Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making changes after ordering

I

impossibledreamer

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I ordered my T6.1 at the end of February with an estimated pickup at the end of Q2, 2024. My understanding was that we could make changes up until the vehicle is in production. However, I've just asked my dealer about changing our color and he said it is not possible. When I asked why, he said it is already in partial production and it would cost 15% to cancel the order and make a new one. I can make interior changes, but not exterior.

I'm a little confused about this because I've come across several people that made changes much later than this. And I'm also a bit confused about this partial production state, as we're not even at 3 months since my order date and the completion estimate is more than a year away.

Has anyone else run into this? Or if you made changes, how close to your completion date were those changes?

Never come up against it before. If you have just paid the deposit it will cost you nothing to cancel the order, you just may lose the deposit, dealer dependant.

We were told you could change up to a point, likely status 10 - when then parts are all ordered. Never enquired about specifics.

While it does make some sense, the bodies are ordered and made much earlier than the van assembly point as they come from the 6.1 factory and have to have their roofs removed, it does feel a little like the dealer is making it up here so I’d be inclined to check a little deeper. The bodies are certainly not made that early. Your date looks a little odd as well - Calis are coming through a lot quicker than 12 months. Are you sure your not getting a dealer stock order that they are reticent to change?

If they still not playing ball, cancel and go order from Breeze or Eurovans with an added bonus of less waffle and a Cali 6 months earlier.

Never come up against it before. If you have just paid the deposit it will cost you nothing to cancel the order, you just may lose the deposit, dealer dependant.

We were told you could change up to a point, likely status 10 - when then parts are all ordered. Never enquired about specifics.

While it does make some sense, the bodies are ordered and made much earlier than the van assembly point as they come from the 6.1 factory and have to have their roofs removed, it does feel a little like the dealer is making it up here so I’d be inclined to check a little deeper. The bodies are certainly not made that early. Your date looks a little odd as well - Calis are coming through a lot quicker than 12 months. Are you sure your not getting a dealer stock order that they are reticent to change?

If they still not playing ball, cancel and go order from Breeze or Eurovans with an added bonus of less waffle and a Cali 6 months earlier.
OP is in Germany (I assume dealer is too) and I know from personal experience the ordering/delivery times and T&C's are quite different to those for buyers in the UK. 3-4 month delivery times are not a thing on the Continent for Oceans/Coasts.
If OP has an order number they could try contacting the Nutzfahrzeug customer centre in Hannover direct and get some information as to whether or not the dealer is correct. The Center confirmed my Coast had the 110PS rather than the 150PS engine I ordered.

We didn't have to put down a deposit. When I look in my profile on My Volkswagen, there isn't even a vehicle listed, so I'm pretty confused about what this "pre-production" is.

OP is in Germany (I assume dealer is too) and I know from personal experience the ordering/delivery times and T&C's are quite different to those for buyers in the UK. 3-4 month delivery times are not a thing on the Continent for Oceans/Coasts.
If OP has an order number they could try contacting the Nutzfahrzeug customer centre in Hannover direct and get some information as to whether or not the dealer is correct. The Center confirmed my Coast had the 110PS rather than the 150PS engine I ordered.
Yes, we are in Germany. Unfortunately my German isn't very good but I'll try getting a hold of customer service and see if they can help me understand what is going on.

I am perplexed as to why delivery times are different on the continent vs the UK? I was told I can make changes until status 20, I assume the paint is applied after the body is hacked about for the roof?

I am perplexed as to why delivery times are different on the continent vs the UK? I was told I can make changes until status 20, I assume the paint is applied after the body is hacked about for the roof?
It's definitely strange, especially because we are picking it up directly from the factory, but a year is considered normal here. I even see people on German forums waiting up to 20 months.

I just spoke with someone from the customer center and they said the vehicle should not be in pre-production if we were given a delivery date of Q2 2024. So they will look into it and call me back!

They don't hack the roof, the California is built without the normal Transporter roof but with special strengthener front, rear and sides and then a plastic cap to transfer from the Transporter line to the California factory.

The different production times might be to do with RHD v LHD. We might see RHD production closing sooner.

I guess in theory it's a win-win; if it's in production and you can't make changes, you'll get it sooner than your estimated delivery date, if it isn't in production you should be able to make the change!

