Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aussie Greetings - Cali Intro

Aussie Cali

Aussie Cali

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Greetings all

Morné (Mornay) here from Sydney, Australia (Downunder)

The California Beach was introduced in June last year with online only allocation of 30, followed by a second 30 in August with 6-8 month deliveries, COVID dependant. Only the Beach (two sliding doors) derivative is sold in Australia due to local compliance laws not permitting left (passenger side exit - road safety). so no Coast or Ocean models.

As we reckon there will be little to no unrestricted international travel for the next 2-3yrs, we may as well see a bit of the land we live in. Being My wife, two teenage daughter and me.

We took delivery of our Cali on the 8th of January 2021, and took her to the Hunter Region 2.5hrs North of Sydney, this past weekend to test all the gear and bits.

Spec. 7 Speed DSG, 4 Motion, TDI 340, with main options including; Differential Lock and Hill Decent Control

Overall very happy, will look to instal a second Thule Omnistor 5102 (custom to VW) on the passengers side (Left)

I've attached a few pics of our first outing and setup

Cheers
Morné

DJI_0308.JPG

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

:welcome And thanks for sharing some pics of a Beach. Very exciting to see that. Hope you had a great weekend and look forward to seeing more pics whilst awaiting my Beach.

:cheers :welcome My Uncle lives in Perth, Mr Bodel of Irish heritage !
Cycles his bike 40 miles a day. At age 75+ !!!!

Greetings all

Morné (Mornay) here from Sydney, Australia (Downunder)

The California Beach was introduced in June last year with online only allocation of 30, followed by a second 30 in August with 6-8 month deliveries, COVID dependant. Only the Beach (two sliding doors) derivative is sold in Australia due to local compliance laws not permitting left (passenger side exit - road safety). so no Coast or Ocean models.

As we reckon there will be little to no unrestricted international travel for the next 2-3yrs, we may as well see a bit of the land we live in. Being My wife, two teenage daughter and me.

We took delivery of our Cali on the 8th of January 2021, and took her to the Hunter Region 2.5hrs North of Sydney, this past weekend to test all the gear and bits.

Spec. 7 Speed DSG, 4 Motion, TDI 340, with main options including; Differential Lock and Hill Decent Control

Overall very happy, will look to instal a second Thule Omnistor 5102 (custom to VW) on the passengers side (Left)

I've attached a few pics of our first outing and setup

Cheers
Morné

View attachment 72173

View attachment 72174

View attachment 72175

View attachment 72176

View attachment 72177
Brilliant! What is a TDI 340? We've got 112hp, 150hp and the currently non-deliverable 199/204hp bi-turbo.

Brilliant! What is a TDI 340? We've got 112hp, 150hp and the currently non-deliverable 199/204hp bi-turbo.
Hi Alison,

Many thanks for the welcome.

I've attached both the Australian Brochure and an Extract.

Basically UK are marketing Kilowats and Australia Torque. Hence the 340 Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) is a 110kw and the TDI 450 a 146Kw, with the option of 4Motion and Differential Lock variants.

We had a 500kg payload. Max is 600kg for the Beach, which is more than the Coast and Ocean models. Both being heavier with Kitchen Units etc. With 4x passengers and all items weighed, we cam in at just under 500kgs, and she drove well.

Australia has the Turbo Charged 2L derivatives of the Beach, slightly up spec's from the UK, noting no option to the COAST or OCEAN. Up spec' like for example two tone colour, two sliding doors as standard, power lift roof etc.

I've highlighted the options we took.

Initially I was disappointed we didn't have the option of the Ocean with built in Kitchen, Basin, Fridge.

With that said, as a friend put it "do you really want to cook in your bedroom?", and you get the bonus of a 1.5m wide 3-seater bench/lower bed as opposed to 1.2 in the Coast and Ocean

As we like true off grid (no facilities or Cellular Connectivity), we have the following 3rd party accessories
1. Weber Baby Q
2. Joolca Nomad kit https://www.joolca.com.au/products/hottap-v2
3. Joolca Ensuite https://www.joolca.com.au/products/ensuite-tent-double
4. Portable Potti https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/portable-toilets/porta-potti-565e
5. Thule G3 Residence fo T6 VW Customer Omnistor 5102 https://hillviewawnings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_160
6. 200w Solar with MPPT (Important) Regulator https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ad...heDUdiOE4ZnkFn7nBLm2OkAHotmWOz5hoCPhIQAvD_BwE
7. Nanopresso (a must)
8. Dometic 95DZ (no second row, you have ample space for 3rd row bench passengers ) https://www.dometic.com/en-au/au/pr...eezers-and-coolers/dometic-cfx3-95dz-_-223503
9. 2x 22L Water Jerry Cans

Plus the usuals, folding spade, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, snake bite kit, mosquito lanterns (Thermacell), crockery, cutlery, head torches etc.

Attachments

• Australia_Volkswagen_California_6.1_Specs_Aug2020.pdf
    10.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 1.43.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 1.43.08 pm.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 11
apologies, I inadvertently replied to Alison on your question. Please see my reply to her (you)

:welcome Loving the double awning set up with the double sliding doors
Tell me more about your second awning please? Assume its the Thule Omnistor 5102 in same colour finish as one supplied with the Beach? Did VW do for you? or?? What about the brackets and rain shield. i.e. is it identical in appearance/installation as the original?

Many thanks in advance

that's awesome, go uncle
:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome
We know the Hunter Valley quite well as my son and daughter in law live in Miranda and we've spent a few weeks with them holidaying in the Valley. Hope to get back to Sydney when we're allowed, probably 2022 at the rate things are going.

Hi Alison,

Many thanks for the welcome.

I've attached both the Australian Brochure and an Extract.

