Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to drive to the Alps?

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
How do I drive to the Alps? Any tips welcome.

I am desperate to ski after not going for ten years and had a great package lined up but it sold out yesterday. After a complete scramble I managed to book the accommodation we wanted. But no flights or transfers.

My friends family is going to the same place and planning on driving. I wouldn’t normally consider this if the flights and 3 1/2 hr transfer weren’t incredibly expensive.

Our new electric i3 won’t be going so California it will have to be.

700 miles, 11 hours. I’m working the day before but I am guessing setting off and getting through the tunnel and maybe get a few hours done that night would be good. We live in London.

700 miles about £350 of diesel?
What might tolls be?

On our summer holidays I don’t like doing more than 4 hours! The kids are 10 and 14.

Can 4 of us and a fair bit of skiing luggage realistically sleep at an aire? At Easter? Roof up? Is that safe? Would a very late check-in hotel be better!?

How do I drive up the Alps to 2000 metres? Snow chains required?

I then have to see where I can park a 2 metre vehicle. The apartment has parking but I’m guessing 2m might be a problem. There might be a place further down the mountain to park and then get a lift up.

I know it’s possible but I’m surprised I’m considering it. All tips appreciated. Particularly suggestions for somewhere to sleep along the way.

Last edited:
i did it once. i took the overnight ferry from Hull so slept on the boat after a few vessels. then did the drive the next day to zugspitse in the alps in one hit using the very fast autobahns. 700 mile shouldn't be £350 of diesel should it ? more like £150 ?

I am desperate to ski after not going for ten years and had a great package lined up but it sold out yesterday. After a complete scramble I managed to book the accommodation we wanted. But no flights or transfers.

My friends family is going to the same place and planning on driving. I wouldn’t normally consider this if the flights and 3 1/2 hr transfer weren’t incredibly expensive.

700 miles, 11 hours. I’m working the day before but I am guessing setting off and getting through the tunnel and maybe get a few hours done that night would be good. We live in London.

What might tolls be?

On our summer holidays I don’t like doing more than 4 hours! The kids are 10 and 14.

Can 4 of us and a fair bit of skiing luggage realistically sleep at an aire? At Easter? Roof up? Is that safe? Would a very late check-in hotel be better!?

I then have to see where I can park a 2 metre vehicle. The apartment has parking but I’m guessing 2m might be a problem. There might be a place further down the mountain to park and then get a lift up.

I know it’s possible but I’m surprised I’m considering it. All tips appreciated. Particularly suggestions for somewhere to sleep along the way.
I can't help you with the route much, though I have ferried to France and driven down to Bourg for ski trips years ago; but at around 35mpg, with a gallon costing around £6.75, it will cost you around £135, much less than two full tanks.

Good luck and enjoy those carved turns on fab snow this year for most resorts I believe.

I’ve done it a few times. It’s 12hrs-ish from my house (Warwickshire )to Chamonix.
I prefer the van packed, early start. Leave about 3:30am straight to the tunnel, over on flexiplus and straight down the tolls to the Alps. It’s better if two can drive.
One drives, the other takes time out and watches a movie etc.

I’m off again, next week. But decided to fly as it’s a long drive for a weekend break. But there’s definitely some merits to driving.

The California sits nice at 82mph on those toll roads . The miles soon pass :thumb

I’m not that worried about my mpg. More sliding off a mountain! But my T5 often only gets 25mpg when I start nudging 80mph.

Just booked at car park with 230cm height. So it looks like I’m doing it.

Any sleeping suggestions? Half way overnight stops? Any specific places where you can check in at midnight? Do they exist?

I’m not that worried about my mpg. More sliding off a mountain! But my T5 often only gets 25mpg when I start nudging 80mph.

Any sleeping suggestions? Half way overnight stops? Any specific places where you can check in at midnight? Do they exist?

I prefer the early start and drive straight through.
Last year, we went the night before. Made the crossing that night to France, drove for an hour and pulled off the toll to a small town and slept in a supermarket carpark. Wasn’t the best nights sleep truth be told. Ended up being woken at 5:30am and continued driving all the way to the Alps. I think that was more tiring.

Return leg, I like to get off the mountain and start the drive. Stop mid way France for the night. Either aire or cheap hotel. Then the drive back is half complete and takes the sting out of the trip home.

I don’t mind the long drive going, as I’m excited to get to the mountains. Can’t say I have the same feelings about driving home.

Where in the alps are you going? We’ve done it a few times with the kids and stopped en route in a formula 1 type ‘hotel’ - travelling from south wales. I always aimed to get south of Dijon (usually Macon - couple of cheap n shabby hotels there just off A6). We went to Meribel and always parked on the roads near our cabin. The roads were cleared regularly and easy to navigate, but you might have to carry snow-chains or have ‘Three Peak Mountain Snowflake’ tyres to be legal (check with where you’re going). I think it cost about €80 each way tolls (couple of years ago). Personally wouldn’t sleep in the van - just too much stuff - you can then enjoy packing all the extra ski stuff you need. I loved driving it added excitement to the trip.

