Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Skidding noisy windscreen wipers

Hi @Hawthorn37
Something I learned many years ago;
If a wiper judders only as it moves in one direction, then the angle of attack of the blade to the screen may need adjusting. Do this by wrapping a rag around the wiper arm, halfway along, grip with pliers and twist to incline the blade to reduce the angle.
The driver’s side blade was juddering on mine, as you said, in all but monsoon weather. I adjusted as above and it now behaves almost all the time. I will twist wiper arm a fraction more next time I remember!
Regards,
Andy

On the last few trips, we noticed our windscreen wiper blades are really juddering across the windscreen, to the extent that resorted to flick wipe to clear the screen to avoid the noise. Seems to happen in all rain conditions apart from ‘monsoon’ grade, and worse in cross winds. Before our last trip I gave the windscreen a good clean with Rain-x glass cleaner, but there’s been no difference in performance. Mainly the driver side blade juddering. Could it be an adjustment issue? We’ve done 13k miles and the blades look fine. Suggestions?
Ours were exchanged under warranty as we had just under 10,000 km on the clock… you could try that route first

New wipers needed by the sound of it. Also make sure your screen is thoroughly cleaned and doesn’t has wax on it from a wash.
Hi @Hawthorn37
Something I learned many years ago;
If a wiper judders only as it moves in one direction, then the angle of attack of the blade to the screen may need adjusting. Do this by wrapping a rag around the wiper arm, halfway along, grip with pliers and twist to incline the blade to reduce the angle.
The driver’s side blade was juddering on mine, as you said, in all but monsoon weather. I adjusted as above and it now behaves almost all the time. I will twist wiper arm a fraction more next time I remember!
Regards,
Andy
Got to say I’m not inclined to make an adjustment by twisting metal.

A trick shown to me by a professional car detailer.

Use methylated spirit on a clean cloth. Pinch the rubber between thumb and forefinger and pull impregnated cloth along the length of the blade. Keep doing this with fresh bits of clean cloth and meths until all the cloth is virtually clean.

Do this every time you clean the Van and your wiper blades will last an awful lot longer.

Back