Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alps in the summer?

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello all, looking for a little advice on visiting alps in our Beach in the summer. 2 kids plus potentially dog.

We were going to do Cornwall again but we’ve really done a lot of that.

Any tips or travelling with a dog? She’s only 6 months. Good in the car though. No issues there. We’d need to get passport etc for her .

Any tips or ideas on where to go? We’ve skied in the French alps a fair bit and always drove. Never been in summer.

We usually camp on campsites. Not really done wild camping as such.

Thanks for any suggestions! Would be peak august obviously. So probably busy. But so are most places in peak august!

We would obviously avoid august if we could but with kids not possible.

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anywhere in the alps is gorgeous in summer.
Annecy is great, vanoise is stunning, you can’t really go wrong just visiting some of the towns near your favourite ski places.

Some ski resorts can be ghost towns in summer eg Samoens 1600 , check websites first.

If you want to venture a little further into Italy that’s easy too, everything is cheaper there except campsites, especially near the lakes. Book campsites advance though.

Hello all, looking for a little advice on visiting alps in our Beach in the summer. 2 kids plus potentially dog.

Any tips or travelling with a dog? She’s only 6 months. Good in the car though. No issues there. We’d need to get passport etc for her .

Any tips or ideas on where to go? We’ve skied in the French alps a fair bit and always drove. Never been in summer.

Thanks for any suggestions! Would be peak august obviously. So probably busy. But so are most places in peak august!

N.

Hi, what did you decide out of interest - just looking at doing the same! :)

I’d look into the dog thing soon. You may find the necessary rabies jab needs a few months before you’re allowed to travel.

Ive been going here, to this lovely campsite, for about 40 years. Love it:

7556031.jpg

I go not to the open field, but through the woods to a spot near the river. There pony riding for kids and a tree adventure thing hidden in the woods.

AJFCJaVkdbdT2S8gjSJjbQBKBlYIme2OhyKy2ZItJcvNmWjXrh798laqNXDW9OMCYcBA_aSt17p5Qd4M-NKtW5U8Ae_6tAQ8XL09EkNz8gZlacMHtfeR-mD5eM6YgXVVMfN8PcGl1PFyNAXtZa2iLfg9R8eGu_qHQlEpb6xVgeg2LPHkd-eiOkyvgt_OTwL6i5gBJc7HOx6O6WQ6Ji7yHdgDRcXd5Y6vVdQWhpa9i8E8WUeUcxiRklbsmez_OMlJpQgQo3M_GJeggum43vXP8yKRm3Di2pzqCuS9V6pPO7m7ortbwE5Vdhhv50tedOd4ZHlePRAMGGJ6w8Sm8Huk_w7RENT2YPP4miR8Suy2gSnGiXFT5mlsGC7qqdxzLXUogYr1_zBz1FwNUY-mBeAoqIgudA1RbOdIsCIGgNkEpywlm0mjKIn5pNvQSggrLlNSpvkO4ta6_hqqmuboUNpi-7HwI55YQiXlCK-tmF4N4Rz1EsdTFJEGhBWIbVLyHxyvdFH_B3M9pGZm9TF27EpcUHhHOea3q3e_PbXa_Ij9Vja6jvlGTlL8uOF1xWr7dqi0oUDdAgwzVAovvUE0kRqNhJM_03azpdWodQfbr7mvtUzQIbMSTE3icAExxsQnbBUKKIAKu3qJvbhaTUAy85fYBkmcobWCHQEylwBILlj73siYpqWLVja_-NsOlyOmIyJA5u1XgDBdWdTB_KLnBLxJoMTs5FY36rrAopm-KajpqQ7Afyu4lb7YpH3KaP37l59vPueOtNjFTXtO5wPLT5Ms44ojhvHzXM0ISSMr5e0jzzLNfgn1YCP-ajanQHpbtZC9RfCso8msrmk7Tug19bqNWn5BeWV1xLiz87T_sDjstplyABTlCsJU1_5iMXc1ONNLdPQLAnX20T5_uZuo9Qpk43IgllP5am5JmeI8OTfPNhKjCFxrh31LP9xv0wNFnlmotCg=w803-h1428-s-no

Are midges/horseflies an issue in the Alps? I'd be very wary of visiting the Highlands in summer for being constantly battling insect life - are the Alps better?

the alps is much better. basically not an issue. there are some mosquitos at dusk, but not many at that altitude, easy to avoid. occasional horsefly, but again, i've never been bitten by one. there are some biting ants around, but they are more like a stinging nettle.

