Grand Cali Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChrisSloanes123

ChrisSloanes123

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi everyone.
First post here but I’ve owned my grand Cali for around 7 month and I’ve had and still have tons of issues with it.
Just wondering if anyone else seems to just constantly have issues with things such as boiler, electrics tripping the boiler, tap and water pump issues etc?

I’m also looking at potentially swapping the bed to the other side as I think it will help a lot more with space when I’m walking around etc. has anyone done this and if so how do you find it?

I did make a video on YouTube going over some of the issues I’ve had and got.

I WISH I knew this before buying! - VW Grand California 600

It was a very good video. It popped up in my feed yesterday.

Hi @ChrisSloanes123 and welcome along. Sorry there are areas of disappointment and frustration with your Grand Cali.
The frost protection is standard truma behaviour and is typical of many motor homes, this is not a VW Grand issue specifically, it’s the way the boiler works.
Having a loft bed in a GC600 does not force you to have a 3.88t vehicle, the fact the vehicle you purchased from the VW showroom was a 3.88t means you need a C1 licence. If you’re lucky enough to be young then as you say this is not something you get for free.
You can have the loft bed in the standard 3.5t vehicle.
The tap is a weak point and there is now a new tap being fitted to the latest production vehicles. If your tap continues to fail you can request a replacement to current new spec.
Others have mentioned step issues and have had new steps fitted.
Hope all your issues get ironed out and you can continue to enjoy the Grand with less problems.

You Grand Cali looks amazing, really like the look you have achieved, I really do like it :cool:

I watch you video program and is much bad information you give.
I explain for you same order you complain video program.

1. For you no sunshine and rainbow, is not same every peoples who is buy.
Many peoples is best sunshine and most colour rainbow machine. ( for me is wunderbar ). Peoples is not writing - I am wonderful campings today and is nothing break, only when is something wrong is time they writings and ask help.

2. Truma frost protect excellent - GC not only sell to england, to north europe where is sever winter - frost protect super. Water tank and pipes GC not winter system insulate and so is Saving owner big expenses when is forget empty water and heat system.

So you are not read truma manual and attach Truma sensor heater if is not like frost protect function?

3. Yes can is clear Truma control error - but you are must read manual and is easy do. you say you should go home becasue you in sing - Yes, going home and read how is using heat system si good for you doing.

4. Tap is easy fix - looking many forum and you can seeing how. Is also now Vw can attaching new design tap.

5. Bed is not should stay up - only when is need access store area under, no peoples will try operate kitchen shelf when is bed up. you are not child and you can see obvious this. is not complain eligible.

6. Not cooking smell is go to the bed - you can opening many windows and door when is cook and is smell go out. May you be need you mother showing you how is cooking and not make smell home and campingvan!

7. I am hope i am never sit aeroplane when is you putting items lockers and is hit me or some other people head! Is easy fold and correct method pack locker is not thing fall out when is open. May you mother show you how is fold you cloths.

8. You are not think what you license in you country let you drive before buy vehicle? Maybe you think you can operate helicopter also?
I am hope you check you have pilot license before you buy such flying machine and not after you are discover you must get such license allow you operate what you are buy!. Do you doing many other buyings frontwards backwards living?.

9. Front chairs is very easy turning around. Not needing make force and then is break part.
Is so simple is most children can doing.
Make chair back upwards, then is turning, then is back / front slide to comfortable place and last is make back chair to angle such is comfortable.
You look ( i not be rude say ) terrible way you are fighting chair, I am wish Vw see how you do and is not repair warranty for you and you must pay fix.

10. You give wrong information gas bottle - not is each GC 2 gas bottle, Gc what is diesel heat system is 1 gas bottle connection ( i am keep extra 1 gas bottle and little size gas barbecu place where is " some " gc is 2 gas bottle place.

