Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'm in love!

Personal opinion - after all if someone pays the price it is worth it.

I think this is over priced - I think you're expected to pay for the add ons - side bars - wheels - leather. In reality strip away those things and it's a Cali, well specced but just a Cali. You can add those things to any Cali.

I've seen Berghaus Calis 2012 at 4k less than this and with VW SAt Nav - no leather but its more exclusive and okay, no auto but that doesn't seem to command much more.

Just my thoughts - they'll probably get the asking price.

James

Saw this on EBay as well . Looks a fantastic spec.
I'm sure you could make them an offer as £45k just before Christmas and the bad weather now here makes it more of a buyers market.
I guess it depends on whether you NEED all the spec it has. You could buy a 140SE new with some haggling and still have change. You pays your money etc. etc.

James is right, that is over priced and there is a big dealer mark up in there aswell, you could get a similar van for under £40K ( several 2012 DSG models in the for sale section around £39k ) and add the bits yourself and save a good few thousand pound.

I hear you all and totally agree that it is over priced but I really want a black auto!

I am going to see Oli on Saturday and look at his white auto and black manual but I am still in a dilemma.

I know I can get a different colour for much less
I know I can get a manual for much less
I know I can get a 140 for much less

But for some reason, black autos don't seem exist, we'll they do but not many.

I am also looking at a brand new one for £49000 but it does not have as many extras.

Rich Corrado said:
I hear you all and totally agree that it is over priced but I really want a black auto!

I am going to see Oli on Saturday and look at his white auto and black manual but I am still in a dilemma.

I know I can get a different colour for much less
I know I can get a manual for much less
I know I can get a 140 for much less

But for some reason, black autos don't seem exist, we'll they do but not many.

I am also looking at a brand new one for £49000 but it does not have as many extras.

It's not that black autos don't exist - it's not a buyers market - this is not like buying a Ford Focus. Of course you should buy something you want but it's madness to pay thousands just because you want a particular colour van.

buy one and wrap it lol

All that extra money could spent on extras and in turn enjoying the van.

James

Have you tried making an offer that you think is reasonable? They can always say 'no'.

I can make either of mine look like that for less :cool:

I would consider a wrap, what sort of money can you get it done for?

James.....

Of course you should buy something you want but it's madness to pay thousands just because you want a particular colour van.

To be far when your spending that sort of money surely its worth spending a bit more for the colour you want???

We were looking at a Natural Grey but we spent £2,000 more for new and in the colour we wanted.... ( BlackBerry ) :D

Well I just had a shocker of a weekend!
On thursday I fell in love with this Cali but thought it was over priced.
I then spent a couple of days thinking about the meaning of life and justifying it to myself (and my wife)
I managed to get the dealer to budge on the price so thus making it more attractive and competitive.
Late on Saturday night I finally announced to my wife that we were buying it!
Unfortunately I woke on Sunday morning with some sort stomach bug, and then spent the entire day feeling sorry for myself and curled up next to the toilet.
The only thing that kept me going through those lonely dark hours was the thought of the beautiful Cali I had decided to buy.
My plan was to put a deposit on the Cali that morning but due to my unfortunate situation it wasn't at the top of my priority list. Plus the dealer had told me he would contact me if anyone else showed an interest or called about the California.
By lunch time I was feeling pretty low and decided to pick myself up by looking at the advert for the Cali...... :eek:

Panic, shock, desperation..... The advert had gone!

I then spent the next hour desperately trying to contact the dealer, whilst running to the toilet, ( more info then you needed)
Eventually the dealer text me saying it had sold :shocked :censor :headbang

I am so gutted but the search goes on!

If anyone knows or hears of a black auto Cali for sale please let me know.

RodCouncil said:
Out of interest have you hired or spent much time in a Cali before now?

Very good question!

I have never stayed in a Cali before but I'm no stranger to camping in tents and cars!

I have spent time travelling around the Alps in a large motorhome but I appreciate this is not the same. To be honest, as much as I liked the motorhome I found it to much of a hindrance when it came to doing anything.

A large motorhome has its benefits but does not fit my current requirements.

I have always wanted a Camper but never been able to justify its expense.

We have two young boys and love going on random unplanned trips to Devon, Dorset and Cornwall and think the Cali would be so much fun!

I also do quite a lot of mountain biking which involves trips to Scotland and Wales so having something like the Cali would be perfect.

We also have a friend with a Cali that has been raving on about it for the last year so I have studied them in detail.

I know they are not the most spacious thing in the world but they offer a warm, dry, hassle free bed for the night which is exactly what we want.

40k investment and never hired on for a few hundred quid, interesting. There are lots of potential pitfalls you might want to check out before parting with so much cash.

I've hired one 3 times now and still we're not sure it's for us, deliberately used one in poor weather too. I would also get a lot of good use being a National MTB racer and general outdoors person, but there are still doubts for me.

RodCouncil said:
40k investment and never hired on for a few hundred quid, interesting. There are lots of potential pitfalls you might want to check out before parting with so much cash.

I've hired one 3 times now and still we're not sure it's for us, deliberately used one in poor weather too. I would also get a lot of good use being a National MTB racer and general outdoors person, but there are still doubts for me.

Valid point.

Let me put it another way.

For the last 3 years I owned a KTM Xbow (a mental/impractical two seat sports car)

I did track days with it and drove it to work when the sun was out but it was an extravagant toy that the family got no use out of. Don't get me wrong because I loved it but it had to go.

The California would be another extravagant toy but it would be used loads!

If after a couple of years we decided it wasn't big enough or it wasn't quite right then I would sell it and going from the current market I cant see me loosing a vast amount of money.

That said I personally believe it would bring loads of enjoyment to the family over a long period of time and for that reason I think its worth it.

Its human nature to think about the pros and cons of something and debate as to whether its the right thing to do but you don't know what's round the corner in life.

Enjoy it whilst you can.

Ive come from a Honda powered S1 Elise after spending all my time flying around Spa and the Ring so I understand the contrast.

Just hire one and see how you go, personally I'm looking at older spec ones now as I can't get on with the 2.0 BiTT

Rich Corrado said:
What don't you like about the 2.0 BiTT

I've not tried the DSG (hiring again early next year to see if another gear helps), only the manual. For me it just requires a lot of changes and power delivery although quite linear doesn't feel as torquey as the old 5 cylinder unit, it's a product of legislation as opposed to engineering imo, simply put I don't like the way it pulls, often runs out of puff on quite shallow inclines too.

I know exactly what you mean.

I have test driven a few manuals and thought they were a bit gutless and I was permanently changing gear!

I have driven the auto and it felt much better purely because I didn't have to keep fishing about for the correct gear. I'm also a lazy bugger and have driven an auto for the last 6 years (apart from the Ktm) so for me there's no question which gear box to go for.

RodCouncil said:

I don't see the big deal about buying without hiring first.
We read the brochures before we bought ours but really it was a spur of the moment decision.
As mentioned if you find it's not for you they seem fairly easy to sell and keep their value brilliantly so what's the risk?
Our only regret is not using it anywhere near often enough.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you can afford and justify a x-bow then you can afford and justify a Cali. Get it spent.

Californiaman said:
If you can afford and justify a x-bow then you can afford and justify a Cali. Get it spent.

My thoughts exactly

Best you come and see me then :cool: