Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In shock and very sad …

Sorry, just got too excited ;-)

Thule Motion XXL roof box with rack delivered today. Still trying to get my TOLUCA wheels and the Old-fashioned bikerack. Found them, but shipping is an issue.

I am so pleased that this story has a happy ending coming now - I think we all look forward to seeing pictures of the new one tomorrow & you can start to put it all behind you.

Look ahead and not back , start with a clean sheet...:thumb

First sundowner in the new Cali (and first pic - more to come) … soo nice to be back on track ;-)

The car drives really well and I am really surprised how dynamic and (relatively) powerfull the small 102 hp (75kW) engine is. Runs more quiet and smooth that the 114 hp we lost. So my biggest concern has gone to shame.

Today we started to "move back in", and that feels good. We worked a lot:

Thule WingBar on 753 Fixpoint xl. with a Thule Motion 900 XXL box (its BIG). I am very pleased with this setup. It fits so snug despite Thule recommend the higher 751 Fixpiont. I like the look of the lower fix point a lot better. We had the original VW (logo) on the old car, and it look like the box was standing on poles. The WingBar makes this setup very quiet.

Brandrup seatcovers. I took about 90 minutes to fit all the seats. I ordered them in the new textile for the old car already in January (from the shop in Netherland) – the last cover arrived yesterday – just in time ;-) I am surprised how tight and nice they actually fit. And lucky we decided to take them in the new fabric!

In the parcel was also the Porta Potti ordered in january. So it moved in the closet under the sink. Quite overwhelming to drill holes in new the kitchen to move the shelf upwards. But I turned out easy and the result is nice. But he chemicals for the Porta has quite some odor … Yaiqs! Any tips for handling that stuff are most welcome!

The Bumber protection foil (it was also ordered for the T5), but it came on nicely after quite some struggle. The new number has a differend shape, and the foil is thick and rigid, but finally it did fit almost invisible.

I also fitted the workshop protection (really easy). But it did not fit so well, actually it was 4 mm to short on the cooler and 10 mm on the stove. Anyone had that issue? I dont think VW change the measures of the kitchen for the T6. Think I must ask Andrew (@Ajspicer ) on that, Maybe I ordered the wrong one?

Oh yes, there was also a Brandrup utility for the small window, in the parcel. So it also got that in place in the small window over the cooler. Now waiting for salt, pepper and other small things for cooking to move in.

The front-window-silver-cover fits nicely with the one chair in the rear, and the cali-topper with the other. Easy to access. Both from Comfortz Leisure.

And the cooler now got two baskets - I have one left trom the old Cali. I do not know if its great to have two in, time will show. And the Thermometer moved back in as well.

All the camping stuff (The starter Pack, levelling blocks, etc) and the modified telescope latter went under the rear seat again. Just like before – some things are starting to find its place.

I wanted to mount the small under seat drawer (extra), but the color on the interior had change, so I need to get a new plasticcover first. Hope not I need a complete new drawer …

Time was up. The kitchen stuff and the LayBags goes in tomorrow … we prioritized to drive for the sundowner. But we forgot the wine … bummer!

And I still need the get hold on the wheels and the bikerack. The navi is also on the list, but not quite sure if they do mount them yet or we still have to wait.

I really need to thank you all for the support. It really meant a lot to us!

IMG_3827.JPG

Last edited:
Your new van looks great. It is good to see a happy ending to this nasty episode. I really hope that you and your family can now put it all behind you and move on and enjoy many wonderful adventures in he/she/it. More pictures please?

I also fitted the workshop protection (really easy). But it did not fit so well, actually it was 4 mm to short on the cooler and 10 mm on the stove. Anyone had that issue? I dont think VW change the measures of the kitchen for the T6. Think I must ask Andrew (@Ajspicer ) on thet, Maybe I ordered the wrong one?

View attachment 14383[/QUOTE]

Hi, lovely to see you have your new California.

I have supplied quite a few protector kits to other T6 owners wishing to protect their new interior and many have sent feedback reporting a perfect fit.

The protectors are purposely designed to be a little narrower than the cooler and cooker glass worktops to avoid edge peel and possible paper cuts to your fingers. They are approx 2mm narrower on each side edge.

Can you please send a photo of your fitted protectors?

Hi,

Thanks for the photo,

This is the only report I have received of a poor fitting protector. As I said, they are designed to be approx 2mm narrower to avoid peel and paper cuts but this is clearly more than 2mm.

I think this must of been a manufacturing problem for this one kit as I have received only positive comments from T6 owners regarding fit.

I will be in touch via private message to get this problem resolved.

Andrew.

Many thanks Andrew. I am sure this is a single occasion. I have already send you the pict on a PM.

