Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Thanks for the recommendation for Aquatex! So Fabsil left mark over the bellows and is therefore not recommended (especially if one want to be able to seek warranty from VW on this)?
Fabsil Gold on fabric shows no signs. Nor does Aquatex. Fabsil seam sealant leaves “slug trails” - but feels like taped seams and does the job. Aquatex on seams and zips shows no signs of application. This is not any recommendation, each to their own. NB. It seems VW are saying that as long as any sealant doesn’t damage fabric, seams or zips, the warranty stands.

Same places all inside soaked. No better than the 04s. Going to spray them to fix the solution my self!
Hopefully you will take a deep breath and report back to dealer / VW Executive Office soonest?

Fabsil Gold on fabric shows no signs. Nor does Aquatex. Fabsil seam sealant leaves “slug trails” - but feels like taped seams and does the job. Aquatex on seams and zips shows no signs of application. This is not any recommendation, each to their own. NB. It seems VW are saying that as long as any sealant doesn’t damage fabric, seams or zips, the warranty stands.
Can’t believe VW still haven’t sorted this out!

Maybe it’s time they created their own ‘fab silution’!

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I will do upon delivery - do not want to mess around and it seems VW cannot find a solution since months now…

Same places all inside soaked. No better than the 04s. Going to spray them to fix the solution my self!
So sorry to hear this.

It does appear that VW and/or their supplier are clueless on this.
How difficult can it be for them to test the revised design thoroughly before releasing it for widespread use?

If I was in your shoes I would be pushing VW for compensation and telling them that you will be applying Aquatex as an interim fix with no compromise on your warranty until they can get their act together.

From my own experience, Aquatex has worked wonders on my 2024 04S bellows and has stopped all the leaks I was seeing previously. And this is with some testing in torrential downpours and strong winds.

If I was in your shoes I would be pushing VW for compensation and telling them that you will be applying Aquatex as an interim fix with no compromise on your warranty until they can get their act together.
If there seems to be one constant, it's that VW are staying totally watertight to their warranty T&Cs. I doubt they'll change their position now as they won't want to get their feet wet.

It's pretty unbelievable really, not so much it never rains but it pours but it rains constantly. Let's see what Adrian / VW have to say (these things take weeks seemingly to drip through the system though . . .)

well sadly I can now confirm our 2024 Cali with bellows tag dated 16/02/24 has just started to leak,

This has been the first chance I have had to rain test them :mad:

I am about to give VW a call to register my disappointment !!

Last edited:
Would it be fair to say that 01S and 02S lasted for 20 years (2003 -> 2022) and in the last 20 months we have had 3 versions so far?

VW just haven't activated the water repellent mode on the 05S yet. Give them a chance.

Anybody tried the Aquatex / Fabsil on a O3S?, honestly getting to the point where I would rather use that than engage with VW. Not really tested mine in full wet and used covers since new so all is nice and clean.

Anybody tried the Aquatex / Fabsil on a O3S?, honestly getting to the point where I would rather use that than engage with VW. Not really tested mine in full wet and used covers since new so all is nice and clean.
Yes to both on my 03S. Both seem to work fine.

Not wanting to distract from the leaky 05S news (that glimmer of hope didn't last long!) but a wet WFH day gave me the opportunity to expose our 04S another few hours of rain. This is only the second time they've been up in wet weather, neither time particularly windy and no wetting out of the exterior.

In the interest of balanced reporting, they held up ok again. There were a couple of small beads of water starting to come through on one vertical seam this time, but it never developed into a stream. When things dried up outside, on the next check the drops had disappeared inside without intervention.

I'm still planning for them to leak badly if really pushed with prolonged wetting of the outside, but hopeful that Aquatex will then come to the rescue.
22d3e1cdade5351d413255ce83dbaa0f.jpg

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Not wanting to distract from the leaky 05S news (that glimmer of hope didn't last long!) but a wet WFH day gave me the opportunity to expose our 04S another few hours of rain. This is only the second time they've been up in wet weather, neither time particularly windy and no wetting out of the exterior.

In the interest of balanced reporting, they held up ok again. There were a couple of small beads of water starting to come through on one vertical seam this time, but it never developed into a stream. When things dried up outside, on the next check the drops had disappeared inside without intervention.

I'm still planning for them to leak badly if really pushed with prolonged wetting of the outside, but hopeful that Aquatex will then come to the rescue.
22d3e1cdade5351d413255ce83dbaa0f.jpg

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
I'm keen to see if an 05S owner can see any visible difference with those vertical seams vs their appearance on the 04S and 03S as that's where we'd assume any improvements were made . . .

Also for balance, so far my 04S hasn't let a single drop in, despite some fairly pummelling showery weather, but it hasn't had a full on wet Lake District day yet but doubtless will at some point.

I'm keen to see if an 05S owner can see any visible difference with those vertical seams vs their appearance on the 04S and 03S as that's where we'd assume any improvements were made . . .

Also for balance, so far my 04S hasn't let a single drop in, despite some fairly pummelling showery weather, but it hasn't had a full on wet Lake District day yet but doubtless will at some point.
My 04S leaks along the horizontal strengthening rib on the front section when tested with a shower hose. No leaks anywhere else, so an improvement on my 03S (which leaked from main front window seams).

Back