Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a success?

reserves

reserves

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
A family friend is after a camper and loves our Cali but wants something bigger and with a bathroom.

That’s easy I said, the Grand California. However once I started looking into them I got a feeling that VW might have dropped the ball on this one.

The cabin seems cramped as does the bed (600) and also the bed above the front seats too. Also just doesn’t give me the ‘glowing’ feeling that the Cali does. Seems very clinical.

This is a long way of saying, hand on heart I don’t feel comfortable recommending one to them. This family member is the type of person who’d take my advice and order one (very gung-ho, unlike me who researches everything to death!)

I’ve read the various threads about the alternatives and have to say, even though I love our California (I recommend these to anyone who’ll listen) I get the feeling that the Grand California could have been better, it seems some of the alternative Crafter builds are better thought out.

I’ve also seen some ex demos which are sticking around as opposed to Cali’s which are selling like hot cakes.

Happy to be wrong, would be great to hear some thoughts.

Last edited:
When you compare one to something like the Adria twin. It feels very cramped...
Then when pitted against Westfalia, as they are at a similar price point. The Grand makes no sense what so ever...

To be fair, I’ve not camped in one. But my impressions from the trade show looking at all these vans side by side.

I’m very much looking for a big Cali with a toilet and shower. I can’t find anything that’s light and modern in and out, under 6m, under 3.5T, based on crafter/sprinter and has a pop top. (And has usable dealer network in Scotland - hymer doesnt) If you find something, let me know!

We will more than likely move to something bigger in the next couple of years, but it won't be the GC in its current format. The biggest let down for me is the lounge area. How on earth are you expected to get comfy in that space. A Wimpy booth springs to mind. And where on earth does the TV go?

A simple LWB factory-made cali with more floor space and a toilet only would win for me. I’m likely to buy to the GC next week because I can’t see any other options that fit me and my wife’s remit (we are both mid 30’s and can’t stand oak veneer and van stickers)

edit - club joker kinda fits this, but I need 4 berths and somewhere to store baby seats

Last edited:
At 6’4” i could not find any van I could stand up in when in shower without my head being through the skylight or having to sleep diagonally on the bed! Every van has comprises but when moving from a T6 California we felt that the GC680 had the least. Would like a smaller table but will source from Germany

A family friend is after a camper and loves our Cali but wants something bigger and with a bathroom.

That’s easy I said, the Grand California. However once I started looking into them I got a feeling that VW might have dropped the ball on this one.

The cabin seems cramped as does the bed (600) and also the bed above the front seats too. Also just doesn’t give me the ‘glowing’ feeling that the Cali does. Seems very clinical.

This is a long way of saying, hand on heart I don’t feel comfortable recommending one to them. This family member is the type of person who’d take my advice and order one (very gung-ho, unlike me who researches everything to death!)

I’ve read the various threads about the alternatives and have to say, even though I love our California (I recommend these to anyone who’ll listen) I get the feeling that the Grand California could have been better, it seems some of the alternative Crafter builds are better thought out.

I’ve also seen some ex demos which are sticking around as opposed to Cali’s which are selling like hot cakes.

Happy to be wrong, would be great to hear some thoughts.
To start I had a new T6 Ocean in 2019 and loved it, but it a great vehicle and daily drive. I was always approached on campsites as it was a great looking van, we soon learnt (4 months) it really wasn’t going to do it for us due to its size , also really needed a proper loo to pee in. So changed it quickly for a GC 600 as at that time traveling europe was on our list for 3/4 months. 2020.
A lot of people’s perception is to compare the GC to California why I don’t know it’s a different beast apart from the name and aimed at a different market, yes IMO VW made the mistake making the 600 2 berth with 2 nippers as previously mentioned it would have been better as a pop top with the lower roof.
It also lacks galley storage for longer trips, overhead storage is narrow but adequate. I ordered mine without the kids bunk, this allows mega over cabin storage.
The boot area with cabinets is vast and if you have had a Cali you know how to pack.

As you probably all know the Crafter is a great drive and dare I say easier than the T6 due to the fly by wire steering. They may be stark inside but by looking at some of the photos on here a lot of you do not like the finishes in your current vans and have modernised.

We all have different requirements in a van and expectations, what I do know you will not find a better base van than the crafter. So whether it’s a 600 or a 680 each to there own.
You pay your monies. I’m now moving on to a 680.

Hopefully not offended anyone along the way.

Having looked at options with more space and the onboard Toilet facility than my T6 has I have considered the Van based options including the GC. My conclusion currently is that the van based options don't solve the flexibility on internal space that very similarly priced smaller Motorhomes do. External length and heights are similar just a width difference which is quite dramatic when inside.

If I were advising a Friend I'd ask which one they'd rather spend a typical British weather holiday in.

A simple LWB factory-made cali with more floor space and a toilet only would win for me. I’m likely to buy to the GC next week because I can’t see any other options that fit me and my wife’s remit (we are both mid 30’s and can’t stand oak veneer and van stickers)
This description sounds very familiar. The Cali layout did not work for us. So we went LWB, with toilet, external shower, hot water and high top. Not everyone's cup of tea but we love what we have. Oh, and no wood veneer in sight, a cream and pale blue interior with only a smig of carpet - which if I had been in the ball would not be there! Each to their own.

I have always been a big fan of the cali I still am,but now owning a man tge on a mwb westy it’s such a brilliant vehicle and a pleasure to drive
The size of the glass surrounding you is epic,you really can see everything ....it’s lovely in the cab area like a t6 but more roomy
Just a nice place to be,
The 8spd is brilliant

Hello,

Beginning of the year I looked more into campervans with the dream to change vehicle. But have I said that over all the California is for us the best solution.