Is Vw bad they not give you gas bottle? I am let you knowing, if you are buying new home gas heat system - gas is not include - i let you know is helping you are not disappoint new home heat system not comes with gas - you must also buy gas separate.

12. Incorrect information water pumpe, not need going under bed remove fuse. Is simple connector under mattress topside the cold water tank - make separate 2 connectors and is pumpe not functions or make noise.
You make such terrible information to peoples who is not know this.

13. Front window - you cannot attaching 4 places 1 slice of material?
Are you home can put bed quilt each corner bed and is bed look nice or is mama/wife must do for you?
Is very easy attaching 2 place material to sun cover and then 1 stretch strap across after and is take me less time is 2 minutes.
How this can be difficult is for disable people i can understand only.

I am hope many peoples who is think buy GC is not your video makes much attention such is so many errrors.

Is better you make video what will show accurate information to peoples and not wrong because many things is You is make wrong and not camping machine.
May you learning better how is operate correct and can more enjoy camper!.

Is Gc really super machine, but owner must knowing correct method operate such - when is not and make amateur effort then is showing such problems you are describe.
I wish you improvement you skills and many happy campings will then come to you.

I'm not surprised the front seats bust if thats the way its treated, its possible to turn even the drivers seat in a GC without opening the doors or even putting the backrest vertical. Just far easier to do if you are not sitting on it at the time.

Re the Frost valve - its the same in 99% of motorhomes, not sure why you need a plug in heater? if you've got mains electric the electric heating works fine without any water in the system.

3.88tnne - licence I'm surprised the dealer didn't ask before you bought, its not VWs fault though.

Gas bottles - apart from California Chris, I don't know of any dealer that provides a bottle with the van. Again its not VWs fault.

The water pump - there's nothing wrong with your water pump, its the tap that you brutally assaulted leaking water into its switch. It shorts the contacts & makes the pump run. Thats why your dealer hasn't fixed it by replacing the pump. There is a recall for a replacement tap which will solve this.

I'm not surprised the front seats bust if thats the way its treated, its possible to turn even the drivers seat in a GC without opening the doors or even putting the backrest vertical. Just far easier to do if you are not sitting on it at the time.

Re the Frost valve - its the same in 99% of motorhomes, not sure why you need a plug in heater? if you've got mains electric the electric heating works fine without any water in the system.

3.88tnne - licence I'm surprised the dealer didn't ask before you bought, its not VWs fault though.

Gas bottles - apart from California Chris, I don't know of any dealer that provides a bottle with the van. Again its not VWs fault.

The water pump - there's nothing wrong with your water pump, its the tap that you brutally assaulted leaking water into its switch. It shorts the contacts & makes the pump run. Thats why your dealer hasn't fixed it by replacing the pump. There is a recall for a replacement tap which will solve this.
I not like be rude answer him but is most terrible video program Gc i have see.
Man is look idiot i am sorry say such ways he shows everything is really horrible watching.

I am agree 100% all your post tells!.

I am wonder is same man than is this puzzle?

I understand that for many its easy to love something that cost them a lot of money since they dont want to feel like they made a wrong decision but you cant sit there and blindly praise the GC and say its perfect because its very very far from it. There are tons of problems with it.

The video is my opinion and you clearly have a different opinion. Thats fine i dont need people to agree with me.

And to point out what i presumed was obvious... thats not how i would actually turn the seat around.

I have issues where when plugged in my boiler does not work at all. The only way it works is if I’m running on gas only. VW have been unable to figure this out so far and it’s due back in for repair in a couple of weeks again to see if they can figure it out.

I don’t understand why the frost thing would do that since everything is inside the camper? Not like any of it’s gunna freeze when it’s inside the van. We would be in deep sing if the van interior was below zero?

The 3.8 tonne thing like I said in video was just to be aware of because I wasn’t made aware of it. Whether you say it’s vw fault or not a salesperson representing them didn’t inform me so that’s vw fault in my eyes.

I’ve had the tap replaced and it’s still happening?