If you walk up a little higher, then there are not many of anything other than flowers: not many people, no biting things, just lovely views. This place where you can eat and sleep is just above the campsite. (i say 'just', you have to walk up a punishing hill for two hours to get there)

1688122422131.jpeg

I’d look into the dog thing soon. You may find the necessary rabies jab needs a few months before you’re allowed to travel.
Ah sorry i wasn’t clear - we have the beach and the kids but no dog! :)

Ive been going here, to this lovely campsite, for about 40 years. Love it:

7556031.jpg

I go not to the open field, but through the woods to a spot near the river. There pony riding for kids and a tree adventure thing hidden in the woods.

AJFCJaVkdbdT2S8gjSJjbQBKBlYIme2OhyKy2ZItJcvNmWjXrh798laqNXDW9OMCYcBA_aSt17p5Qd4M-NKtW5U8Ae_6tAQ8XL09EkNz8gZlacMHtfeR-mD5eM6YgXVVMfN8PcGl1PFyNAXtZa2iLfg9R8eGu_qHQlEpb6xVgeg2LPHkd-eiOkyvgt_OTwL6i5gBJc7HOx6O6WQ6Ji7yHdgDRcXd5Y6vVdQWhpa9i8E8WUeUcxiRklbsmez_OMlJpQgQo3M_GJeggum43vXP8yKRm3Di2pzqCuS9V6pPO7m7ortbwE5Vdhhv50tedOd4ZHlePRAMGGJ6w8Sm8Huk_w7RENT2YPP4miR8Suy2gSnGiXFT5mlsGC7qqdxzLXUogYr1_zBz1FwNUY-mBeAoqIgudA1RbOdIsCIGgNkEpywlm0mjKIn5pNvQSggrLlNSpvkO4ta6_hqqmuboUNpi-7HwI55YQiXlCK-tmF4N4Rz1EsdTFJEGhBWIbVLyHxyvdFH_B3M9pGZm9TF27EpcUHhHOea3q3e_PbXa_Ij9Vja6jvlGTlL8uOF1xWr7dqi0oUDdAgwzVAovvUE0kRqNhJM_03azpdWodQfbr7mvtUzQIbMSTE3icAExxsQnbBUKKIAKu3qJvbhaTUAy85fYBkmcobWCHQEylwBILlj73siYpqWLVja_-NsOlyOmIyJA5u1XgDBdWdTB_KLnBLxJoMTs5FY36rrAopm-KajpqQ7Afyu4lb7YpH3KaP37l59vPueOtNjFTXtO5wPLT5Ms44ojhvHzXM0ISSMr5e0jzzLNfgn1YCP-ajanQHpbtZC9RfCso8msrmk7Tug19bqNWn5BeWV1xLiz87T_sDjstplyABTlCsJU1_5iMXc1ONNLdPQLAnX20T5_uZuo9Qpk43IgllP5am5JmeI8OTfPNhKjCFxrh31LP9xv0wNFnlmotCg=w803-h1428-s-no
This looks perfect thank you!

N.

We are currently on way back from a holiday at Annecy. A couple plus a dog. Things to know re the dog, you will need rabies jab plus pet passport before you travel, check the timescales needed for these carefully. You will also need tapeworm tablet to be given by a vet before re-entering the UK. We have had this done in Brugge today (43 euros). It was a long drive down to the Alps which we broke up with various Aires stops and a night in Troyes (stopped at Ibis Troyes centre for one night). In Annecy we stayed at Le Lac Bleu which is actually closer to Doussard and a 30 drive to Annecy centre. But very dog and child friendly and has a beach where all can have a swim, we loved it. This has been our first trip to France and our dog has been welcomed and made a fuss of wherever we have been. We stopped at Reims on way back for a night followed by 2 nights in Brugge at Camping Memling which was recommended by various people on the site.

We are currently on way back from a holiday at Annecy. A couple plus a dog. Things to know re the dog, you will need rabies jab plus pet passport before you travel, check the timescales needed for these carefully. You will also need tapeworm tablet to be given by a vet before re-entering the UK. We have had this done in Brugge today (43 euros). It was a long drive down to the Alps which we broke up with various Aires stops and a night in Troyes (stopped at Ibis Troyes centre for one night). In Annecy we stayed at Le Lac Bleu which is actually closer to Doussard and a 30 drive to Annecy centre. But very dog and child friendly and has a beach where all can have a swim, we loved it. This has been our first trip to France and our dog has been welcomed and made a fuss of wherever we have been. We stopped at Reims on way back for a night followed by 2 nights in Brugge at Camping Memling which was recommended by various people on the site.
Just for the record, the vet in Brugge was a -****** as I normally get charged less than 5 euro by my vet in Slovenia for the echincocxus tablet and passport stamp

Just for the record, the vet in Brugge was a -****** as I normally get charged less than 5 euro by my vet in Slovenia for the echincocxus tablet and passport stamp
Thanks, will look for a cheaper vet next time!

Back