My search was based on what would be availability in Ireland and what would be realistic in price. Of course I would love a campervan from HRZ in Germany, but I can't afford a camper for EUR 125.000.

Keeping this all in mind I believe that an alternative to the Grand California would be the Westfalia Amundsen 600e.

It is just 6 m long, length bed, still small "lounge" area, kitchen and a wed room (I am not saying bathroom because it is too small). It is still under 3.5 t and still has a decent load capacity. Also seems the build quality is ok.

On the German web page I configured the Amundsen 600e as if I would order it. The price came to EUR 64,000! That included the 163 BHP engine, automatic and almost all packs offered for the Amundsen.

As much as I like Californias or VW products, but I would not go for a Grand California. Again, have I said all that, I have not seen an Amundsen nor have I driven a Fiat (Camper) van. The Crafter might be far better, but for what cost?

At the end it boils down to personal taste, needs and financial possibilities.

Happy California,
Eberhard

IS THE GRAND CALIFORNIA A SUCCESS?​

I really don't know.

However, when it first came out I studied both versions with interest and arrived at the following conculsion:

Where as the California is the well established gold standard amongst a very small number of alternatives, the Grand California is VW's new boy trying get noticed in an already crowded and well established market for larger motorhomes. IMO there are many other makes and designs offering much better internal layouts within that market sector. The GC's mid positioned bathroom layout effectively cuts the van in half both width and length ways giving the impression of it being less roomy than other MHs. IMO, this isn't the best use of the available space. I stand to be corrected but to me it seems that it's two main advantages appear to be limited to it's borrowed VW "California" name and it's one manufacturer warranty.

I'm sure it's a fine product but if I were in the market for a larger van those two possible advantages wouldn't necessarily hold that much sway in my decision making process.

One final thought. Given that we are in Motor Home territory here, the GC interior appears about as homely as a dentist's waiting room. I'm not sure that's what most potential buyers would be looking for.

Last edited:
As many of you already know, I’m looking at an ex demo 600. Reasonable happy with a T6 cali but I want a ‘hotel on wheels’. Personally I think the layout is fairly standard among this level of van. I wouldn’t want the toilet in back, it would affect the ‘garage’. And I’d want the back bed separate from living room.
I’ve looked at all the hymers, adria, etc and for me (with 2 kids and dog), and cannot find an acceptable 4 berth. Plenty good 2 berths.

the best 4 berth is the westfalia James cook with a pop top. That starts at €82k, which will effectively be £82k, which is same price as my specc’d GC. But I can get that for equiv 65k ex demo with a good trade in. So I think the GC 600 is the best in that price, but over £75k, westfalia wins hands down.

As many of you already know, I’m looking at an ex demo 600. Reasonable happy with a T6 cali but I want a ‘hotel on wheels’. Personally I think the layout is fairly standard among this level of van. I wouldn’t want the toilet in back, it would affect the ‘garage’. And I’d want the back bed separate from living room.
I’ve looked at all the hymers, adria, etc and for me (with 2 kids and dog), and cannot find an acceptable 4 berth. Plenty good 2 berths.

the best 4 berth is the westfalia James cook with a pop top. That starts at €82k, which will effectively be £82k, which is same price as my specc’d GC. But I can get that for equiv 65k ex demo with a good trade in. So I think the GC 600 is the best in that price, but over £75k, westfalia wins hands down.
This conversion does look good despite the price. Does anyone know a dealer or if this is available in RHD? All the best

If you camp with 4 people having the toilet in the middle is a good idea as it effectively gives you separate bedrooms.
I wouldn’t want a pop top on a bigger van, if you are already over 2m high there’s no real advantage in saving a bit of height, compared to the advantages of having a hard top with better insulation, more storage space and no worries about noisy windy nights.

Other than perhaps a slightly reclining rear seat it’s difficult to see how Vw could have improved the layout whilst still making it work for 4 people.

It is possible to get a cab bunk if you do need to separate 2 kids.

Out of all the 4 berth vans I’ve looked at the GC has what I would regard as the best made and safest rear seats. No scientific data to back it up but even the big name converters seem to rely on wood screws and plywood as part of the seat structure.

My only real criticism would be that I would like more opening windows.

If you camp with 4 people having the toilet in the middle is a good idea as it effectively gives you separate bedrooms.
I wouldn’t want a pop top on a bigger van, if you are already over 2m high there’s no real advantage in saving a bit of height, compared to the advantages of having a hard top with better insulation, more storage space and no worries about noisy windy nights.

Other than perhaps a slightly reclining rear seat it’s difficult to see how Vw could have improved the layout whilst still making it work for 4 people.

It is possible to get a cab bunk if you do need to separate 2 kids.

Out of all the 4 berth vans I’ve looked at the GC has what I would regard as the best made and safest rear seats. No scientific data to back it up but even the big name converters seem to rely on wood screws and plywood as part of the seat structure.

My only real criticism would be that I would like more opening windows.
Andy as your probably aware the 680 could have more windows as an option.

Andy as your probably aware the 680 could have more windows as an option.
Not interested in a 680 as its too long & I would want 4 berths.

Youngest would fit easily for a good few years, next one is 17 but small & only comes along if she wants to.
The older two don’t come camping with us anymore.
So thinking of it more as 3 berth after this summer which I think would work.

Having previously had a roller team 700 which was a 7 berth we have a good idea as to what works for us & what doesn’t.

A GC would fit on the drive in addition to the Ocean. Strangely I would be happy to loan out a GC to family & could see it getting a lot of use, whereas no-one gets to touch my Ocean. The 3.5tn license is a huge advantage here as well.

If I could get a used one for £50-60k I would have one by now, it’s just that little bit too much at the moment.

Back