The kit was really easy to fit and it looks great, so I really can recommend it. And I guess my friend - who receives his new Cali next thuesday - will order one to ;-)

Hitting the road for one month with no goal tomorrow, the preparations has been intense. And I am really surprised what you can convince yourself to buy for the Cali when you are not able to control yourself. The livingroom – or the whole house is filled with stuff.

Filled the water tank for the first time. Topped 30 liters and 75 drops of Micropur (its a silver ion non tasty 6 month conservation fluid) Not that the water will stay in the tank for that long. So I need to decide a system on the keep the water drinkable form the tap. Dunno if thats the right track, but time must show. Actually not so keen on using additives.

Got new workshop protectors from Andrew today. Thanks a lot. Will install them tomorrow. I really got happy with that solution.

Installed the T6 bikerack, really easy but the mount of the protection stickers was a hassle because i wanted no bubbles and chose to mount them on soap water – like the workshop protection. It worked, and the result became invisible. The Rack is really easy to fit even one man alone. You can discuss for, and against the T6 to the T5 reversed. I had originally decided on the T5 type, but I was impossible to get someone th ship it to Denmark, so I went for the T6 and must say I am already very pleased wit the way it handles and works. Grat piece of equipment. I added a Bikecover from Fiamma and the warning sign for Italy. Why ist it so hard to get a sign, with Italy on one side, and Spain on the other.

I found a small safety box, and with slight modifikations, it did actually fit well in the closet, using the screws from the cooler. Padded wit some adhesive felt (IKEA) it has become rattle free – we like rattle free ;-)

We also went for the frost protection in the cooler. Hope it will protect the cans from freezing – at least it protects the beers from ruling around. Yes I know its not the best lager in the world (see pict below) … but it was leftover form the Rosklide Festival.

I added the second (small) under seat drawer. And cut som carpets to take the rattles from the stuff. This drawer is really good for small boxes with Tea, Coffee, etc. I had the old drawer, and wanted just to change the plasticcover to the new (Moonrock) color. But Its not a sparepart (even it got its own part number). So I needed to go for a complete new drawer.

Since our cali was an ex demo, and configured without the navi, We mounted a iPad Mini in a CD holder. I have installed WiFi in the car, so now use online navigation. At the moment I am testing Google Maps and Waze.

And finally we got our new 18" Toluca rims with Conti tyres. The car just lost its innocence and looks a lot better in my opinion.

IMG_3892.JPG

The Toluca 18" pre mount. There are no significant change in the comfort of the car. I believe from what I have heard, that one should not go bigger if comfort is a wish. The 19" and 20" really takes the smoothness apart, especially if you chose to lover the car.

IMG_3895.JPG

The small "beer and wine saver". Should protect the important content to be ruined.

IMG_3896.JPG

The second drawer. Really nice to have. Would never order a Cali without one.

Last edited:
Hi,

Pleased to hear your replacement worktop kit arrived safely.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Enjoy your trip!

The small "beer and wine saver". Should protect the important content to be ruined.
Where did you get this from? We always have a small puddle in our fridge after a week away. This would do the job nicely. :)

I some how missed your thread! First, sorry that you lost your T5 and had all the logistics & life issues to work through to get back to normality ... and surely will have more things to keep working through for months/years! There is no way to understand it until it happens. We are excited about the T6!! Wow! Having lost a T5 in an accident (I am sure our photos are somewhere on the site) and now having a T6, it is a great compensation, but something I know you wouldn't want to re-live.

Here is our before and after photos ... we were in a situation where there were no T6s in Tenerife yet, so it was wait a month for police & insurance paperwork, our insurance allowed a settlement before everything was resolved (bus company still not claiming responsibility) and then wait from early Sept - Feb to get new T6 ... since we had the wait, we got it with 150hp, dsg, 4motion, etc. ... however, we have waited 4 months (and still waiting) for new Thule box and other accessories that were lost ... we pay little tax here, but wait forever for anything.
P7290006.jpg P7290008.jpgIMG_4880.jpg

Here is our before and after photos ... we were in a situation where there were no T6s in Tenerife yet, so it was wait a month for police & insurance paperwork, our insurance allowed a settlement before everything was resolved (bus company still not claiming responsibility) and then wait from early Sept - Feb to get new T6 ... since we had the wait, we got it with 150hp, dsg, 4motion, etc. ... however, we have waited 4 months (and still waiting) for new Thule box and other accessories that were lost ... we pay little tax here, but wait forever for anything.
View attachment 14953 View attachment 14954View attachment 14956
Very nice. I am glad that it is all working out for you at last and I hope that you are all getting over the shock of the accident.

I suppose that given your location and forum name your new T6 had to be yellow.

What does this actually do?
It keep things in the fridge a 1cm above the bottom , the condens (more melting water imo) from the rear(cold)side puddels up and makes everything wet , and sticky...

In fact you also need one against the rear(cool) side where the ice first shows up...

I just clean mine out every two days or when i see a pudlle water on the bottom...makes more sense.

Back