Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to drive to the Alps?

Hi, I drive to Sainte Foy Tarentaise (just opposite Les Arcs) 3 -4 times a year.
The Sanef Tolls are around €95 each way.
well worth getting one of these tags for the windscreen if you don't have one:
https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

I usually get close to 30mpg and it's about 620-650 miles from Calais so about 93litres of fuel. Autoroute prices a few weeks back were €1.80-2.02 per Litre. Ouch.
A26 Calais-Reims, then Dijon, Lyon, Chambery, Abertville, Moutiers, Bourg St Maurice.
I always do the driving myself and in one day but we'll have a proper lunch stop and after I've eaten I'll have a nap whilst the family do something else.
I always use winter tyres but there are all season tyres now with the 3 peak mountain snowflake and I think they're pretty good.
If you do end up needing chains you probably won't need them until the last few kilometres, if that - they're usually pretty good at ploughing the roads but, 2000m is pretty high so do definitely take chains - Gendarmes will make you put them on in the layby in Bourg St Maurice if conditions are bad .

if you're running standard size tyres (235/55R17 or 245/45R18) the manual says chains won't fit. That's referring to 'conventional' chains - because they wrap around the back of the tyre and could foul the suspension etc. There are 'no fit' type of chains/traction aids which attach to the wheel nuts and I've seen these fitted to standard size tyres. I run 20" tyres so have to use this kind anyway.

See here for some examples (other places sell them too):
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=snowchains&query=8505&Sub_Model=&TID=333

Be aware of the speed cameras as the limit drops to 90kmh in the Chambery area - it's really easy to miss and I've been done at 92kmh so there's not much tolerance. (it's not a huge fine and there's an app to pay with)

Everyone is different but I never bother with an overnight stop. The one time I did, it just took twice as long but I was the same degree of knackered.

I'm tied to school hols though so time is precious. If I wasn't then maybe I'd take an extra day and see some things on the way. If you're not in a hurry and want a bit of luxury - Hotel Le Cep in Beaune is a couple of minutes from the autoroute and a valet parking / medieval town affair with some nice restaurants dotted around. it's very scenic and en route.

if you're doing self catered and want shopping there's a massive Super U / L'Eclerc etc in and around Bourg St Maurice. There's also a great Ski/Board Shop there called Labo Shop in case you forget anything.

EDIT: if you're going on school holiday / changeover dates then the road into the Tarentaise can be a bit of a shocker AND, the Gendarmes block all of the autoroute exits to stop people taking shortcuts/ratruns. There's not much you can do about it other than try to get there as early as possible. We often get the the 06:50 Chunnel but the earlier the better. sometimes we go through the night but I'm always way too excited to sleep before hand so end up having to stop for nap after nap on the way.

Tyres hopefully being fitted now. See other thread. Have chains ready and will have a dry run.

The next issue is my wife driving. Owned the van 15 years and my wife has driven it once for 20 minutes about 14 yrs ago. We need a refresher course. It would help, and every year we say she will have a go. She’s a good driver so hopefully will give it a go.

Tyres hopefully being fitted now. See other thread. Have chains ready and will have a dry run.

The next issue is my wife driving. Owned the van 15 years and my wife has driven it once for 20 minutes about 14 yrs ago. We need a refresher course. It would help, and every year we say she will have a go. She’s a good driver so hopefully will give it a go.

Let her do the French motorway part. It’s pretty easy.
Point forwards, accelerate, cruise control set at 82mph. Brake when you need to stop. Usually 3 hrs later or the next Peage… :thumb

Last time I went to the alps to ski - many years ago, took the evening ferry after work, stopped overnight in Senlis Hotel Ibis. Arrived at our chalet mid afternoon the next day. Might be better to go via Reims nowadays.

Let her do the French motorway part. It’s pretty easy.
Point forwards, accelerate, cruise control set at 82mph. Brake when you need to stop. Usually 3 hrs later or the next Peage… :thumb
Any particular reason for 82?

