Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I used to keep a sheet of polythene to cover the mattress, just in case. Also there is the possibility of the damp canvas damaging the head lining .
I’m thinking it might be wise to use a cover/wrap if you know rain is likely?

It sounds to me as though leaking bellows or not there is potential for damage once you bring down wet bellows? I never thought about that!

If you keep pulling at the seams then I'm afraid it will leak. My April 2023 with the grey outside, cream inside has so far been perfect.
Vehicle is nearly 12 months old and done 16,000 miles. I am the second owner so I checked with VW to see if the bellows had been replaced or if it had been registered as a possible problem. It has not.
This is great news that some don’t leak. Shame so many do though. Perhaps 04S version is generally quite reliable.

It sounds to me as though leaking bellows or not there is potential for damage once you bring down wet bellows? I never thought about that!
On our leaking 03S bellows there was no leakage when the roof was put down with them wet. I did that overnight once and the next day lifted the roof again in dry weather. Once the roof was up gravity made the bellows dump a load of water on the ledge.

Yes, I had a Comfortz cover for wet days … bit of a faff to put on but once I’d developed a technique , no problem.

This is a good argument for using a wrap or cover if persistent rain is likely; less risk of "collapse water" plus the bellows will generally be drier which aids the post-trip faff / drying out at the next site.

So if the latest 4S post 9/11 is still not a fix then what next? I still have 2.5 years left on warranty so some peace of mind that eventually they will get it sorted. The issue is water ingress through the lower window seams because the open mesh windows on outside are allowing water through them and this then sits on the Seam so is the weak point, maybe a complete new design is needed to eventually fix it. I’m thinking an Outer cover/flap that covers the windows only would do the job. Might even look into inventing my own solution.
Here's one I made earlier. 03S leak prevention via bin liners.

20230607_110454.jpg

We keep going back and forth wondering if we are being a bit premature rejecting the vehicle. Are we being to fussy? But we keep coming back to our use case which is in Ireland and Scotland during the winter. Do we (you) have confidence they'll hold up? I think the resounding conclusion is no?

Please tell me I'm not over reacting and in the same instance tell me if you think I am?

We keep going back and forth wondering if we are being a bit premature rejecting the vehicle. Are we being to fussy? But we keep coming back to our use case which is in Ireland and Scotland during the winter. Do we (you) have confidence they'll hold up? I think the resounding conclusion is no?

Please tell me I'm not over reacting and in the same instance tell me if you think I am?
6 months back. New van roof leaking, no fix available and many here experiencing patchy service from their dealers.

I decided to reject. This was the right decision.

I felt 100% supported by the supplying dealership (Breeze), who were simply excellent.

Others have not had this support from their dealers and this has influenced their stance to some degree i am sure. This is perfectly understandable. Assertive action can be met with hostility/be hard to sustain :)

If you do reject it is not an over reaction. There is a significant problem with your van and this is objectively a sound reason to reject. Simple.

Whether you reject due to this "significant problem" is a very personal decision that only you can make, it depends upon your individual situation, and how such an action will impact you and your families life.

It is apparent to me that you are a thoughtful person, so i am sure you will make the right call :)

6 months back. New van roof leaking, no fix available and many here experiencing patchy service from their dealers.

I felt 100% supported by the supplying dealership (Breeze), who were simply excellent.

Others have not had this support from their dealers and this has influenced their stance to some degree i am sure. This is perfectly understandable. Assertive action can be met with hostility/be hard to sustain :)

If you do reject it is not an over reaction. There is a significant problem with your van and this is objectively a sound reason to reject. Simple.

Whether you reject due to this "significant problem" is a very personal decision that only you can make, it depends upon your individual situation, and how such an action will impact you and your families life.

It is apparent to me that you are a thoughtful person, so i am sure you will make the right call :)
Great post this. I guess a partial factor is also how much faith you have in VW to put it right and that’s a personal thing.

I gather this is an adventure you’ve been planning for a long time though (which only adds to the disappointment of course). Assuming you’d look for an alternative van and not cancel those plans, what might you get instead, when might it be available and would you ultimately be happy with it when all is said and done? The order book will soon close on the T6.1 and right now you have one built exactly to your specification, I presume with your future servicing costs covered for the next 5 years as well. If there’s nothing else out there taking your fancy and they sort this issue out in say 4 months’ time then a used one might well cost you a chunk more than you’ve paid for your new one. I expect 4Motions will always be in high demand and attract a premium.