Have you got the new design ( shiny chrome ) tap? That’s the one that fixes the problem. Putting another identical one on isn’t going to fix anything.

The frost protection only kicks in at 3.5 degrees. If you are sure it’s not going to get any colder stick a clothes peg or zip tie over the release button.

Another suggestion if you are handy with a screwdriver is to swap the electrical cupboard door to open from the other side, makes it far easier to access from inside the van.

Nah the tap they fitted was the same looking as the original. I’ll get them to do it again next time it goes in.

Does that actually work? I was worried where that water would end up if I blocked it when it was trying to dump it out.

Yeah funnily enough me and the missus discussed this today. Think I will turn it around when we get back home and put some shelves in the other too.

Yes it’s a different tap - fair bit of work to fit it as they have to make the hole in the sink bigger & disconnect the gas etc. The new one is supposed to have better waterproofing round the switch.

There is no possibility of damage to the dump valve other than you forgetting & it freezing. You are not blocking the outlet just stopping the button popping out.

Are you 100% sure that you actually have the electric heating / water? It’s not fitted as standard for all markets.

If you havnt done so it’s worth googling the truma manual so you can check any error codes on the panel under the bench seat.
Chances are your dealer has never dealt with a truma heater before so it wouldn’t be surprising if they are relying on looking at forums like this for guidance.

If you havnt found it yet the German California board is a huge resource of information with many many more GC owners on it. Takes a bit of effort but google translate works well.

As others have already said, RTFM!

You should probably pull that video as your ‘opinion’ is factually incorrect in quite a number of places. Such as stating you need to have an HGV licence to drive that van. The one you have has the over cab bed so therefore must be the 600 which is 3.5 tonnes standard abs therefore doesn’t need a C1 licence to drive it, let alone a HGV licence.

Feels like this must be your first motorhome as most motorhomes use the same parts i.e. Truma.

Be good to see your Truma control panel and what errors it's giving you, as some members might be able to offer some advice.

You do not need to be on a camp site to clear the truma error code, if you've messed with it so it has locked you out, you'll just have to wait 15 minutes for it to clear (or do a hard reset via the boiler).
You can still get heat without water in the tank.

Last edited:
Such as stating you need to have an HGV licence to drive that van. The one you have has the over cab bed so therefore must be the 600 which is 3.5 tonnes standard abs therefore doesn’t need a C1 licence to drive it, let alone a HGV licence.
You are wrong & he is correct on that one, the 600 can be registered as either, with certain combinations of options eg Awning + extra bed + towbar you can only register it as 3.88tnne as there is insufficient payload at 3.5tnne. The one he has bought is plated at 3.88tnne.
He does need a C1 licence. Not an HGV licence but still a higher category than a car.

As others have already said, RTFM!

You should probably pull that video as your ‘opinion’ is factually incorrect in quite a number of places. Such as stating you need to have an HGV licence to drive that van. The one you have has the over cab bed so therefore must be the 600 which is 3.5 tonnes standard abs therefore doesn’t need a C1 licence to drive it, let alone a HGV licence.

Feels like this must be your first motorhome as most motorhomes use the same parts i.e. Truma.

Be good to see your Truma control panel and what errors it's giving you, as some members might be able to offer some advice.

You do not need to be on a camp site to clear the truma error code, if you've messed with it so it has locked you out, you'll just have to wait 15 minutes for it to clear (or do a hard reset via the boiler).
You can still get heat without water in the tank.
Everyone has the right to their “Opinion” and can understand that when you have paid £80k -£90k for a motorhome you want everything right and not back and for to the VW repair shop. It’s obvious that with something like the Grand California you would probably need at least a half a day with an expert explaining how this works and how that works. It doesn’t sound like where he picked the van up from had any idea the dos and dont’s of that model.
It doesn’t even sound like they knew what license was required to drive it..Picking our van up from Sinclairs many moons Ago the salesman there was absolutely useless and even we knew more than he did..he didn’t even know how to turn the seats around or that the roof was aluminium..
Everyone wants their investment to be a good one but it seems the dealer has not gone the extra mile on this occasion.