Sleeping with one eye open then :oops:

I would head South…

Hi, I drive to Sainte Foy Tarentaise (just opposite Les Arcs) 3 -4 times a year.
The Sanef Tolls are around €95 each way.
well worth getting one of these tags for the windscreen if you don't have one:
https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

I usually get close to 30mpg and it's about 620-650 miles from Calais so about 93litres of fuel. Autoroute prices a few weeks back were €1.80-2.02 per Litre. Ouch.
A26 Calais-Reims, then Dijon, Lyon, Chambery, Abertville, Moutiers, Bourg St Maurice.
I always do the driving myself and in one day but we'll have a proper lunch stop and after I've eaten I'll have a nap whilst the family do something else.
I always use winter tyres but there are all season tyres now with the 3 peak mountain snowflake and I think they're pretty good.
If you do end up needing chains you probably won't need them until the last few kilometres, if that - they're usually pretty good at ploughing the roads but, 2000m is pretty high so do definitely take chains - Gendarmes will make you put them on in the layby in Bourg St Maurice if conditions are bad .

if you're running standard size tyres (235/55R17 or 245/45R18) the manual says chains won't fit. That's referring to 'conventional' chains - because they wrap around the back of the tyre and could foul the suspension etc. There are 'no fit' type of chains/traction aids which attach to the wheel nuts and I've seen these fitted to standard size tyres. I run 20" tyres so have to use this kind anyway.

See here for some examples (other places sell them too):
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=snowchains&query=8505&Sub_Model=&TID=333

Be aware of the speed cameras as the limit drops to 90kmh in the Chambery area - it's really easy to miss and I've been done at 92kmh so there's not much tolerance. (it's not a huge fine and there's an app to pay with)

Everyone is different but I never bother with an overnight stop. The one time I did, it just took twice as long but I was the same degree of knackered.

I'm tied to school hols though so time is precious. If I wasn't then maybe I'd take an extra day and see some things on the way. If you're not in a hurry and want a bit of luxury - Hotel Le Cep in Beaune is a couple of minutes from the autoroute and a valet parking / medieval town affair with some nice restaurants dotted around. it's very scenic and en route.

if you're doing self catered and want shopping there's a massive Super U / L'Eclerc etc in and around Bourg St Maurice. There's also a great Ski/Board Shop there called Labo Shop in case you forget anything.

EDIT: if you're going on school holiday / changeover dates then the road into the Tarentaise can be a bit of a shocker AND, the Gendarmes block all of the autoroute exits to stop people taking shortcuts/ratruns. There's not much you can do about it other than try to get there as early as possible. We often get the the 06:50 Chunnel but the earlier the better. sometimes we go through the night but I'm always way too excited to sleep before hand so end up having to stop for nap after nap on the way.
Great post - thank you.

We've done it with the kids, now 10 and 12, for the past 5 years at feb 1/2 term (except 2021 wiped out by COVID obviously :() . Driving is so much nicer than flying, less manhandling of skis, boots etc through an airport, transfer, taking sledges, supplies for self catering etc etc.

We leave straight after school on Friday evening and have caught a ~9pm ferry for the first 2 years. Eurotunnel at a similar time for the last couple of years which is a million times better! Driven through the night and stopped when I felt I needed to. We have a 3-seat Beach and had packed it so that we could easily drop the bench seat and all four of us streched out on that.... didn't bother popping to roof in an Aire. As of last year the kids are now too big for us all to fit, but I just had a snooze in the drivers seat. The first year we took plenty of breaks and also hit big jams so didn't get there until 5pm Saturday. Last year we were there by 10:30 am Saturday including a supermarket shop!!

On the return journey we've tended to ski all day Saturday and then set off back. We've booked an early Sun ferry and had a long wait at the terminal (big storms) not getting home until Sunday night, and we've booked a 2am tunnel and been in the Midlands by about 5am Sunday.

Last edited:
We've done it with the kids, now 10 and 12, for the past 5 years at feb 1/2 term (except 2021 wiped out by COVID obviously :() . Driving is so much nicer than flying, less manhandling of skis, boots etc through an airport, transfer, taking sledges, supplies for self catering etc etc.

We leave straight after school on Friday evening and have caught a ~9pm ferry for the first 2 years. Eurotunnel at a similar time for the last couple of years which is a million times better! Driven through the night and stopped when I felt I needed to. We have a 3-seat Beach and had packed it so that we could easily drop the bench seat and all four of us streched out on that.... didn't bother popping to roof in an Aire. As of last year the kids are now too big for us all to fit, but I just had a snooze in the drivers seat. The first year we took plenty of breaks and also hit big jams so didn't get there until 5pm Saturday. Last year we were there by 10:30 am Saturday including a supermarket shop!!

