Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hoping to be a newbie owner soon!

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I just thought I ought to say hello and introduce myself. I am hoping to become a California SE owner in the next few weeks/months and have found this forum really useful already, especially the dog threads! I will be accompanied in the Cali by my four girls who are already seasoned caravaners, so are sure to enjoy being camper-dogs too. When I find my Cali she will be my everyday commute vehicle too so I am interested to hear other people's experiences of this.

I will hopefully be using the forum a lot more in the not-too-distant future :D

Maud

Hi Maud welcome. Happy hunting :thumb

Welcome to the forum and you'll find loads of people use them as everyday cars and not just for camping and washing ... :bananadance

Thank you for the welcome! It's good to hear that others are using (and enjoying) their Californias as their everyday vehicle too :thumb

:thanks

Hi Maud,

We're recent new owners and ours is our everyday drive. Actually not much bigger than a large saloon, but we have parking sensors and rear camera. The former I think are standard but I'd say essential at the back. Great, comfy driving position make it easy to use as a daily driver.

Good luck with your search
Mark

Hi Maud. Had mine a few weeks now, and it's also my everyday vehicle, but I dont need to use it everyday though. It's a lovely thing to drive, easy to park. I chose parking sensors on the rear, that's all I feel I needed. Definitely get sensors if it doesn't already have them. Can't wait to see your new Cali, and you are going to love it like we all love ours!! :D

Hi Dod4luce and Holliers :hello

It's great to hear from new owners who are enjoying their Calis to drive - and especially finding them easy enough to park! Having seen but never driven a Cali before, I went for a test drive in a 180 DSG yesterday and I absolutely loved it. I was a little nervous getting into the driver's seat as I'm not used to an auto and I was driving it in the city in lots of traffic - out of my comfort zone in this city-free county! However, it was so easy to drive, relaxed, comfortable, brilliant mirrors and didn't feel big on the road at all, or when 'parking' back at the dealership. I think I will love it as a daily drive :D I think I may have to wait a while to find the right one though; I might have to miss this summer (have the caravan anyway) and see if more become available in the autumn. I will keep looking though, in case my perfect Cali comes up for sale and then I will be able to share photos on here too.

:thanks
Maud

Hi Maud.
Mine's a 180 DSG, was the only one available at my local dealers, unless I waited until August!!! I would have taken a manual if they had had one, but I quite like an auto in stop start traffic, they are a really relaxing drive all round. Been getting good MPG out of it so far, averaging about 36-38 mpg according to the display. I really hope you decide to get one at some point, you will just love it. I am totally in awe of mine. Trouble is I keep buying her things.......burning a hole in my wallet!! Let us know when you get one. This forum was such a help when I decided on one. Found all the info. Keep us posted Maud. :D :D

I can completely understand what you mean about buying your Cali things, Dod4luce - I am itching to buy (plates, folding kettle, Khyam awning) and make things (cushions, throws...) for mine already and I don't even have her yet (and I have a name for her too :lol: ). It sounds like you are getting really good mpg from your DSG. I would quite like to get an auto if one comes up that I can afford, but it will be the older tiptronic on the 2.5l engine so I'm not sure what the mpg will be like on that. I wouldn't mind a manual either though and I think I need to keep an open mind as there are so few coming onto the used market in my price range. :sad Doesn't stop me getting excited though, and the longer I have to wait the more I can save.

I will keep you updated as and when I find my Cali! :D

Maud

Great to hear Maud. I am looking forward to the day when you finally have your Cali. I hope to take mine to the Busfest in Malvern later this year, Should be a great event, with an overdose of VWs old and new! Looking forward to that!! :D :D

Hi, I just thought I ought to say hello and introduce myself. I am hoping to become a California SE owner in the next few weeks/months and have found this forum really useful already, especially the dog threads! I will be accompanied in the Cali by my four girls who are already seasoned caravaners, so are sure to enjoy being camper-dogs too. When I find my Cali she will be my everyday commute vehicle too so I am interested to hear other people's experiences of this.

I will hopefully be using the forum a lot more in the not-too-distant future :D

Maud
Hi.
Just got myself one too and hoping my labradoodle will enjoy camping with her mum - any hints and tips would be appreciated