Skidding noisy windscreen wipers

Hawthorn37

Hawthorn37

Retired, and working hard at it
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
On the last few trips, we noticed our windscreen wiper blades are really juddering across the windscreen, to the extent that resorted to flick wipe to clear the screen to avoid the noise. Seems to happen in all rain conditions apart from ‘monsoon’ grade, and worse in cross winds. Before our last trip I gave the windscreen a good clean with Rain-x glass cleaner, but there’s been no difference in performance. Mainly the driver side blade juddering. Could it be an adjustment issue? We’ve done 13k miles and the blades look fine. Suggestions?

Juddering suggests the blades are "gripping" the screen more than they should, so they "grip", then jump, etc.. - try cleaning the blades and the screen to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I'd say probably new wipers. Age can be just as much as an issue as use as the rubber will become less supple, bearing in mind they are unlikely to have just been made even when fitted to a brand new vehicle.

Wipe down and clean the blade edges with WD40. You will get a lot of grime off the blades.
I’ll give that a try to start with. I clean them as part of the normal wash but not with WD40. The blades have been juddering with cross wind from new - although during most of our trips last year we were blessed with lovely weather. I’m wondering whether reducing the pressure on the screen could be an option ?

I’ll give that a try to start with. I clean them as part of the normal wash but not with WD40. The blades have been juddering with cross wind from new - although during most of our trips last year we were blessed with lovely weather. I’m wondering whether reducing the pressure on the screen could be an option ?
That won't be the problem; they need a minimum pressure to press the blade across the glass as it sweeps as the shape changes across the sweep of the blade. I'm not sure about using WD40 to clean them as I expect it would leave residue; I'd probably try some isopropyl alcohol or even Zippo type lighter fluid, i.e. a clean volatile spirit, on a bit of cloth and just wipe down the blade.

I'd honestly be thinking return on investment here though; unless you've got time to burn, you'll probably find it'll be more economical of time to just buy new blades . . .

My local garage (not vw) for my old car used vinegar then rinsed with water, or baby wipes. Seemed to work well to clean them unless blades needed replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a set of Bosch blades after mine started making horrible noises. Now as quite as can be even with a few spots of rain.

Don't use oil on the blades please. Thats poor advice. Even from new blades can be perished as new vehicles stand in fields for months on end. My motorhome mate failed his mot on the blades with just 3k on the clock. Just go buy 2 new uns

I once flipped the blade of my rear window wiper, which had always been noisy and jibbery. I first had it replaced with a new one by the dealer during a maintenance, with no result. In the end, i just tried to mount it the other way around and suddenly no noise anymore… don’t know if there is a “direction” on how to mount the wipers, but worth a try…

Do not use oil or petro based products on Rubber.

oil based products on a windscreen or the wiper blades = Never ever

have a read some mentioned here previously

when you clean your wipers make sure the little longitudinal groves are completely clean !

Thanks all. Looks like new blades then. One year / 13k miles doesn’t seem great life out of the manufacturers wiper blades though. I bought Bosch Aero Twin blades for a Golf that was suffering a similar issue a few years back. I see that a new version Aero Twin Plus is now being marketed, so maybe I’ll give those a go.

Thanks all. Looks like new blades then. One year / 13k miles doesn’t seem great life out of the manufacturers wiper blades though. I bought Bosch Aero Twin blades for a Golf that was suffering a similar issue a few years back. I see that a new version Aero Twin Plus is now being marketed, so maybe I’ll give those a go.
Aero Twin plus are the ones I bought. Think they were around £20 ish but quite probably like everything else they have doubled in price. I know the standard VW blades were twice the price of Bosch but not as good .

I believe Forum shop sells correct ones.

I change my wipers once or twice a year. IMO this is too often for the juddering problem to be mainly wiper based. So I have come to the conclusion that contaminants on the screen are the main cause.

Before you change the blades try cleaning the windscreen properly.

1. Wash it thoroughly.
2. Use a clay bar to clear away any stubborn contaminants.
Also
3. I have seen a Youtube video where the person finished off with very fine wire wool. Use only the finest "0000" grade.

I will try the whole 3 stage process on our 18 year old run around hack before going near the Cali.

I have tried steps 1 and 2 but not yet 3. Even steps one and two make a big difference.

I generally find that wiper blades on vehicles kept in the open need replacing after 1 year, can stretch to 2, regardless of the mileage.

I always clean the blades when washing the vehicle and ensure no oily/greasy residue on the windscreen. ie no water globules. Tip from installing window film is to clean glass was to use Baby Shampoo as no additives in it.

I've settled on Bosch blades also. AP24U
it can be cheaper to buy 2 blades rather than a twin pack. Prices vary considerable.

I change my wipers once or twice a year. IMO this is too often for the juddering problem to be mainly wiper based. So I have come to the conclusion that contaminants on the screen are the main cause.

Before you change the blades try cleaning the windscreen properly.

1. Wash it thoroughly.
2. Use a clay bar to clear away any stubborn contaminants.
Also
3. I have seen a Youtube video where the person finished off with very fine wire wool. Use only the finest "0000" grade.

I will try the whole 3 stage process on our 18 year old run around hack before going near the Cali.

I have tried steps 1 and 2 but not yet 3. Even steps one and two make a big difference.
Yes, I have used a clay bar, plus windscreen cleaner ( Rain-x). The clay did take dirt off, but no improvement in wiper performance.

It seems the General on-line consensus is that windscreen wipers should be replaced every 6-12 months.

As said, probably new blades.
But give these steps a try, you never know… :thumb

Btw.
Before fitting the new blades, give the screen a proper good wash :thumb

On the last few trips, we noticed our windscreen wiper blades are really juddering across the windscreen, to the extent that resorted to flick wipe to clear the screen to avoid the noise. Seems to happen in all rain conditions apart from ‘monsoon’ grade, and worse in cross winds. Before our last trip I gave the windscreen a good clean with Rain-x glass cleaner, but there’s been no difference in performance. Mainly the driver side blade juddering. Could it be an adjustment issue? We’ve done 13k miles and the blades look fine. Suggestions?
New wipers needed by the sound of it. Also make sure your screen is thoroughly cleaned and doesn’t has wax on it from a wash.

Back