Last edited:
I have done it several times in the past, never in the Cali. I would say, with regard snow socks/snow chains/all season or snow tyres needs more thought. We have always gone down the snow tyre route and have never had a problem.
Last time the police had a checkpoint half way up the mointain where you needed chains or snow tyres to pass. I don't know if all season would be OK. On the way back in the early hours of the morning, it was frozen compacted snow. Somebody had just installed their chains, it sounded like a machine gun coming down the road. Don't think it would do your tyres, suspension or fillings any good.
I would recommend minimum, all season tyres and chains for emergencies, if you don't want full snow tyres on a spare set of rims.
My 2 Ford's have Goodyear vector4season and Michelin cross climate, they both have the 3 peak M+S
Does anybody know if the snow police would be happy with them?

We drove down to Morzine just before Chistmas. Although I am sure it can be done in one hop we decided to stop on the way down so as to arrive, reasonably, fresh. We found a good place to stop north of Troys in the Village of Carmont-sous-Barbuise. It's about four hours from Calais and is just off the A26. You can stop in the area just north of the church for free. We had the place to ourselves and parked at the eastern end. There were just the two of us so didn't put the top up, but would have been happy to do so.

On the motorways we were probably getting 35 mpg. SANEF have an excellent site which will calculate your toll charges for you. You will be ' Car Class I '
https://www.autoroutes.sanef.com/en/my-journey/price-of-my-journey

The VW handbook advises using chains only on tyres; 205/65 R16, 215/65 R16 and 215/60 R17. AutoSocks are an accepted substite for chains. We have 235/55 R17 CrossClimate tyres which qualify as a winter tyre but also took AutoSocks in the hope that they would help if we got stuck in a car park.

Have fun

Great for you to do so! Maybe next year - perhaps New Year's Eve - we’ll be in the snow and this will then most likely be the Alps. I'm 'only' from Bruges, Belgium, but still: it's also a fair ride. So: good of you! Have fun!
To spend the night on the road and where you can arrive at night: Camping-CAR Park. https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/ Make sure you apply for a membership card beforehand (5 euros) and put some money on it. If you have not received the card before your departure, this is not a problem: you will receive a confirmation email with a membership number beforehand. You can also take the card on the spot, but this is a bit cumbersome and doing it there at night on a pole at the entrance is not very opportune.
It is however a well-functioning system. There is a map, a website and an app: all very easy to use, self-explanatory. One can choose a stopover with a toilet and shower or a rudimentary Car Park. A tip: maybe bring your own toilet when pitching in one without toilets or where the toilet is closed due to the winter months; there may be checks and it is not worth having to explain that you are self-sufficient just like another, larger camper. May I hereby promote my post about toilets again? ;) It took me some time to create the post and the more who can enjoy it and perhaps be helped by it in making choices or even learn something from it, the better. Thank you.
Thread 'Environmentally friendly camping toilets: an article.'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/environmentally-friendly-camping-toilets-an-article.52373/

Last edited:
This seemed good advice. Wondering about getting some of the snow ladders. My T5 is not 4WD.

I’m also thinking Troyes is indeed a great mid point to stop.

Last edited:

What might tolls be?

You can calculate your route & cost on Via Michelin, here: https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
Also Fuel prices here: https://www.fuelflash.eu/en/?land=fr&suchfeld=dunkirk&entfernung=10&sorte=diesel&sortierung=preis

What might tolls be?

Where in the Alps are you going to?

I havn't driven down to the alps for about 5 years so not too up to date, I have driven off and on for about 30 years and love it, although now getting older, my night vision is not so good, it makes it more tiring. As was mentioned where abouts are you going? it makes a difference, since the channel tunnel was built we try to catch the earliest shuttle as we can, then drive as long as we can stand, usually try to get past Dijon, then just crash in an aire/services try to pick one with toilets open, be prepared to move to the next if not nice toilets, (yes the basic ones still have squatters), any females in the group will thank you! don't worry there are lots more on french motorways than UK you wont need to drive more than 30 miles normally, a good aire will also have many other people like yourself crashed in their cars on the way to the Alps, lots of skis/boards on roofs. sleep 3 or four hours, or when you wake up! and go on, do share the driving.
If going to the resorts around Les Gets head for Geneve, if towards Albertville/ Isere valley go via Lyon,
traffic will be ok in the afternoon when you get there, but coming home if above Albertville, traffic is an absolute nightmare! even going down the mountain from the resorts, never mind the valley road! We always waited till lunchtime, if you have your own gear just buy a morning pass, otherwise try something new! boarding, mono ski, or if a boarder try skis, learner slopes are usually free. have lunch then leave, more fun than sitting in stop start traffic, and you dont lose much time if traffic is bad. Around Les Gets not as busy, but still nice to stay till lunch, Saturday is usually quiet, as it is changeover day and only locals around and they can be very fussy about snow conditions.
Make sure your insurance green card is sorted and breakdown cover, wave a credit/debit card at the toll booth machines works well enough, but have several ways of paying for fuel as we sometimes have a card refused that worked in another petrol station.
Snow chains, soks or winter tires are a legal requirement, used to be able to hire them, if it is snowing going up to resort, at busy times the local Gendarmes will set up checkpoints to make you put them on, if you havn't got them, they will send you back down, if fed up, they might give you a fine! Remember to turn your traction control off, it makes a huge difference when on hardpack snow.
As mentioned Michelin website does a good Route plan.
Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble!
Go for It, it's an adventure!

