Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood DNX516DABS

Would be keen to find out more info on it.

By all accounts the previous 2 Kenwood models were awful.

I spoke to 2 installers today, 1 that said he wouldn't touch Kenwood anymore BUT hadn't actually seen this model. The other said the new Kenwoods were really good, also stating that previous ones had been awful.

Not sure that helps, I'd like to see one in the flesh and see how the screen is etc. before shelling out for one.

About £999 if anyone was wondering.

Someone has one in their Cali....

http://poollretrofits.com/kenwood-dnx516dabs-vw-t5-gb/

Looks like the turn by turn navigation gets displayed on the DIS.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

Looks like a Cali to me...

vw-t5-kenoww0dns516dabs.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going to have one installed on Monday.
I'll post some photos and opinions once it's in.

Ace! Look forward to the feedback :)

If you don't have Sat Nav already I'm guessing the Cali will need coding to get the turn by turn display working.

It's being fitted by my local VWCV, so hopefully they know how to do that.

Saw one of these in the flesh over the weekend, looked good, screen was very responsive, though the user interface was a bit flashy for my liking.

Hearing good things about them.

Looks nice, I must admit I like flashy, would like something less boring than my RNS315, it does it all but it does it in a dull way ;)

I don't know yet, it wasn't finished until Tuesday, and I've been away with work since then.
I'll get to play with it tomorrow evening.

Keen to hear your feedback : I'm wondering about an upgrade too.

Looking forward to hearing more @reserves :D

I'm looking forward to seeing it in there, I've had the unit for 5 days already, but not enough time to fit as busy times here.

From my research and playing with the Kenwood DNX8160DABS which has the same interface (I'm not a massive fan of the interface) it a really fast unit with a great feature set.

Wired the mic up yesterday, so just need to find a couple of hours to get it in.

It's going in tomorrow for sure, will report back :)

Fitted and tested on way back to Brighton from the midlands.

The built in Garmin navigation does display on the DIS, not quite as well as the RNS510 though. Air Con, heated seats and parking sensors display on screen, though not flawlessly, the unit needs you to 'Agree' to terms every time it switches on from cold so you can't see the parking sensor display until you've pressed it.

The unit is as expected, it has all the bells and whistles but not quite the grace of the RNS510 and is much harder to use, I'm fairly techy and some of the Garmin functions I had to read the manual for, just not thought out that well. The whole user interface is flashy and quite American.

Will post a full review soon but initial thoughts are, if you want a factory fit then its easily the most advanced option available, it has CarPlay, Android, Sat Nav, Bluetooth Calling, USB / HDMI input. DAB+, Spotify built in (unlike CarPlay this works wirelessly) Camera inputs, Dual Zone audio and much more.

If you want a straight forward option and are more used to the simplicity of the VW units then I'd recommend trying it out first somewhere.

More soon.

Back