On the return journey we've tended to ski all day Saturday and then set off back. We've booked an early Sun ferry and had a long wait at the terminal (big storms) not getting home until Sunday night, and we've booked a 2am tunnel and been in the Midlands by about 5am Sunday.
Sounds like an excellent plan.

I looked at prices for a ski holiday this Feb half term and was shocked at the prices. How much do you budget for a week’s self catering?

Sounds like an excellent plan.

I looked at prices for a ski holiday this Feb half term and was shocked at the prices. How much do you budget for a week’s self catering?
Everywhere has gone up a lot but we’ve got a 1 bed apartment for c £750 ski (nearly) in/out in Les Esserts (Grand Massif)
Ski passes seem to have gone up lots too

Everywhere has gone up a lot but we’ve got a 1 bed apartment for c £750 ski (nearly) in/out in Les Esserts (Grand Massif)
Ski passes seem to have gone up lots too

£750 I could manage.

I was looking at ~€2,500 for an apartment in Flaine (where I first skied). Other ski associated costs, ferry and fuel would just about double that. It makes for a very expensive week.

£750 I could manage.

I was looking at ~€2,500 for an apartment in Flaine (where I first skied). Other ski associated costs, ferry and fuel would just about double that. It makes for a very expensive week.

Not a lot of choice available now, though its worth checking both Airbnb and VRBO since their free cancellation policies mean that things keep coming back onto the market. We liked Les Esserts since you get the whole Flaine area on the pass if you want, but it is much more compact resort. This is is an example.......only a studio, but it's a decent location.....

Agree with this re half term, last year was the first time I've been at half term as before kids always avoided it. I drove down (from Luxembourg) to Bourg a couple of weeks before half term, took 7 and half hours. On the Saturday of the half term we left about 5am, alarm bells ringing around Dijon when saw how busy service stations were, but blimey, when you get to Chambery and then feed towards Albertville! The whole journey took 13 hours with the last 100km taking about 6 hours, nose to tail and chaos at Peage station, as you mentioned side roads closed by Gendarmes

Does anyone know if it is a lot clearer on the Sunday?

I’m not that worried about my mpg. More sliding off a mountain! But my T5 often only gets 25mpg when I start nudging 80mph.

Just booked at car park with 230cm height. So it looks like I’m doing it.

Any sleeping suggestions? Half way overnight stops? Any specific places where you can check in at midnight? Do they exist?
We have driven three times to Les Menuires from Cornwall (almost 1000 miles each way). The first time we did it in one hit and, as you can imagine, it was too much. I can remember pulling onto our driveway at 4am with the computer showing 17+ hours of driving time! The other two times we have stopped at Reims and stayed in a really cheap Premiere Class hotel. These are cheap and cheerful but in reality you only need to sleep and then go again so we thought they were ok. You might be able to get comfortably further than Reims though before you need to stop.

Done it many times, car and camper, summer and winter. Tried every permutation, short stops, long stops, overnight stops. Best is drive straight there, two or more drivers rotate 2 hours at a time. Make stops very short, to pee and buy fuel, do your snacking and sleeping on the move while not it’s not your turn to drive. Long stops, stops to sleep etc make the whole journey too long and you’re knackered. Apple or Google maps tells you quickest route. Work backwards to plan arrival late afternoon when accommodation is vacated and available and ski shops still open to sort rental. Unwind in the evening and sleep well. Enjoy the mountains. I have snow tyres but always carry chains and have used them a few times over the years, sometimes just for short distance (few hundred yards) to avoid getting stuck where ice forms from meltwater. they are the only safe and effective thing on ice. We travel from Manchester via tunnel non stop.

Does anyone know if it is a lot clearer on the Sunday?
Those staying the week will normally have a Saturday check-in/out while those coming for the weekend will typically arrive on Friday evening and leave Sunday afternoon or evening. Easter weekend, especially this year since it falls so early in the season, is going to be super busy.

How do I drive to the Alps? Any tips welcome.

I am desperate to ski after not going for ten years and had a great package lined up but it sold out yesterday. After a complete scramble I managed to book the accommodation we wanted. But no flights or transfers.

