Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

Convince me.

Convince me.

London’s Super Sewer

It is also easy to forget that an increasing number of households are generating their own power with rooftop solar panels.

Gravity batteries are being built which can store energy at 80% efficiency. Three large scale batteries are proposed or under construction on the shores of Loch Ness as I type.

Britain won’t be reliant on a single energy source. Nuclear will be a major contributor for decades, and small scale reactors are being developed by Rolls Royce.

Long-lasting efficient solid state batteries are already used for critical low-energy power needs such as heart pacemakers. It is almost certain that in the future they can be used as a non-critical high-energy power source, such as EVs.

Just as steam took over from wood, and ICE took over from steam, low or zero carbon electricity shall take over from ICE.

In under two decades Britain has built 400 miles of smart motorway. Building the overhead gantries for power lines for pantograph HGVs will be far quicker and less disruptive. Fuel costs are a major factor for logistics companies. If pantograph HGVs reduce that cost transition shall be swift. I’m not yet convinced that pantograph is the way it will go, but neither am I convinced it is not the way it will go.

However, I am convinced ICE cars of the future will become as rare as steam trains are today. If hydrogen can be bubbled up cheaply on windy days close to the wind farms now being built, perhaps hydrogen will be the replacement fuel for HGVs.

View attachment 117992
only M3 Touring I’ve seen in the flesh was this Swiss one in Croatia. Fabulous idea, but the styling is ‘challenging’ & the pricing is astronomical.
Surprised they get away with the front number plate behind the windscreen in Switzerland.

Lol....... you want me to share 38yrs of work experience.....
Actually, no I don't.

I would expect all of the issues you have mentioned to be thoroughly discussed, planned for and properly executed during the creation of any individual project. I would be concerned if they weren't.

To illustrate my point, in their new draft plan, our local council have recently announced thier proposal to create a huge "15 minute Garden Town" in the middle of quiet rolling agricultural countryside. If it goes ahead it will encorporate and swamp three local villages of which mine, which was mentioned in the Dooms Day Book, is one. The plan includes schools, retail property, homes for OAPs and at least 3500 new dwellings. In addition, where my council's area borders another council district, that council have also floated similar plans to further expand this development. As a result, the combined proposed development would see well in excess of 6000 new dwellings constructed. Btw, the term "15 minute Garden Town" is a quote from my council's draft plan. The ironic part of this is that there is no way that there will be enough employment within 15mins for all these new bread earners. So despite the Garden Town principal of every thing being provided within 15 minutes thus reducing the need for cars, the vast majority will have to use cars to go to work and since most homes require two incomes to support their mortgage repayments, that will mean hundreds if not thousands of extra vehicle movements each day.

As you will be all too aware, this isn't an isolated case either. Accross the whole South East there are numerous other large scale building projects either planned or in progress, involving many tens of thousands of proposed new dwellings. I know that the South East isn't alone in this respect either

My point is not about individual projects but, as I previously mentioned, the "bigger picture". Who is looking at that and the future effect these massed combined developments will have on regional infrastructure including public transport, medical facilities, agriculture, road conjestion, quality of life, etc etc and not forgetting utilities. And in relation to this thread future electricity demand verses generating capacity?

Still not convinced from Kent.

Last edited:
London’s Super Sewer

It is also easy to forget that an increasing number of households are generating their own power with rooftop solar panels.

Gravity batteries are being built which can store energy at 80% efficiency. Three large scale batteries are proposed or under construction on the shores of Loch Ness as I type.

Britain won’t be reliant on a single energy source. Nuclear will be a major contributor for decades, and small scale reactors are being developed by Rolls Royce.

Long-lasting efficient solid state batteries are already used for critical low-energy power needs such as heart pacemakers. It is almost certain that in the future they can be used as a non-critical high-energy power source, such as EVs.

Just as steam took over from wood, and ICE took over from steam, low or zero carbon electricity shall take over from ICE.

In under two decades Britain has built 400 miles of smart motorway. Building the overhead gantries for power lines for pantograph HGVs will be far quicker and less disruptive. Fuel costs are a major factor for logistics companies. If pantograph HGVs reduce that cost transition shall be swift. I’m not yet convinced that pantograph is the way it will go, but neither am I convinced it is not the way it will go.