Basically UK are marketing Kilowats and Australia Torque. Hence the 340 Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) is a 110kw and the TDI 450 a 146Kw, with the option of 4Motion and Differential Lock variants.

We had a 500kg payload. Max is 600kg for the Beach, which is more than the Coast and Ocean models. Both being heavier with Kitchen Units etc. With 4x passengers and all items weighed, we cam in at just under 500kgs, and she drove well.

Australia has the Turbo Charged 2L derivatives of the Beach, slightly up spec's from the UK, noting no option to the COAST or OCEAN. Up spec' like for example two tone colour, two sliding doors as standard, power lift roof etc.

I've highlighted the options we took.

Initially I was disappointed we didn't have the option of the Ocean with built in Kitchen, Basin, Fridge.

With that said, as a friend put it "do you really want to cook in your bedroom?", and you get the bonus of a 1.5m wide 3-seater bench/lower bed as opposed to 1.2 in the Coast and Ocean

As we like true off grid (no facilities or Cellular Connectivity), we have the following 3rd party accessories
1. Weber Baby Q
2. Joolca Nomad kit https://www.joolca.com.au/products/hottap-v2
3. Joolca Ensuite https://www.joolca.com.au/products/ensuite-tent-double
4. Portable Potti https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/portable-toilets/porta-potti-565e
5. Thule G3 Residence fo T6 VW Customer Omnistor 5102 https://hillviewawnings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_160
6. 200w Solar with MPPT (Important) Regulator https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ad...heDUdiOE4ZnkFn7nBLm2OkAHotmWOz5hoCPhIQAvD_BwE
7. Nanopresso (a must)
8. Dometic 95DZ (no second row, you have ample space for 3rd row bench passengers ) https://www.dometic.com/en-au/au/pr...eezers-and-coolers/dometic-cfx3-95dz-_-223503
9. 2x 22L Water Jerry Cans

Plus the usuals, folding spade, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, snake bite kit, mosquito lanterns (Thermacell), crockery, cutlery, head torches etc.
What the Joolca system like? We can get this in the UK. I know I don't *need* it, but it looks pretty cool! :)

This just goes to show if VW Australia can give a 5 year warranty then you would think that Europe could do the same. I wonder if the breakdown cover applies on the road up to ALICE...Enjoy your van...

This just goes to show if VW Australia can give a 5 year warranty then you would think that Europe could do the same. I wonder if the breakdown cover applies on the road up to ALICE...Enjoy your van...
They could to boost sales, but they don't have too with the present sales figures.

They could to boost sales, but they don't have too with the present sales figures.
But VW Australia are not doing it to boost sales. VW have been selling vehicles in Australia since the 50s the same as in Europe. If VW and all the other German manufacturers could get away with giving less they would.
If Asian manufacturers can give a 7 year warranty then why not VW, BMW. Mercedes & Audi? Is it they don’t have confidence in their products and the potential extra costs For longer warranties would be prohibitive.

What the Joolca system like? We can get this in the UK. I know I don't *need* it, but it looks pretty cool! :)
Hi Alison,

Put simply, it's awesome and can run from a Jerry can, fixed water supply or pumped from a stream/dam. the Joolca Nomad kit comes packed in a plastic tub which not only doubles up as a storage container formal your joolca bits, but also acts as a basin for easing dishes, with the lids clipping into the sides and becoming drying racks.

The Joolca HotTap itself runs off gas and has a battery operated Ignitor and self diagnosis LED (Pressure/Gas etc.). you can control flow (=water consumption) and temperature.

Theres nothing quite like a hot shower and washing dishes in hot water.

There service is pretty awesome to. Had a hiccup with the 12v pump, and theybwrere quick to respond and replace.

The other accessory is the double ensuite (dry/wet compartments). Dry compartment double up for a Portable loo). we do a lot of offered stuff

But VW Australia are not doing it to boost sales. VW have been selling vehicles in Australia since the 50s the same as in Europe. If VW and all the other German manufacturers could get away with giving less they would.
If Asian manufacturers can give a 7 year warranty then why not VW, BMW. Mercedes & Audi? Is it they don’t have confidence in their products and the potential extra costs For longer warranties would be prohibitive.
The California was only introduced in Australia in 2019/2020 . Up until then it was just Transporters.

I think it's about market conditions not confidence in the product breaking.

Whatever is included is paid for by the customer one way or another, is 3 years still the norm in the UK? (Think that's an EU thing). What is the norm in Oz?

I had 5 years warranty on my Volvo, and with 10 years free servicing, fantastic deal, and was a little disappointed to buy the Cali with only 3 years warranty and no free servicing. But VW didn't need to beat Volvo, and it didn't stop me from ordering.

I think it's about market conditions not confidence in the product breaking.

Whatever is included is paid for by the customer one way or another, is 3 years still the norm in the UK? (Think that's an EU thing). What is the norm in Oz?

I had 5 years warranty on my Volvo, and with 10 years free servicing, fantastic deal, and was a little disappointed to buy the Cali with only 3 years warranty and no free servicing. But VW didn't need to beat Volvo, and it didn't stop me from ordering.
I'm in Australia and it's pretty much standard for most manufacturers at various levels to give 3-5yrs these days. It's largely influenced by the local competitive environment per level and brand equity. A few like BMW, Audi and LandRover in the Luxury level rely on brand equity and only offer 3yrs as standard (said Marc defy's that and offers 5yrs/Unlimited Kms), with options to purchase extended warranties. VW, Toyota, Ford, Holden (Opel), Mitsubishi, Hyundai ... in the standard level all offer 5yrs/Unlimited Kms Warranty across their entire range. All Vans are 5yrs warranty.

All is influence by consumers specific to a given market and the mix that will yield the highest sales, lowest cost, best contribution margin.

as Two-Saabs said, depends who wants to beat who ;-)