Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Key remote control

VIP Member
What does the centre button of the standard remote controlled key do?
Mine does absolutely nothing & I wonder whether it should have been coded to open the tailgate based on the symbol?
Or does it only operate with a specific VW option fitted?

Thanks.

Hi
The middle button on ours operates the electric opening side door, we have a forth button on the side of the fob for the tailgate.

Have a look in your manual, I believe it shows the various different keys and what they should do

I did already.
Suggests that it opens an electrically operable tailgate as per the symbol but mine just flashes the indicators in a really useless manner.
Suspect it was not coded in?

The ones on the "Face" of the key are: Unlock - Electric Side Door - Lock.

Then on the side there is a tailgate key.

On ours we have an Electric Side Door, that works - I assume if you have a manual door it does nothing.

On ours the side tailgate key does nothing - as we have manual tailgate - in fact can you even get an electric tail gate on the cali??

Our tailgate has electric close for the last few MM, but I don't think the button would help much with that.

T

Don't know what a standard remote is but this is ours, no side buttons but self explanitary.

DSC_0002 (Copy).JPG

pingpal6 said:
Don't know what a standard remote is but this is ours, no side buttons but self explanitary.

Yep fine but does it open the boot?
(like mine does not)

teeboy said:
The ones on the "Face" of the key are: Unlock - Electric Side Door - Lock.

Then on the side there is a tailgate key.

On ours we have an Electric Side Door, that works - I assume if you have a manual door it does nothing.

On ours the side tailgate key does nothing - as we have manual tailgate - in fact can you even get an electric tail gate on the cali??

Our tailgate has electric close for the last few MM, but I don't think the button would help much with that.

T

Well that sounds like same issue as mine even though only 3 button.
Not sure if there is an electric tailgate but many cars have unlock boot/tailgate only option so that is rather what I would have expected.
Oh well.

Actually I have just been outside (in the rain) and our key actually does do what you expect - if I press the side key - it unlocks the boot only.

Then you press the lock key to lock it again.

So the good news is that I have another feature that I didn't know about (I find this happens a lot with the cali)

The bad news is you might have a problem with your key

Sorry

T

teeboy said:
Actually I have just been outside (in the rain) and our key actually does do what you expect - if I press the side key - it unlocks the boot only.

Then you press the lock key to lock it again.

So the good news is that I have another feature that I didn't know about (I find this happens a lot with the cali)

The bad news is you might have a problem with your key

Sorry

T

Ha!
Good - glad you made that discovery!
Mine just needs coding in - cant see why they wouldn't do that as a warranty job as it was obviously neglected at PDI.

It unlocks the tailgate one time. Open it and when you close it it locks again, no need to press the remote. It might be useful one day.

Andy80F said:
It unlocks the tailgate one time. Open it and when you close it it locks again, no need to press the remote. It might be useful one day.

Agree - that's what mine does.
Unlocks the boot (but leaves all the doors locked) and then re-locks it after it's opened and closed.

As others above have already stated, the middle button unlocks the tailgate. The only indication you will see are the indicators flashing, there is absolutely no noise to indicate that the tailgate has unlocked, press the button then try the handle, it will open.

Beware that the tailgate will lock when you close it so don't put your keys down in the boot :headbang

My Golf also uses this system although you can hear the boot unlocking unlike the Cali which is completely silent.

Give it a try before looking to get your key programmed, you should not need to, all of this should have been tested in the dream factory. :thumb

Bladerunner169 said:
As others above have already stated, the middle button unlocks the tailgate. The only indication you will see are the indicators flashing, there is absolutely no noise to indicate that the tailgate has unlocked, press the button then try the handle, it will open.

Beware that the tailgate will lock when you close it so don't put your keys down in the boot :headbang

My Golf also uses this system although you can hear the boot unlocking unlike the Cali which is completely silent.

Give it a try before looking to get your key programmed, you should not need to, all of this should have been tested in the dream factory. :thumb

So it does!
The complete silence convinced me nothing was happening but it does what you suggest as it is supposed to do! Pretty handy too.
Thanks very much for making that small but significant point about silent operation.
Cheers.

Back