation - something about not slicing up pedestrians as they bounce over your bonnet.

...but still slicing them if they hit the off side of the bonnet?!

You're probably right though. I will now be a bit weird and check out other newish vehicle N/S wiper placements... Well I will tomorrow when I'm out and about.

Service position......take key out and press down on wiper stalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

california180 said:
Service position......take key out and press down on wiper stalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cheers! A cleaner N/S screen and wiper beckons!

Yes this caught me out, when i was at my dealers recently i checked a couple of the vans in the show room to make sure mine wasn't faulty!
From a no key start ie when you want to wash the van with the keys in your pocket, it's key in, ignition on, ignition off, press down on wiper stalk.

Those with pre-facelift Californias don't have this problem.
It's one of the things I miss most from my old van.

Hubert

I think that's what confused me. My cali is pre facelift but i bought a facelift transporter for work last autumn. When i realised the wiper was fouling the bonnet i thought it must be faulty. Although it's a fairly straight forward thing to put them in the service position its still a faff and unnecessary in my opinion. If i'm ever about to get hit by a vehicle i don't think i'm going to worry about whether the wiper catches me :?

I spotted this annoying 'feature' this weekend while cleaning the van for the first time, unfortunately I noticed it after I attempted to lift the wiper, and it looks like I've scratched the paint on the edge of the bonnet.

I'm annoyed. :-(

Ah that is good to know that I wasn't the only one who thought this was a fault. Thanks for the service mode tip. I also scratched the edge very slightly when I first tried lifting. Annoying indeed.

Dave the touch up from the main dealer is only about ÂŁ6. It doesn't need to be a van centre
All vw dealers can get it :thumb

Good stuff... I'll go there then

Thanks!

:cool:

I used an on-line site that you stick your reg number into - touched up a stone chip. Very good match!

I got some of that on your recommendation Kernow for a little dent on the wheelarch of my work van - the colour was miles out and it looks worse now then it did before! :shocked

Luckily someone opened a car door against the side of it last month and i now have another nice dent in the middle panel - i say luckily as their going to sort it via their insurance and i can get the other bit fixed as well.

Freeley said:
I got some of that on your recommendation Kernow for a little dent on the wheelarch of my work van - the colour was miles out and it looks worse now then it did before! :shocked

Luckily someone opened a car door against the side of it last month and i now have another nice dent in the middle panel - i say luckily as their going to sort it via their insurance and i can get the other bit fixed as well.

Oops -sorry! It was a good match for Natural Grey!

Back