Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Level ramps yes or no

I do about 50-50.

I sold my levelling ramps a few weeks ago, still in the original wrapping unused for three years.
I bought them! Used once so far! On the particular site I needed them for they allowed me to pitch in the best area view wise, up the hill.

To save me money Alan, what other items do you think I should avoid? I don't want to follow in your footsteps.
Like a few members that have previously quoted on here,it's easy to get excited and think must get this and that before the Cali arrives only to wonder where to put half of it when it does
For most owners a roof topper is an important part of there kit and I carry one but only used it once because I'm mainly a solo camper (not counting my dog) so l have the option of up or down beds,if the weather looks like it could be bad the roof stays down
The wind breaker doesn't come out with me or does the mattres toppers either
Depends on your priorities I guess!

Alan

Some people like to fuss and make sure everything is perfect. If you are one of these people then get some levelling ramps!

We are normal camping with the kids so there are much higher priorities than getting the bed level!

I got them and use them, perfect for wild camping. Our kids sleep with their heads to front up stairs and me and the missus are sleeping head to rear, therefore we like it to be level.

There is no right or wrong regarding Ramps.
If you have them you may rarely use them and if you don't have them then that's when you might need them.
If you have a large Motorhome then being level can be critical because of the shower, fridge etc: ability to function. With a Caravan they are rarely needed as there is an element of levelling ability already.
On a site next to an Italian beach we used the ramps for the first time. Motorhome or caravans couldn't get on the pitch. The California could but the only place to park had 2 large dips which were cancelled out by judicious use of the ramps. Fantastic pitch and envied by everyone who passed. Even the campsite owner was impressed.
So I carry ramps and we're going back to that site next year. Fingers crossed the same pitch.

I like a level van because I can get more in my glass :cheers

Seriously, we always carry a small set of ramps as it gives a bit more choice when picking a pitch. They fit in that gap under the rear seat where the optional drawer would go. The tyres are a bit wider but it doesn't matter.

If your ramps are too long to fit in this space you can cut an inch or two off the pointy end.

In actual fact, though, we hardly ever use them as I can usually manage to get the van fairly level by jiggling around the pitch a bit using bumps and hollows which always seem to be present. (Plus, I'm too lazy to get them out.)

Tip: if the slope is steep the ramps are more effective if you park the van side on to the slope with one ramp under a front wheel and the other under a rear. On the same side, of course :D

Tip: if the slope is steep the ramps are more effective if you park the van side on to the slope with one ramp under a front wheel and the other under a rear. On the same side, of course :D
Pythagoras ;)
Obvious now you've pointed it out, but hadn't considered that until now!

They are on our necessity list even with a family of four and all our gear. We carry them all the time, we don't always use them but on the occasions we need to it does make a difference.

We use Fiamma ones in a bag. If they are not used they get shoved under the van in a bag.

Back