Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

bought Mine second hand, link below.

Btw the van will be going into used stock and sold on.

I can confirm we have got droplets of water appearing on the vertical seams of our 04S bellows. It’s taken some time to get there and they did initially appear to be dry for quite a while. Light to moderate rain and nil wind. The rain just appears to have seeped through eventually, I think a fair bit slower than the horizontal seam (which has been no issue on these bellows) because gravity is not really helping it. It still soaked through the seam all the same though. They really need to just seal these vertical seams like they have the horizontal ones. Will get some photos together and contact dealer and VWEO. Despite this the van is going nowhere. We will fight for a fix but use our wrap in the meantime.

Had mine open on the drive for 2 days now in light rain. No further leaks as yet. Like you I’ll be keeping the van. I’ve sent a video to my dealer but they haven’t called me as yet. I’ll try them tomorrow just to make sure they have registered the issue.

I can confirm we have got droplets of water appearing on the vertical seams of our 04S bellows. It’s taken some time to get there and they did initially appear to be dry for quite a while. Light to moderate rain and nil wind. The rain just appears to have seeped through eventually, I think a fair bit slower than the horizontal seam (which has been no issue on these bellows) because gravity is not really helping it. It still soaked through the seam all the same though. They really need to just seal these vertical seams like they have the horizontal ones. Will get some photos together and contact dealer and VWEO. Despite this the van is going nowhere. We will fight for a fix but use our wrap in the meantime.
Thanks for posting othemonkey nightmare for you but sounds like a good plan of action

Thanks for posting othemonkey nightmare for you but sounds like a good plan of action
I feel quite relaxed about it. The 03S bellows were diabolical. These 04S much much better, but it’s still not really good enough. Pretty obvious why they leak, pretty obvious what the solution is and should be pretty easy to implement. But will they do it? Just have to push really hard. We can still use our van although we’ll be slightly inconvenienced, which isn’t as bad as before.

Not sure if this owner is here but he has decided to throw in the towel..... after 6 attempts. VW Leeds are another dealer to avoid like the plague based on this experience.

"Finally given up on my 2023 Cali Ocean after 6 attempts at fixing/replacing leaking bellows by VW. Appalling ownership experience from VW despite corporate customer service intervention which is toothless. Be warned owners VW is not what it used to be. Never again for me!"

I've been doing more testing on our Jan dated 04SA bellows over the past few days, but we have seen very little rain. And what rain we did have was falling pretty much vertically so very little fell on the front face of the bellows.

But even in these conditions I got a couple of drips seeping through the vertical seams in the same places as before.

Heavier rain is forecast this evening with some wind, so I will park the van facing the wind and check again.

I found a couple of plastic take away cartons are the perfect size to place on the roof underneath the leaking front seams. These catch any drips and avoid the risk of water getting in the light switches and under the panels.

VW Executive Office are aware and I am in dialogue with Adrian as well as the dealership.

Depending on the extent of the leaks from my ongoing tests, without prejudice, my current thinking is to use a topper for the next few months until I can see more history on the wider reliability of the 04SA bellows or the release of yet another updated version. I see no sense in getting the current bellows swapped for the same design at this point in time.

I think it is really important that anyone who is seeing leakage, no matter how slight, should report this to their dealership and insist that VW Exec Office are made aware.

I also suspect that there will be lots of new owners who are oblivious to the potential issue and will only discover it later in the season once they start using their vans. So the current ratio of reported failures to vans sold is probably not representative of the scale of the issue.

Someone mentioned earlier that Adrian closed a few cases due to people getting replacement bellows and stating they are no longer leaking.

I feel they haven't been tested in the right scenario yet and it's just a matter of time. It's probably more the case that they aren't leaking as quickly than the bellows they replaced.

I've been doing more testing on our Jan dated 04SA bellows over the past few days, but we have seen very little rain. And what rain we did have was falling pretty much vertically so very little fell on the front face of the bellows.

But even in these conditions I got a couple of drips seeping through the vertical seams in the same places as before.

Heavier rain is forecast this evening with some wind, so I will park the van facing the wind and check again.

I found a couple of plastic take away cartons are the perfect size to place on the roof underneath the leaking front seams. These catch any drips and avoid the risk of water getting in the light switches and under the panels.

VW Executive Office are aware and I am in dialogue with Adrian as well as the dealership.

Depending on the extent of the leaks from my ongoing tests, without prejudice, my current thinking is to use a topper for the next few months until I can see more history on the wider reliability of the 04SA bellows or the release of yet another updated version. I see no sense in getting the current bellows swapped for the same design at this point in time.