I guess in theory it's a win-win; if it's in production and you can't make changes, you'll get it sooner than your estimated delivery date, if it isn't in production you should be able to make the change!
True! But I'm starting to wondering if the dealer was bluffing about the status because he doesn't want to deal with making changes. He had to configure my vehicle a second time during my order because the system wouldn't let him adjust something he'd initially configured so I think on his end it's just a hassle to re-do.

On the topic, I was told by my dealer they'd contact me once the Cali was in build, but I'm wondering how "irritating" it would be be for me to call before then to check the status?

On the topic, I was told by my dealer they'd contact me once the Cali was in build, but I'm wondering how "irritating" it would be be for me to call before then to check the status?
You’re the customer. If you want to phone ahead, go for it. It’s a big purchase.

You’re the customer. If you want to phone ahead, go for it. It’s a big purchase.
I asked; it's at status 10 with a provisional build week of 23, but apparently it's usually several months after the build week before it arrives at the dealers?!

We were told we could change the colour prior to it reaching a particular status with no delay in build or cost implication assuming same cost bracket - can’t remember which status. We duly did this. As far as we were concerned signed all the electronic signatures for a change of order and emailed to confirm. When vehicle arrived, it was in the original colour. They had no record of the electronic signatures. My advice, if you do change, get written confirmation that they have received the change of order instruction. Seeing vans of the colour we had hoped it would be still grieves me a little.

We were told we could change the colour prior to it reaching a particular status with no delay in build or cost implication assuming same cost bracket - can’t remember which status. We duly did this. As far as we were concerned signed all the electronic signatures for a change of order and emailed to confirm. When vehicle arrived, it was in the original colour. They had no record of the electronic signatures. My advice, if you do change, get written confirmation that they have received the change of order instruction. Seeing vans of the colour we had hoped it would be still grieves me a little.
Did you consider rejecting it? Then ordering again in the colour you really wanted? With the fast deliveries at the moment for UK orders I might have been tempted.

We got it a year ago and it was a Coast. They’d closed the order book by the time we picked it up. Still loving the adventures we have so need to keep perspective. Just a shame.

We got it a year ago and it was a Coast. They’d closed the order book by the time we picked it up. Still loving the adventures we have so need to keep perspective. Just a shame.
Thats a great attitude. My Coast, with the wrong engine installed, arrived 6 months after the books were closed for Coasts. The dealer in Holland said the Belgian importer, I assume D'Ieteren, had additional allocation slots and by using one of those I was able to order another Coast in the original spec. I think VW, acknowledging they F'ed up, allowed it to go through, otherwise I doubt I would have gotten the green light.
Took an additional 8 months but in the end I got what I wanted, added ACC and have the new bellows. All in all I call that a win.

Thats a great attitude. My Coast, with the wrong engine installed, arrived 6 months after the books were closed for Coasts. The dealer in Holland said the Belgian importer, I assume D'Ieteren, had additional allocation slots and by using one of those I was able to order another Coast in the original spec. I think VW, acknowledging they F'ed up, allowed it to go through, otherwise I doubt I would have gotten the green light.
Took an additional 8 months but in the end I got what I wanted, added ACC and have the new bellows. All in all I call that a win.
The wrong engine is a bigger deal than the wrong colour and pleased it was sorted out for you. I feel just owning a Cali is a win. I hope you have some fabulous adventures.

I ordered my T6.1 at the end of February with an estimated pickup at the end of Q2, 2024. My understanding was that we could make changes up until the vehicle is in production. However, I've just asked my dealer about changing our color and he said it is not possible. When I asked why, he said it is already in partial production and it would cost 15% to cancel the order and make a new one. I can make interior changes, but not exterior.

I'm a little confused about this because I've come across several people that made changes much later than this. And I'm also a bit confused about this partial production state, as we're not even at 3 months since my order date and the completion estimate is more than a year away.

Has anyone else run into this? Or if you made changes, how close to your completion date were those changes?
You can change the spec pre build BUT you will be charged the latest price for the whole vehicle
Had this. Issue with Audi as I wanted to change body colour….. no problem but would have to pay £3800 being the price difference now versus order date
However I love our new
RS3 in Kylami Green….. always find it in car park !!

I finally heard back from VW. My van, which was estimated to be finished end Q2, 2024, is now estimated for Nov 2023. And according to VW, we can still make changes.

I’m not sure why the dealer gave us totally false info. Not only did he confirm Q2, 2024 was still the delivery date, but he also insisted it was not possible to change anything.

Very strange. I can’t understand why he would lie or why he would insist on this incorrect information.

Back