Hi Chris

I found your video sad. You have paid a lot of money for great expectations that are not being fulfilled. Like many, including me, you have gone from a Cali that worked brilliantly and expected the same from your GC, including the benefit that appears to be your main driver, the integrated "one stop shopping" of the vehicle.

I have the same Truma system but mine is Electric or diesel. I simply never let the internal temperature drop below 10degrees if I'm out and about so never have the problems you, and a lot of others, do, with the water dump. If you are off grid and do not have diesel heating then presumably you have gas? Those bottles look like 6kg and not 11kg so can understand why you would not want the heating ticking over.

Why do you travel with the bed folded up? The cooker shelf you mention and the above bed cupboards are only unusable because of the position of the bed. I do not have a GC, but my Ayers Rock is similar layout and 0.5m shorter and I've never had the bed folded up. The only reason I would do that is if I was carrying something like a bicycle, but then I have a tow bar rack for that. I am unfamiliar with the GC layout but mine has a removable separator that allows completely through access from rear doors to drivers seat without needing to undo the bed.

Access into the overhead lockers are going to be problematic regardless of who made the vehicle if the lockers are over the bed. As I'm not over 6'9" tall I carry a small folding step, stays on the bed when I'm travelling, but allows easy access to those lockers.

Taps on motorhomes are a constant source of Grumble on all motorhomes, and even some cali owners have problems (I had a tap like yours on my T6, spent more time in my hand than over the sink). They can be a pain. I believe it is a dometic made tap, although in over 60 nights now mine seems to be more durable.

I think you have the same Thule step as mine. Mine squeaks, creaks, groans, sometimes does not go back far enough to trip off the alarm, again a third party product that appears to be a problem on a lot of conversions. I find just putting a bit of pressure against it with my leg when closing helps to ensure it goes back far enough. I have asked for mine to be replaced when I trundle up to Cumbria for my first service in July and until then it's a niggle but nowt to worry about in my opinion.

Gas bottles: I have never had one given to me in any motorhome, caravan or Cali until July last year when a 6kg bottle was installed as a complimentary gesture by Adventure Leisure in Tebay. I only need to carry one as my heating and hot water does not depend on gas supply and I've got a small one burner stove with gas cartridges that can get me by should I find myself out of gas for a few days.

I hope you get your issues resolved. The frustration would drive anyone nuts.

You are wrong & he is correct on that one, the 600 can be registered as either, with certain combinations of options eg Awning + extra bed + towbar you can only register it as 3.88tnne as there is insufficient payload at 3.5tnne. The one he has bought is plated at 3.88tnne.
He does need a C1 licence. Not an HGV licence but still a higher category than a car.
He doesn’t make that clear in the video, says these vehicles need a HGV licence, which is incorrect in any case.

So I have the bed and awning and mine is 3.5 tonnes. Does a 30kg tow bar make it a C1 by default then?
I’m pretty sure that’s still only by personal choice.

Last edited:
Everyone has the right to their “Opinion” and can understand that when you have paid £80k -£90k for a motorhome you want everything right and not back and for to the VW repair shop. It’s obvious that with something like the Grand California you would probably need at least a half a day with an expert explaining how this works and how that works. It doesn’t sound like where he picked the van up from had any idea the dos and dont’s of that model.
It doesn’t even sound like they knew what license was required to drive it..Picking our van up from Sinclairs many moons Ago the salesman there was absolutely useless and even we knew more than he did..he didn’t even know how to turn the seats around or that the roof was aluminium..
Everyone wants their investment to be a good one but it seems the dealer has not gone the extra mile on this occasion.
Of course everyone has a right to their opinion, but when your opinion makes completely incorrect statements, it’s not opinion is it?!