However, I am convinced ICE cars of the future will become as rare as steam trains are today. If hydrogen can be bubbled up cheaply on windy days close to the wind farms now being built, perhaps hydrogen will be the replacement fuel for HGVs.
Yes, these are all promising projects but they are all under development so their true worth has yet to be realised. Despite my scepticism, I sincerely hope that you are right about the future.

Better get back on topic now.

Yep aware of this and a few have been rolled out in Hampshire to the extent I don't recognize some of the roads/landscaping.

I've priced a few schools as a result of these new developments but more Oxford way. I don't do residential unless by way of a favour. However now don't feel the need to do this.

Back on the ID Buzz

Breeze offering up to a £10350 discount on stock Buzzes

This thread seems to have gone off topic and just turned into the usual EV bashing thread, rather than actually discuss the Buzz itself

Let’s try and keep it on track - I’ve just picked up a Buzz Style Pro. The first owner paid £71k and ticked every option apart from electric seats, drove it 900 miles in 9 months. I paid £52k which I think is a fair price

It’s a great car - mainly used for local trips and school runs. Lots of room and great visibility for a big car. Very easy to position given its size, feels so airy and relaxing to drive in part because of the windscreen being so far away. Tech is really good, infotainment system is responsive and lots of software updates already so negates most of the initial review points. Range is fine and I knew the type of journeys I would do in advance, but must say that the UK charging network is much better than when I got my Tesla in 2015, so would consider longer trips if needed. Obviously everyone has different needs but I can’t understand people who moan about lack of range - just don’t buy this EV if you need long range. I can still do 550 mile trips in my Cali if needed or want to camp

So in summary, pleasantly surprised by the Buzz and recommend trying one out if you think it might work for you as a family car. It will depreciate but that’s because it’s a car - they all do that. I think they are good value around the £50k mark and the fact that there are very few on the road makes them less likely to suffer massive price drops than the million other SUVs etc

This thread seems to have gone off topic and just turned into the usual EV bashing thread, rather than actually discuss the Buzz itself

Let’s try and keep it on track - I’ve just picked up a Buzz Style Pro. The first owner paid £71k and ticked every option apart from electric seats, drove it 900 miles in 9 months. I paid £52k which I think is a fair price

It’s a great car - mainly used for local trips and school runs. Lots of room and great visibility for a big car. Very easy to position given its size, feels so airy and relaxing to drive in part because of the windscreen being so far away. Tech is really good, infotainment system is responsive and lots of software updates already so negates most of the initial review points. Range is fine and I knew the type of journeys I would do in advance, but must say that the UK charging network is much better than when I got my Tesla in 2015, so would consider longer trips if needed. Obviously everyone has different needs but I can’t understand people who moan about lack of range - just don’t buy this EV if you need long range. I can still do 550 mile trips in my Cali if needed or want to camp

So in summary, pleasantly surprised by the Buzz and recommend trying one out if you think it might work for you as a family car. It will depreciate but that’s because it’s a car - they all do that. I think they are good value around the £50k mark and the fact that there are very few on the road makes them less likely to suffer massive price drops than the million other SUVs etc
I’m glad I cancelled my new order. When I put my deposit down day one they were announced, my rationale was as an eagerly awaited retro microbus, they would hold value.

At the price you paid, they represent fair value. I would love to drive one. In an era where a family estate performs like a supercar of the 90s and endless traffic, speed cameras etc, the idea of pootling around in relaxed fashion like I did in my old vintage busses appesls.

Glad you’re enjoying it.