My friends family is going to the same place and planning on driving. I wouldn’t normally consider this if the flights and 3 1/2 hr transfer weren’t incredibly expensive.

Our new electric i3 won’t be going so California it will have to be.

700 miles, 11 hours. I’m working the day before but I am guessing setting off and getting through the tunnel and maybe get a few hours done that night would be good. We live in London.

700 miles about £350 of diesel?
What might tolls be?

On our summer holidays I don’t like doing more than 4 hours! The kids are 10 and 14.

Can 4 of us and a fair bit of skiing luggage realistically sleep at an aire? At Easter? Roof up? Is that safe? Would a very late check-in hotel be better!?

How do I drive up the Alps to 2000 metres? Snow chains required?

I then have to see where I can park a 2 metre vehicle. The apartment has parking but I’m guessing 2m might be a problem. There might be a place further down the mountain to park and then get a lift up.

I know it’s possible but I’m surprised I’m considering it. All tips appreciated. Particularly suggestions for somewhere to sleep along the way.
Haven't read all other replies so apologies if this replicates some of them:
Emovis tag;
For checking 2m headroom on car parks use Goole street view;
We always book a hotel en route for stopover - 4 up and ski gear sounds like a bit of an ask!
Traffic - usually horrendous;
Crit'Air sticker if you are driving into any cities https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr
Winter tyres or All Season - with 3PMSF marking - not yet mandatory but will be next year. Or Snow chains. We've always taken chains as well but have never used them;
Euro breakdown cover - although thankfully we've never used it!
Have you booked the ferry or tunnel? I would suggest a fully flexible ticket so you can turn up and go - certainly on the way home it reduces stress as not trying to get a particular train/ferry.
If you have kids take a pee bottle!
We also take a survival shelter - some may say overkill (my wife says that!) but if you breakdown on the autoroute and need to get out of your car and the weather is horrendous...

Thats all I can think of!

Just watch out for the road tunnel before bourg st Maurice (moutiers) if heading to les arcs. We went there last year at Feb half term in one day and it took 19 hrs from north Essex due to traffic jams. If you can stay over close to Geneva and get into resort early/lunchtime that is the best option.

We have driven to Les Arcs about ten times now, first in a car later in the Cali, family of four. We drive from the north west so a bit further than you I think. We use the channel tunnel and we head for Reims stay the night in a hotel and then drive Reims to Bourg St Maurice in about seven hours. We go either Lyon, Chambery, Albertville or come off near Dijon onto the A39 and go Bourg-en-Bresse, Annecy, Chambery, Albertville. They are both similar journey times but the scenery is better on the Annecy route. Yesterday due to farmers demonstrations we had a terrible journey home but it was a one off.

Easter is not particularly busy in French ski resorts, from my experience the French don't head to the mountains much after February. The weather will be warm and the pistes should still be in good condition and spring like.

Snow socks or chains will be fine, this late in the season you'll most likely not need them but if you do it'll most likely be for the last few Km's up the mountain, we have winter tyres but from looking at other peoples tyres in the car parks (strange past time I know) most don't and use chains/socks if required. The road is kept as clear as possible and there are plenty of places to pull in and put chains on.

Arc 2000 underground car park is 1.83m there is an outside car park that you can use. If you want to park undercover drop your stuff off in 2000 then drive the short distance down to Arc 1950, their car park it is over 2m and easily fits the Cali. You can book a spot in here in advance. You then use the Cabriolet lift to get up to Arc 2000.

We always do a shop in BSM Super U and fill up with diesel here too just to make sure we have no problems with freezing and diesel.

Buy your ski pass their, there is no benefit to buying in advance, they have Classic, Essential and Premium. If you are going to stay in Les Arcs the classic will be fine and is the cheapest. If you want to use the que jump and ski in La Plagne get the Essential. To get to La Plagne you have to ski over to Peisey and get the Vanoise Express over then take the lifts up to the Roche De Mio, this is a long way from Arc 2000 in distance and time and you have to get back at the end of the day so maybe not worth it.

If you are renting equipment, we use Precission Ski, register with them and they send you discount codes, should get ski’s and boots for a family of four for less than €200 for the week.

Hope this is useful. Any other questions just ask.

Last edited:
Back