Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered a Beach

Mojave beige
Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control and auxiliary heater
(you can only spec one type of heater here so I didn’t look into it too much)
privacy glass
awning
larger fuel tank
extra keys
tow bar prep
automatic
2 seat bench with extra seat (seat comes with once you order a 2 seat bench)
aperture in canvas.
park assist (probably not worth it but anyway)
front and rear sensors

I have another few weeks for spec changes but I’m happy to have gotten in line at least!

March delivery is suggested.

Mojave beige
Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control and auxiliary heater
(you can only spec one type of heater here so I didn’t look into it too much)
privacy glass
awning
larger fuel tank
extra keys
tow bar prep
automatic
2 seat bench with extra seat (seat comes with once you order a 2 seat bench)
aperture in canvas.
park assist (probably not worth it but anyway)
front and rear sensors

I have another few weeks for spec changes but I’m happy to have gotten in line at least!

March delivery is suggested.

Nice spec. Just two things to consider.

Adaptive cruise control works very well with DSG.

If you will be carrying rear passengers (and as you have spec’ed an additional rear seat I suspect you will) consider climatronic air con. It gives you a second evaporator for the rear area.

Thanks very much for this, much appreciated.

We will be travelling with one child in the back (I could have done without the extra seat but it comes as standard with a 2 seat bench option).

The climatronic air con is exactly what I'm flip flopping on ! I've read the debates on this forum but I don't think I fully clear on what the standard air con provides and what the Climatronic adds.

In summary is it the case that without it you get vents in the front cab area only (none in the back) for both heating and cooling whilst in motion (which by some accounts take too long to heat/cool the whole van while in motion).

With the Climatronic air con do you get extra vents for the back and second "unit"(/evaporator?) to enable the heating and cooling whilst in motion. I would imagine that the back could get quite cold given the volume involved.

I see there is some mention of residual heat after the engine has been turned off.

Thanks

Thanks very much for this, much appreciated.

We will be travelling with one child in the back (I could have done without the extra seat but it comes as standard with a 2 seat bench option).

The climatronic air con is exactly what I'm flip flopping on ! I've read the debates on this forum but I don't think I fully clear on what the standard air con provides and what the Climatronic adds.

In summary is it the case that without it you get vents in the front cab area only (none in the back) for both heating and cooling whilst in motion (which by some accounts take too long to heat/cool the whole van while in motion).

With the Climatronic air con do you get extra vents for the back and second "unit"(/evaporator?) to enable the heating and cooling whilst in motion. I would imagine that the back could get quite cold given the volume involved.

I see there is some mention of residual heat after the engine has been turned off.

Thanks

Climatronic is great. You get additional of vents in the back just below L+R head lining which if required can be set to a different temp to the front (you can also overide it using the 'sync' buttonif your kids try to freeze one another out).. Besides the comfort aspect it allows you to clear any condensation very quickly from the rear of the van as gives good airflow.

Residual heat when engine is not running can be used by pressing the 'rest' button on the dash, it diverts the warm air air from the engine to the rear vents, so handy if you are outside in the cold + rain sorting your camping gear out, whilst rest of the family are sat in the warm waving at you out of the window saying "have you finished yet Daddy!"; You can of course also use the parking heater for this.

Also, Great in the summer or whilst abroad as will cool the van very quickly in the rear.

We have the 3 seat bench, as the higher seat/bed works better for our storage, seats are more shaped for passengers (but do require a shaped mattress as not 100% flat as a bed) & the Multiflex board gives alot more flexibility for our needs.

I think that the rub of it is that the normal air con is designed for a panel van and the climatronic is designed for a passenger van. It is a lot extra to pay, but you do get a second evaporator for the rear and three zone controls.
1. Front passenger
2. Driver
3. Rear passengers

I cannot comment in detail about the adequacy or otherwise of the standard air con as I’ve never experienced it, but I can tell you that the climatronic is good. My only problem with it is that there is no off switch for the rear controls - my boys love to wind each other up either by an icy draught in winter, or scorching heat in summer.

The “rest” button gives you about 30 mins of free heat after driving but without the engine running.

As you have the parking heater, don’t consider the climatronic for a heating boost (you can use the parking heater when driving) - only get it for better cooling.

Definitely second @Amarillo on the ACC - makes covering distances on motorways an absolute dream

I wouldn’t order without rear view camera. Great for parking. Even better in a carpark with people moving about, or reversing at an angle (like I do to get onto my drive) and you can the sensors are beeping... and the final and most important for me, is being able to reverse right under the towball on the trailer / caravan without anyone assisting.
The one feature I would never not have again.

Definitely second @Amarillo on the ACC - makes covering distances on motorways an absolute dream
Thanks for this- I see the attraction alright but for some reason, which I can’t put my finger on, it’s not jumping out at me as something I would like using. Probably once I used it I would get used to it but my gut isn’t really going for it at the moment. Appreciate the advice.

I wouldn’t order without rear view camera. Great for parking. Even better in a carpark with people moving about, or reversing at an angle (like I do to get onto my drive) and you can the sensors are beeping... and the final and most important for me, is being able to reverse right under the towball on the trailer / caravan without anyone assisting.
The one feature I would never not have again.
Thanks - in my head it was standard on the Beach (and I just double checked just in case I imagined it!) it is indeed standard (phew!) It’s great on our current vehicle and I’d imagine it’s invaluable on the Cali. Thanks for this, very helpful.
-L

Not familiar with the exact options on the 6.1 Beach but two I've been really please with on the T6 are;

17" chassis (basically the uprated Ocean Chassis & Brakes)....its the brakes, they are superb especially if you ever tow with the Cali

LED headlights.... expensive but turn night into day, and the daytime running lights look really cool...