Last edited:
I thought about placing an order when I thought they would be £50-£55k, but once prices were released and they were closer to £70k I decided not to

I previously had a 64 Splitty before my Cali and can relate to the pootling along experience. The Buzz is unlike other modern cars I’ve driven and far less stressful. On motorways I just turn on the cruise control and driver assist and go with the flow. However the best feature for me is the traffic jam assist, it just crawls along in the school run traffic jams and all I do is steer. I definitely think the large glass area and feeling of space in front of the driver also helps

The thing I dislike the most are the 21” wheels, but I’m replacing them with a set of 20” BBS

I thought about placing an order when I thought they would be £50-£55k, but once prices were released and they were closer to £70k I decided not to

I previously had a 64 Splitty before my Cali and can relate to the pootling along experience. The Buzz is unlike other modern cars I’ve driven and far less stressful. On motorways I just turn on the cruise control and driver assist and go with the flow. However the best feature for me is the traffic jam assist, it just crawls along in the school run traffic jams and all I do is steer. I definitely think the large glass area and feeling of space in front of the driver also helps

The thing I dislike the most are the 21” wheels, but I’m replacing them with a set of 20” BBS
So you bought a used Buzz and let someone else take the new EV depreciation?

Yes as I explained in my previous post

I’m just trying to add some real world owner experience to a thread on the car. It reflects my use case which might be different to others, but I also went into it knowing that it’s a family car and is never going to be a Cali replacement nor do 500 mile trips

Just out of interest, what new price would tempt anyone that was considering one?

If Breeze are offering just over 10k discount, then surely NEW ones are very close to 50k now?

My local dealer in Southend had 5 ID Buzz just on the forecourt and showroom, i suspect they have many more either out the back or in dealer stock!

Back in Sept I thought high 40s for a First Edition. But now they are at that price I'm sort of sitting on my hands watching the prices drop. As someone who buys, I rather pay less.

Plus my 11yr Volvo is sooo comfortable, costs nowt, it's a tough vehicle to part with....

Back in Sept I thought high 40s for a First Edition. But now they are at that price I'm sort of sitting on my hands watching the prices drop. As someone who buys, I rather pay less.

Plus my 11yr Volvo is sooo comfortable, costs nowt, it's a tough vehicle to part with....
This is kind of how I feel about my 2009 RAV4. Not so comfortable as a Volvo. But super practical and a great diesel lump.

Handing back my 330e and going to run the RAV for awhile when I’m the Cali arrives.

But if EV prices keep falling, I might buy back in.

M

We paid £65,485 for one of the first two-tone 1st Editions to arrive in the UK. Was offered £67,500 for it on delivery, which we didn't take because we thought there was going to be a big demand for them, due to there being a two year wait being quoted then for two-tone orders. We intended selling after a year and getting another Cali.
Sensed the demand was falling away, so sold after three months for £64,500 having only done 1000 miles, and have bought a two year old 4Motion for similar money.
The cheapest similar Buzz on Autotrader today, with 8,249 miles is at £47,990. Another with 337 miles is £55000.
Cool as they are IMO, really lovely to drive, the list price is just too high. I agree, around £55K is about right.

M

We paid £65,485 for one of the first two-tone 1st Editions to arrive in the UK. Was offered £67,500 for it on delivery, which we didn't take because we thought there was going to be a big demand for them, due to there being a two year wait being quoted then for two-tone orders. We intended selling after a year and getting another Cali.
Sensed the demand was falling away, so sold after three months for £64,500 having only done 1000 miles, and have bought a two year old 4Motion for similar money.
The cheapest similar Buzz on Autotrader today, with 8,249 miles is at £47,990. Another with 337 miles is £55000.
Cool as they are IMO, really lovely to drive, the list price is just too high. I agree, around £55K is about right.
That’s a great result getting out and into a 4 Motion for the same money.

With timing like that, you should look after my stocks & shares!

I think that £47k Buzz is a lot of car for the money.

Me too....... so I washed the Volvo. 2yrs in the Volvo might cost me £2k in depreciation......

Was thinking today that cash buyers must be the bain of car dealers. Also washed the Cali and its 9yrs old this year and we've not felt the urge or forced to change due to the end of the PCP term. A optimistic VW spreadsheet would have said I should be ordering my 4th one by now

IMG20240121152219.jpg

I see that VW have now changed the way these are sold. You buy direct from VW and not the dealer so the new price may now firm up a bit?

Let’s hope there’s finally a reality check with the motor industry 2nd handmarket/ex demo.
People will needed to be tempted to part with there cash now there’s a good interest rate, or will be thinking harder about borrowing (no more nearly free cash floating around).

Starting to see stock at dealers too.

Back