I think it is really important that anyone who is seeing leakage, no matter how slight, should report this to their dealership and insist that VW Exec Office are made aware.

I also suspect that there will be lots of new owners who are oblivious to the potential issue and will only discover it later in the season once they start using their vans. So the current ratio of reported failures to vans sold is probably not representative of the scale of the issue.
Is there a specific telephone number for Adrian Burns and/or the executive office?

Thanks.

Not sure if this owner is here but he has decided to throw in the towel..... after 6 attempts. VW Leeds are another dealer to avoid like the plague based on this experience.

"Finally given up on my 2023 Cali Ocean after 6 attempts at fixing/replacing leaking bellows by VW. Appalling ownership experience from VW despite corporate customer service intervention which is toothless. Be warned owners VW is not what it used to be. Never again for me!"
Sounds like VW Leeds have actually been trying to solve the problem. 6 attempts, does that mean 6 new sets of bellows.

Sounds like VW Leeds have actually been trying to solve the problem. 6 attempts, does that mean 6 new sets of bellows.
Sounds like some ineptidude was at play too. Followed by a works-according-to-spec fall back after a catalogue of failures

"Wrong batch (bellows) ordered so failed their own water test, then another wrong version (manual not auto roof) so didn’t fit, another glue gave way on day 2 so front corners adrift….All in all off the road for 3 months and told by the original supplying dealer to only go camping when no rain was due"

Is there a specific telephone number for Adrian Burns and/or the executive office?

Thanks.
No specific number. Just a generic 0800 783 4909 number and executive.office@vwcv.co.uk

Supplying dealer contacted Exec Office explaining my findings and requesting them to get in touch with me. I received a call from Adrian the next day.

Thanks.
I notified my dealership last month (Im in no hurry to get a semi fixed repair, so not sweating things), following the formal channel - ie. all comms via the entity I purchased the van from.

...and just now thought I'd also email Adrian too (just in case he doesn't have sight of the full extent of the problems).

This is where I sent it -
FAO Adrian Burns
executive.office@vwcv.co.uk

Thanks to all the users that are 'field testing' supposed fixes... I wait with bated breath ! :Nailbiting

I notified my dealership last month (Im in no hurry to get a semi fixed repair, so not sweating things), following the formal channel - ie. all comms via the entity I purchased the van from.

...and just now thought I'd also email Adrian too (just in case he doesn't have sight of the full extent of the problems).

This is where I sent it -
FAO Adrian Burns
executive.office@vwcv.co.uk

Thanks to all the users that are 'field testing' supposed fixes... I wait with bated breath ! :Nailbiting
Thanks. And yes, thanks to all those conscientious field testing California people.

Testing mine yet again and still no leaks.
At Burnham on sea on the beach and it is quite windy with large downpours every 15 minutes. Breezy in the van because of the roof vents but I'm snug as a big in a rug.

20240327_111845.jpg

20240327_111549.jpg

He has applied a waterproof coating and sealed the seals though no?
Assuming that the seams and fabric have been owner treated, whilst adopting this approach is understandable, what if in the future this treatment is found to have caused permanent damage to the bellows?

It may give a short term fix, but cause long term damage and an even greater leaking issue?

Hope this is not the case of course.

He has applied a waterproof coating and sealed the seals though no?
Mark
Why all the negative comments?
Not all poptops leak.
Your comments have caused lots of worry for many California owners.
Mine has not leaked but because of your comments I decided to apply a waterproof agent to all the seams.
As I type another storm is blowing and looks pretty big

20240327_124235.jpg

Assuming that the seams and fabric have been owner treated, whilst adopting this approach is understandable, what if in the future this treatment is found to have caused permanent damage to the bellows?

It may give a short term fix, but cause long term damage and an even greater leaking issue?

Hope this is not the case of course.
Pray tell how a water repellent product can cause greater leaking.
I have used a product recommended by Issabella one of the largest manufacturers of top quality awnings and tents. They recommend that you reproof yearly.
If my poptop starts to leak then I'm sure it will still be covered by VW warranty.

Mark
Why all the negative comments?
Not all poptops leak.
Your comments have caused lots of worry for many California owners.
Mine has not leaked but because of your comments I decided to apply a waterproof agent to all the seams.
As I type another storm is blowing and looks pretty big

View attachment 120960
My comments have caused worry for many? What?

I came to this forum because I was thinking of buying a California and heard about the leaking poptops. I then placed an order and received the van which had a leaking poptop.

My comments are fully backed up with photos and weather conditions it was in.

There were many others posting comments and photos of leaking poptops way before I started posting. Which ironically, caused worry to me for my upcoming delivery.

I'm just one person at the end of a long line of people that have had issues.

Back