If you decide to keep hold of it because the overall package is still better than anything else you could buy then I’d say tell the dealer you expect a replacement bellows to be fitted when available, ask them if you can Fabsil your current ones for some extra protection and buy a wrap, then just get out there in it. It sounds corny but tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone.

If you really can’t do that (which is also totally understandable) then don’t let it drag on beyond 30 days under any circumstances.

Good luck man.

Last edited:
Great post this. I guess a partial factor is also how much faith you have in VW to put it right and that’s a personal thing.

I gather this is an adventure you’ve been planning for a long time (which only adds to the disappointment of course). Assuming you’d look for an alternative van and not cancel those plans, what might you get instead, when might it be available and would you ultimately be happy with it when all is said and done? The order book will soon close on the T6.1 and right now you have one built exactly to your specification, I presume with your future servicing costs covered for the next 5 years as well. If there’s nothing else out there taking your fancy and they sort this issue out in say 4 months’ time then a used one might well cost you a chunk more than you’ve paid for your new one. I expect 4Motions will always be in high demand and attract a premium.

If you decide to keep hold of it because the overall package is still better than anything else you could buy then I’d say tell the dealer you expect a replacement bellows to be fitted when available, ask them if you can Fabsil your current ones for some extra protection and buy a wrap, then just get out there in it. It sounds corny but tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone.

If you really can’t do that (which is also totally understandable) then don’t let it drag on beyond 30 days under any circumstances.

Good luck man.
Sound, thoughtful, and balanced post,

Life is best when you approach things that come up with all the care and wisdom you have available...and then get on with it :)

Maybe worth ppl considering rejecting and replacing with a used 2018 - 2022 cali without the roof issues.

Helpful response, thanks.

We've been thinking this evening and have decided it it the right decision. As mentioned, when we placed the order we highlighted our worry, we were told by VW our van wouldn't be affected and it was (maybe to a lesser degree).

I am still undecided as to how quickly a fix will come out and in all honesty I can't be bothered with the back and forth between home and the vw service. It's far enough away and it's not that easy especially as it has to be done during the week.

Our plans have changed but that's not a problem. Change is good and plans sometimes don't work out how you'd like them to.

Who knows, we'll maybe be back. I will be checking out the fully electric California when it eventually comes out.

Helpful response, thanks.

We've been thinking this evening and have decided it it the right decision. As mentioned, when we placed the order we highlighted our worry, we were told by VW our van wouldn't be affected and it was (maybe to a lesser degree).

I am still undecided as to how quickly a fix will come out and in all honesty I can't be bothered with the back and forth between home and the vw service. It's far enough away and it's not that easy especially as it has to be done during the week.

Our plans have changed but that's not a problem. Change is good and plans sometimes don't work out how you'd like them to.

Who knows, we'll maybe be back. I will be checking out the fully electric California when it eventually comes out.
I think you've 100% made the right decision, I do admire other optimism

I gather this is an adventure you’ve been planning for a long time though (which only adds to the disappointment of course). Assuming you’d look for an alternative van and not cancel those plans, what might you get instead, when might it be available and would you ultimately be happy with it when all is said and done? The order book will soon close on the T6.1 and right now you have one built exactly to your specification, I presume with your future servicing costs covered for the next 5 years as well. If there’s nothing else out there taking your fancy and they sort this issue out in say 4 months’ time then a used one might well cost you a chunk more than you’ve paid for your new one. I expect 4Motions will always be in high demand and attract a premium.

Good luck man.
Thanks.

We've been planning the van life adventure for several months and it's been on our todo for several years. However, adventure can come in all different ways. We don't need a van. We will just adapt and find it another way for now.

I think we just grudge the price of hotels, airbnbs etc at the moment and campsites work out much cheaper.

As I've said, it's a gorgeous van, but that's not enough to outweigh the major con.

Winter use your probably best with a wrap anyway, get that enjoy the van, sorted. Pursue with VW once a better fix is (hopefully) available.

Back