Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood DMX9720XDS

RSMarco

RSMarco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
I thought I would do a little post about fitting my new head unit which has replaced my Discovery Media Pro unit..

I decided to change the head unit as I wanted a larger screen and wireless Apple CarPlay. After looking at different options I decided on the Kenwood DMX9720XDS for the following reason:

10.1" HD Display with Capacitive Touch Screen
Floating Panel Mechanism
Wireless & Wired Apple CarPlay
Up to 4 camera inputs

All of the items were supplied by the fantastic guys at Absolut5 and I fitted it myself.
They supplied the dash adapters and looms to make it plug and play and retain steering controls and the dash USB socket.
Im also going to install the Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Cam when it arrives as this unit links to the multimedia system so that recorded videos can be displayed on the large screen, and operated from the touch panel of the system.

Initial opinion is I’m really impressed with this uni. The wireless CarPlay is fantastic and the screen quality is amazing. Although the unit doesn’t come with built in navigation I use Tom Tom mobile anyway as all the data is live and up to date.

Here are a few images of the unit fitted.

D4086071-6C0A-4E2D-8825-3662137935F1.jpeg
E1CF4DAF-738D-42F5-B06A-D7E57BE083F6.jpeg5656F2E3-137F-43A0-BDBC-DDBE26C8AE62.jpegBD930456-2A3C-42D0-9CFE-2AE1ED2739D5.jpeg0876BC8D-469D-4BCD-928A-73A2141DA795.jpeg0E3A3762-2F9D-4DBA-B59B-41AF834CDE72.jpeg

Looks great - I had earmarked one of those for the incoming 6.1 (left the standard radio in the spec). How tricky was the fitting? Do you lose any of the inbuilt VW stuff?

Thanks. The guy’s provide everything you need to fit the unit. There’s only one USB input so you have to choose which USB you want to retain. I chose the one next to the gear shift. You have to pop out the socket and swap the circuit board for the one provided. Quite straight forward tbh and you save the original if you want to revert back. You also have to run the GPS and microphone wire to wherever you want it.
As there’s no navigation built into the unit you won’t get navigation prompts on the display between the Speedo etc.

HTH

That sounds doable then. I use Waze anyway so not worried about losing the standard nav function.

Is there not a VW app on the standard head unit that stores speed/mpg stats? I guess you’d lose that? I’m not familiar with the standard VW unit, not sure how it works.

I had one of these fitted to my 2006 SE. Absolutely fantastic. Because of the age of the van it doesn't talk to the vehicle systems except for the headlights -- it will go to night mode when they are switched on. But who cares? Having fixed wired/wireless Carplay/Android Auto transforms the experience.

Can thoroughly recommend for those with older vans.

I’ve a 2012 SE and looking to upgrade my audio unit too. I don’t have the skills of the OP to fit it myself so will ask a professional to do it.

I see some of these posts are from a while back. Has anyone got anything negative to report after fitting the unit or maybe any wisdom about having it fitted?

I am planning to reach for my credit card and buy one next week!

With advance thanks

I have DIY fitted a Kenwood DMX8019 to a 2012 , more traditional as sits flat in the dash.

Just make sure the installer uses the VW Kenwood interface lead (not a generic third party lead - as some features will not work, despite what the salesman might tell you!) as you will then get full functinality of any steering wheel controls, parking sensor display, climate control, heated seats shown on the Kenwood unit display, you can also view dash cam / parking camera if fitted.

Can recommend Absolut 5 if you need any assistance. They are very helpful.

Still going strong and still loving it! Wouldn't have a van without it now.
I’ve a 2012 SE and looking to upgrade my audio unit too. I don’t have the skills of the OP to fit it myself so will ask a professional to do it.

I see some of these posts are from a while back. Has anyone got anything negative to report after fitting the unit or maybe any wisdom about having it fitted?

I am planning to reach for my credit card and buy one next week!

With advance thanks

I’ve fitted the Kenwood DNR992RVS with built in Garmin campervan software and Appleplay after my RNS 510 gave up the ghost . Fantastic . Even the sound is much improved . 67A2232A-CF73-4227-A644-47DE305ED556.jpeg

Looks great - I had earmarked one of those for the incoming 6.1 (left the standard radio in the spec). How tricky was the fitting? Do you lose any of the inbuilt VW stuff?

The OP has a T6 not a T6.1, not sure if there are replacements for the T6.1 yet.

Best person to speak to is Jason at Absolut 5 (same person the OP used)

The OP has a T6 not a T6.1, not sure if there are replacements for the T6.1 yet.

