Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Australia

A

andrewchalk

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a California once they are available in Australia in early 2021.

VW Australia sold an initial run of 30 in June for delivery before Christmas within hours. The original intention was for them to become generally available in ~August 2021. VW deemed demand sufficient to bring that timeline forward by 1 year to now!

(For now) we will only be getting a cut down version of the Beach, without any kitchen at all. https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/california.html

Having said that, this is just what my wife and I have been looking for, exciting times ahead.

--Andrewchalk

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a California once they are available in Australia in early 2021.

VW Australia sold an initial run of 30 in June for delivery before Christmas within hours. The original intention was for them to become generally available in ~August 2021. VW deemed demand sufficient to bring that timeline forward by 1 year to now!

(For now) we will only be getting a cut down version of the Beach, without any kitchen at all. https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/california.html

Having said that, this is just what my wife and I have been looking for, exciting times ahead.

--Andrewchalk
That’s great to hear. Definitely exciting times ahead. You say stripped down beach but you can get a 4Motion Beach. That option that was not available in the U.K. when I bought my California. It makes for a very flexible go anywhere vehicle. Good luck.

Hi California4x4,

Point taken, and yes we are looking at one of the 4Motion models.

I read a post elsewhere on the forum where somebody got their FWD California bogged on some wet grass. That doesn't sound like a fun morning. You don't need 4Motion - until that time that you do. :D

--Andrewchalk

Add a few options and you are over £60k for a Beach...But then imported vehicles are much more expensive in Oz compared to Europe. I can imagine that would put the price of the California Ocean over £70k..unless they make a completely different model for export to Oz.

Deposit recently paid for a Beach, with a delivery estimate of end March 2021. The VW Australia website says they are sold out until June 2021!

I asked VW if they had any intentions of releasing the Coast or Ocean in Australia, but they said they didn't due to the sliding door being on the road side rather than the footpath side.

Welcome Andrew
Good to hear you got one of the next „release“ batch! I can only imagine how wonderful it is to drive a California or any other camper in your country and guess it offers so many different spots and opportunities to camp in beautiful places!
Look forward to read about your adventures!

Deposit recently paid for a Beach, with a delivery estimate of end March 2021. The VW Australia website says they are sold out until June 2021!

I asked VW if they had any intentions of releasing the Coast or Ocean in Australia, but they said they didn't due to the sliding door being on the road side rather than the footpath side.
So what side is the sliding door on , on the Beach, that you are buying. According to the VW Australia site it is also on the " wrong " side.
From VW Australia site.
cali-couple-wind-surfing_resized.jpg

So what side is the sliding door on , on the Beach, that you are buying. According to the VW Australia site it is also on the " wrong " side.
From VW Australia site.
View attachment 67177
Same issue in the UK.

I was told by VW that they only make California's with the door on the 'wrong side'. Because the German factory only buy in 'European' LH spec vans for conversion.

I guess this is partly about not having the tooling for the various California add-on bit of trim for the UK and Australian markets.

Maybe they are only selling Beach Tour, with the sliders on each side? Images are bound to be stock ones for all markets.