Truma system can be started for heating with no water and at any temperature.
Panel can be reset without being on a camp site.
Not all vehicles are 3.88 tonnes and that’s not a HGV licence anyway.

So I have the bed and awning and mine is 3.5 tonnes. Does a 30kg tow bar make it a C1 by default then?
I’m pretty sure that’s still only by personal choice.
The system won't let you order a Bed + awning + towbar without having the weight upgrade. There are other combinations that you cant order as a 3.5tnne, Bed + awning + spare wheel for example.

Theres a minimum payload needed per belted passenger at registration time & you cant get that with some of the heavier options.

In Ireland you can have a GC as a 3.5tnne van but with only 2 belted seats.

You tells you are
I have issues where when plugged in my boiler does not work at all. The only way it works is if I’m running on gas only. VW have been unable to figure this out so far and it’s due back in for repair in a couple of weeks again to see if they can figure it out.

I don’t understand why the frost thing would do that since everything is inside the camper? Not like any of it’s gunna freeze when it’s inside the van. We would be in deep sing if the van interior was below zero?

The 3.8 tonne thing like I said in video was just to be aware of because I wasn’t made aware of it. Whether you say it’s vw fault or not a salesperson representing them didn’t inform me so that’s vw fault in my eyes.

I’ve had the tap replaced and it’s still happening?
Do you having electric heat system? Is not standard fitting all country. I am pay extra 3 heaters - remote water heating, Diesel heating and Electric heating - all 3 is extra cost.
Is comes only gas heating if not pay extra upgrades.

Do you thinking Vw makes special camper only for england? Do you know how is winter temperatures nothern europe where is Vw sell same camper?

We have bottle water is freeze solid ice inside car / camper winter - is clue for you!. Think if you can what is effect this cold to boiler pipes pump and taps system.

Is Vw tell you are need legs for driving this camper? How they know you are not medical legs undering your trousers? Are you expect Vw is make check everything possible this earth for you are suitable drive this?
You are need you mama / wife everywhere you are going make sure you do correct and not stupid thing!.

You tells you are

Do you having electric heat system? Is not standard fitting all country. I am pay extra 3 heaters - remote water heating, Diesel heating and Electric heating - all 3 is extra cost.
Is comes only gas heating if not pay extra upgrades.

Do you thinking Vw makes special camper only for england? Do you know how is winter temperatures nothern europe where is Vw sell same camper?

We have bottle water is freeze solid ice inside car / camper winter - is clue for you!. Think if you can what is effect this cold to boiler pipes pump and taps system.

Is Vw tell you are need legs for driving this camper? How they know you are not medical legs undering your trousers? Are you expect Vw is make check everything possible this earth for you are suitable drive this?
You are need you mama / wife everywhere you are going make sure you do correct and not stupid thing!.

Your just a flipping cock mate. Go spend your evenings raging somewhere else will you. Prick.

I think there is a few 2nd language issues in this thread.... At least I hope that's the case!

I think there is a few 2nd language issues in this thread.... At least I hope that's the case!
I don’t understand why he’s being such a cock to be honest.

Is all language we can understand he make terrible video program what is show -

1. he is not read owner instructions pack and is not research other owner who is show how and he is not understanding how is operate correct camper.
2. he is blame camper his own fail.
3. he is new this group and begin tell longer time member what is he think must do.
4. he is use bad language and is grumpy when he is not like what is peoples tell to him.

5. I am think he is not choose best group join when is 1st time he write here - he is not understand most peoples here is very nice and help, and not use bad language 1st day camper school when he is new pupil. :))

Your just a flipping cock mate. Go spend your evenings raging somewhere else will you. Prick.
No need for the bad language, I’m pretty sure you can read between the lines of the language barrier.

Your first post here was a marketing message promoting your video. Your follow up posts have only been regarding that.

Why not try contributing something to the forums before using them as a marketing tool? Usually helps to keep people on-side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back