Best person to speak to is Jason at Absolut 5 (same person the OP used)
You can fit most units, just need a trim kit to fill the gaps..

I have DIY fitted a Kenwood DMX8019 to a 2012 , more traditional as sits flat in the dash.

Just make sure the installer uses the VW Kenwood interface lead (not a generic third party lead - as some features will not work, despite what the salesman might tell you!) as you will then get full functinality of any steering wheel controls, parking sensor display, climate control, heated seats shown on the Kenwood unit display, you can also view dash cam / parking camera if fitted.

Can recommend Absolut 5 if you need any assistance. They are very helpful.
Thats much appreciated. Thank you!

I can't comment on the facia kit for the T6.1 but give the guy's a call from Absolut 5 as they will have probably supplied / fitted already.
Other than that, they are a great unit. I may be tempted to swap for the DNR992RVS which is the same unit but with built in NAV, but tbh, I use TomTom from the phone and it works perfectly.

I can't comment on the facia kit for the T6.1 but give the guy's a call from Absolut 5 as they will have probably supplied / fitted already.
Other than that, they are a great unit. I may be tempted to swap for the DNR992RVS which is the same unit but with built in NAV, but tbh, I use TomTom from the phone and it works perfectly.

If you do I’d be interested in your unit

So if I may ask why did you choose the floating version vs the built-in version DMX8021DABS?
Is it because the screen is better reading in sunlight given the angle? The slightly bigger screen? The more modern tesla-like look? The rotary volume button?

I was looking at the DMX8021DABS myself (which builds into the dashboard), main reason to switch is wireless android auto/apple car.
The floating unit has benefits but I also see some disadvantages.
Wonder what is behind your installation, did they fill the gap or leave the original system?

The HD screen on the 9720 and 992 are the best available, HD and do not get affected by even direct sun light, and easy to use being bigger and rotary control, but they are a lot more money

the 8021 is our best seller but it will get affected by sun , like 99% or in dash units

So if I may ask why did you choose the floating version vs the built-in version DMX8021DABS?
Is it because the screen is better reading in sunlight given the angle? The slightly bigger screen? The more modern tesla-like look? The rotary volume button?

I was looking at the DMX8021DABS myself (which builds into the dashboard), main reason to switch is wireless android auto/apple car.
The floating unit has benefits but I also see some disadvantages.
Wonder what is behind your installation, did they fill the gap or leave the original system?
Hi,
I decided on this unit for the screen size and flexibility of the floating screen. I do actually prefer the OEM look of the original but went with this version and love it.
Behind the screen is all contained and well finished. The facia fit's very well too.

Thank you. So not having the problem of direct sunlight is a big plus - I agree. My current headunit suffers from that.
I also like the rotary volume button as I dont have the steering wheel controls.
But the 9720 seems fairly old (3 years) whereas the 8021 seems fairly new.
I don't want to find out in a year or two that it no longer works with Android Auto on newest android version due to stopped firmware upgrades.
Is a new 10 inch version coming out soon? Alternatives (e.g. not Kenwood) ?

Just found out about this unit DMZ958XR, which has a geat 1280x800 display and latest features. Currently I only find it on USA website, but let's hope it comes to europe

Just found out about this unit DMZ958XR, which has a geat 1280x800 display and latest features. Currently I only find it on USA website, but let's hope it comes to europe
I'll stand corrected but the European version of this is the Kenwood DNR992RVS

This one is 6.8inch and HD, the DNR992RVS is out-of-dash and 10inch
Seems like at least a screen resolution and anit-glare upgrade to the DMX8021DABS
But it could be there are separate EU and US numbers
The DMX8021 counterpart could be DMX908S
They compare the new DMX958XR to the DMX908S here
Which leaves me hopeful that a new in-dash model with HD screen will arrive here as well

Thank you. So not having the problem of direct sunlight is a big plus - I agree. My current headunit suffers from that.
I also like the rotary volume button as I dont have the steering wheel controls.
But the 9720 seems fairly old (3 years) whereas the 8021 seems fairly new.
I don't want to find out in a year or two that it no longer works with Android Auto on newest android version due to stopped firmware upgrades.
Is a new 10 inch version coming out soon? Alternatives (e.g. not Kenwood) ?
The dnr992rvs is a superb new unit from Kenwood, with Garmin nav

The Uk like all countries get different units with different spec , same as alpine , pioneer etc

it’s not normally around March-June when new models come out but this has slowed down over the past few years , so you never know when new models come out , so I wouldn’t wait

What alpine unit is that?

Back