If you use the tunnel, make sure it's flexiplus (somebody mentioned it earlier). When we used to booked through peak retreats, flexiplus was included, so not sure how much more it is booking direct. You have a date and time but can turn up earlier or later and get on.

The video above sums it up well.
The problem with chains and socks is when do you put them on, if they are installed to summer tyres you are going to have to use them most of the time. If you have 3 peak all season tyres you probably won't even get the chains out. If you do get the chains practice installing them at home. So many people are reading the instructions on the side of the road in the snow.
My next purchase will be some cross climates, couldn't bring myself to do it this year as the Cali only has 3000 miles on the clock and was not planning on using it this winter.

We pretty much always drive. It’s a long slog home but on the way there it’s almost fun.

French motorways are so relaxing compared to the uk you can really cover some miles.

Take plenty hot water and coffee for drinks on the go.

Loads of snacks and nice food, sandwiches and we did porridge pots for breakfast on the train which worked well for kids.

We leave early about 5 for a 8am tunnel. Then we generally stop off on the way down about three hours from the mountains at a hotel.

We got back last week, and this year we drove home in one hit due to schedule, it’s doable but it’s a long day for us back to north Essex. We left 8am french time and arrived home 21:40 uk time. We stop in aires and rotated drivers, we were self sufficient having bought most of the croissants and bread in the resort.

Route, we follow google, but it’s pretty easy. Reims, dijon etc. we’ve stopped at Reims on the way home before. It’s a nice place.

Flex plus, never done it. It’s bloody expensive, you already get fleeced for having a camper van so I don’t want to pay any more. You often get on an earlier train if you are there in good time anyway.

Tolls, not too bad. Maybe €150-200 return. Haven’t added it.

Fuel we did 1400 miles. 3 tanks ish, try and fuel up in small towns if you stop over. The French motorway services are much more expensive. So approx. €300

This was the first year I’ve had cross climates and the snow was really coming down just before departure home, it was good to have them. The roads were clear, so summer tyres would have probably been ok but it does ease your mind a bit. I’ve also got snow socks, as chains will not fit supposedly. We were 6 in our beach and loaded up, it’s a lot of mass to stop and steer I always think.

Cross climates felt super, grippy, compliant and quiet.

Snow chains, tricky to fit. I figure with socks I might actually be able to fit them on the road side.

I’ve flown and driven and I think I prefer to drive, i hate airport check in and those transfers are usually horrid, we’ve had throwing up kids more than once.

It’s nice to have your car there and pack all your stuff in easy. We get stuff in easy with 6 in our beach. Vac pac bags for ski gear work really well.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Only posted this morning and already some great ideas.

I concur, I had Michelin CC on my old California and they were superb in the snow. Also had the snow socks as a backup but never needed them. Left them in the Cali permanently.
I think I still have them in a cupboard somewhere.

I do prefer driving, flying is a PITA, and only a few hours quicker on most occasions.
I remember one year, our friends beat us back from the 3 valleys. We had flight delays getting out of Chambery. The car won the race home that day…

We have been driving to the French Alps for the past 25 years. We catch the tunnel circa 9:00pm on the Friday night. We drive through the night, arriving in resort approx. 9:00am on the Saturday - This only works if two people share the driving. The children always slept during the journey. After a nice breakfast, the mountain air soon removed any tiredness and allowed us to ski on the Saturday.
This method is common practice for many skiers, there is quite a community who bump into each other at the service stations throughout the night!!

I drive to the alps 5 or 6 times a year.

We leave the midlands at around 5am and get to Morzine about 13 hours later.

We share the driving in 2 to 3 hour shifts.

The whole experience is so surreal that your mind forgets all about it the next day.

We don’t tend to rag the VW as much as our regular car, so time is more 13+ hours.

It’s much easier than you could possibly imagine.

We're just south of London and have spun out to ski with the kids. Pulled over in a service area 2/3 of the way there, 3 upstairs and two downstairs on the dropped bench with seats swivelled. Left all kit packed at the back. Sleeping bags and 5 hours kip. It was fine. We have X climates and chains for 16" rims. You'd be welcome to borrow the chains if they'd fit your steed. The journey's fine.

Back