Not familiar with the exact options on the 6.1 Beach but two I've been really please with on the T6 are;

17" chassis (basically the uprated Ocean Chassis & Brakes)....its the brakes, they are superb especially if you ever tow with the Cali

LED headlights.... expensive but turn night into day, and the daytime running lights look really cool...
Thanks indeed- the 17” chassis hadn’t really come up our thinking on this. I didn’t know that the brakes were upgraded on this option (though I don’t know whether it’s available in this jurisdiction in any event). We’ll not be towing (but of course now that I’ve said that we probably will!) With the options, I’ve been trying to keep a lid on them - otherwise I’m liable to go crazy and want everything ! This goes for the lights too- I’ve never really had a high spec vehicle so my expectations of these things are probably fairly low. This will be our sole vehicle but tend to get about usually on foot or bike without a huge amount of night driving in unlit areas, so thought we wouldn’t really get value from them. I’ve probably also been influenced by the suggestion that the cost of replacement is relatively high, compared to non LED units. Thanks for this information - might need to give these issues another mull over the weekend...

Thanks for this- I see the attraction alright but for some reason, which I can’t put my finger on, it’s not jumping out at me as something I would like using. Probably once I used it I would get used to it but my gut isn’t really going for it at the moment. Appreciate the advice.
I once got it without knowing on a rental car. It was disconcerting until I realized what it was, then I loved it. No more tapping the brake to disengage, then clicking resume. It vastly increases the utility of cruise control when combined with DSG.

Reactions: Lll
Congrats!!

We have the T6 Beach with 2 seater bench, which is also our only vehicle. We haven’t had it that long but I would suggest the LED headlights. If the lights are the same as the T6 Beach, they are not that great. The Beach lights are not the same standard as the Ocean ones. Of course this may be different with the 6.1. If going with the standard headlights, maybe consider getting the fog lights.
If getting the heater (essential), the winter pack will be a bit more but you get the heated windscreen and seats.
Also, for on street parking in London, the mudflaps have provided a useful early warning when close to the kerb as they stick out further than the wheels. We have the sensors but no reversing camera and don’t find parking an issue.
I do like the digital dashboard, but it’s not essential. Aren’t you tempted by that?
Also, I thought the Beach Camper already came with the awning as standard. You may want to check or maybe another member can confirm.

+1 for led lights, amazing difference

expensive but very very good

I reckon the 80L fuel tank will save the day at some point in your Cali’s life... given the heater runs off diesel and you’ll probably be grateful of the extra range at some point... it’s only £78

I kept seeing people harping on about the headlights... never really has a problem in my 2016 T6 Ocean... but didn’t drive much at night, or even dusk. Whilst awaiting a new vehicle I have a loan Caravelle, T6, with the LED’s. I am so glad I have. I will not order a vehicle without after just twice driving at dusk.
Another great use of the forum. ‘Listen’ to the advice. The wealth of experience here is vast. Thanks guys, you’re costing me a lot, but I am super excited to make my Beach order next week.

I reckon the 80L fuel tank will save the day at some point in your Cali’s life... given the heater runs off diesel and you’ll probably be grateful of the extra range at some point... it’s only £78
Less than a tank full of diesel :)

Reactions: Lll
Less than a tank full of diesel :)
Where is the time that: 80L was standard, as was seat heating at the front, mud flaps, ashtray + cigarette lighter, front fog lights, comfort dashboard, aux heater with remote, ...
The only thing I really needed extra was cruise control, all the rest is a nice extra. On a Belgian California Comfortline that was, of course.
If you now have to pay £78, or €87 for a bucket extra space in your fuel tank :headbang

-1 for the LED lights
-1 for the ACC if you drive abroad (set for UK traffic)
+1 for front and rear sensors and camera
Otherwise great spec choice! :upsidedown

Congrats!!

We have the T6 Beach with 2 seater bench, which is also our only vehicle. We haven’t had it that long but I would suggest the LED headlights. If the lights are the same as the T6 Beach, they are not that great. The Beach lights are not the same standard as the Ocean ones. Of course this may be different with the 6.1. If going with the standard headlights, maybe consider getting the fog lights.
If getting the heater (essential), the winter pack will be a bit more but you get the heated windscreen and seats.
Also, for on street parking in London, the mudflaps have provided a useful early warning when close to the kerb as they stick out further than the wheels. We have the sensors but no reversing camera and don’t find parking an issue.
I do like the digital dashboard, but it’s not essential. Aren’t you tempted by that?
Also, I thought the Beach Camper already came with the awning as standard. You may want to check or maybe another member can confirm.
Well now, thanks very much ! I hadn't noticed that front fogs are not standard (I incorrectly assumed that the optional extra related to the cornering, not the fogs) so this option has just made the cut. Multifunctional mudflaps - I love it ! On the winter pack, I know heated seats are very popular and it would be the first thing my sister would spec ! But not for me and so the cost of the winter pack for the use of the heated windscreen alone seemed a bit steep. The digital dashboard was one of the "don't look too closely at this or you'll want it" options - so I'm going to stick with the basic (and not look too closely!)... It seems that the awning itself is not standard for the Beach in Ireland and I guess we should get it (though a tiny part of me wonders whether we might be better off with the rail and go down the driveaway awning route).

Definitely sounds like that's where the smart money is - tick !

Back