Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My heater issue - have I done it correctly?

J

jerrythegerman

VIP Member
Hello,

Just a question to see if I have done it right.

I had some info before I found this site this morning (typical!) and it was in german. I ended up taking out the fridge and placing a new earth cable to right hand side of the shunt (as you look down on it) to the body fixing for the seatbelt (if it was a minibus). I've had it on mains over night but it looks like it has not done the jb (though the screen does not flicker any longer!!) as my heater still isnt working.

Did I add the earth wrong. I also left the orignal one in place.

Yes, looking at that, its pretty much the same. I tested the good earth before putting it all together.

Looks like the actual heater then. Anyone know of a good place around Manchester area?

Well, just so it can be kept as a refernce in here.

Found a chap who is very helpfull and is a mobile repair man for these things. He has kindly said he will help me diagnose the problem and then he will come out and swap and test. Saves me money and him messing around. If it pans out well, then I'm happy to put his number on here. He's been brilliant so far.

To that end, yesterday afternoon I had both pans off, revealing the fuel pump on one side and the heater on the other.

Taking voltage measurements showed that power was getting to to the pump (albeit a low reading) and to the heater once I told the system to heat.

The pump was not clicking and once I traced the pipework and disconnected, not any flow at all. So its either the pump its self or the voltage level is too low at the pump, pointing to the control of the heater (as the heater pulses the pump 12V when fuel is demanded until the point it builds up enough pressure)

Without any fuel, the heater shuts down and a system reset is required if it does this a few times. This is done by removing the fuses under the seat for a good few mins then returning them.

This afternoons job is to check my voltage reading at the pump again (I was unhappy it was showing 10.8 v, maybe bad connection/earth) and if that is fine, applying 12 v direct to the pump to get it to fire. If nothing happens, its the pump.

I must say, I'm a engineer and you should only really play with these things if you are happy with electrics and fuel connections. If not, get someone who is.

Glad to hear you are getting to the bottom of your situation without shelling out a fortune to a dealer.
Pretty obvious diagnostics when you think about it, but good to have on here for the benefit of others.
Let us know how you get on.

Back