Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC WiFi Router Connection Issue.

That is very helpful Hammer. It's been a stressful day really.trying to sort this out. The first EE technician last evening told me that it would be working an hour after SIM activation.
This morning, I turned the wifi/router on, on the control panel, logged in with admin successfully.
Chose all the settings previously mentioned, including secure, but no Internet connection!
I contacted EE again and spoke to another technician. He told.me.to try the SIM in the lower slot. I did as he said but got the SIM stuck in there.
I've only.just managed to get it out with a pin.
He was apologetic and agreed to send out a replacement new 120gb data SIM.
AND, that is where I'm up too. But I've got the SIM out. Phew!
I am getting a constant green light for power.
A constant blue light for antenna and a flashing Amber light every second for ? data transfer.

That is very helpful Hammer. It's been a stressful day really.trying to sort this out. The first EE technician last evening told me that it would be working an hour after SIM activation.
This morning, I turned the wifi/router on, on the control panel, logged in with admin successfully.
Chose all the settings previously mentioned, including secure, but no Internet connection!
I contacted EE again and spoke to another technician. He told.me.to try the SIM in the lower slot. I did as he said but got the SIM stuck in there.
I've only.just managed to get it out with a pin.
He was apologetic and agreed to send out a replacement new 120gb data SIM.
AND, that is where I'm up too. But I've got the SIM out. Phew!
I am getting a constant green light for power.
A constant blue light for antenna and a flashing Amber light every second for ? data transfer.
The complicating factory, inmy case is that I access wifi outside the dealership, but if I had not activated my SIM card then, how is that explained? Is it that I had inadvertently accessed a business park / industrial park wifi?
But, maybe that's irrelevant?

The complicating factory, inmy case is that I access wifi outside the dealership, but if I had not activated my SIM card then, how is that explained? Is it that I had inadvertently accessed a business park / industrial park wifi?
I'm just curious.

But, maybe that's irrelevant?
thinking more on this have you checked the antenna connection? This will stop the modem getting signal and VW seem to keep sending them out connected incorrectly. This might explain why you got it working at garage as might have very strong 4G signal there.

So first thing to do is push drivers seat fully forward and you will see back of router, in my picture below you will see 3 wires but you will only have 2 so ignore the green one on mine for now. Your cable on the left should be in the fair left connector as mine is but often from factory they come with it connected in the socket I have a green one coming out. If yours is not in the far left socket you will struggle to get connection. It's an easy fix if not a little fiddly but simply squeeze the plug and pull out then plug into far left side. For info in case you are wondering my additional green connector is a second antenna I have fitted to help with signal strength but really shouldn't be needed 90% of time so don't worry about that.

IMG_3843.jpeg

IMG_3844.jpeg

Thank you Hammer. I will look at this as a possibility. I am, however, assuming that the system is functioning satisfactorily, or would be if I have the settings inputted correctly. This is based on the fact that as far as I know, the previous owner was using it, as a Smarty SIM card outer was left in the paper booklet along with the white card with technical details on it.

Thanks, also for the explanation of connection whilst at and near to the dealership. VW say that it can't possibly log into their WiFi as its security password protected.

This is where my wire is connected. It looks like it's where your green one is.

20240413_130141.jpg

Yes this is incorrect and highly likely why your not getting a connection. its easy to move just not a lot of space. Might be easier to get garage to switch it for you
There is little space because of the grey plastic cover behind the seat. Perhaps if I could safely remove it, then I'd have easier access.

There is little space because of the grey plastic cover behind the seat. Perhaps if I could safely remove it, then I'd have easier access.
yes if you remove plastic cover it gives full access, just be careful removing as don't think clips are great and you don't want to break one. I have only removed once and was bit of fiddling around.

yes if you remove plastic cover it gives full access, just be careful removing as don't think clips are great and you don't want to break one. I have only removed once and was bit of fiddling around.
I have finally been able to get the campervan booked into the local garage, next week. I have spent too long trying to get it working.

I have a replacement data SIM, which has been activated and I will forward suggestions covered here to the vw garage.

I cannot thank enough the contributors here, who have taken so much time to help me. I admit defeat, but I am much further along the road than I was last week. Who knows, perhaps we will meet on a campsite somewhere, sometime, and I can thank you in person(s). Kind regards,

I had a problem with my wifi from new but is sorted now. Here is the thread. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-gc680-help-please.49394/

Problem 1 was that the cable was connected to the wrong port in the router - as per the comments above, a relatively easy fix.

Problem 2 was that the other end of the cable wasn’t connected to anything - the antenna box was missing. The box sits behind the panel above the sliding door. I had to identify that myself by taking off the panel (they didn‘t do that on the 1st visit to the dealers as they could get a signal from the antenna wire alone). They they then ordered and fitted the box on the second trip to the dealers and its all working fine now.

Happy to answer any related questions.

Many thanks. I now have a new activated EE Sim card. I am struggling with EE settings for user and password. The box titled user is automatically filled with eesecure, but the password is blank. I have tried admin and a new password which I created, but it's not accepting either. Any suggestions please?

The EE password is 'secure'

More inför here;

Hooray! I have managed to free the antenna cable and reconnect it to the left hand port....and I have wifi. Visit to the vw dealership cancelled. Many thanks for sticking with me!

20240416_132246.jpg

Hooray! I have managed to free the antenna cable and reconnect it to the left hand port....and I have wifi. Visit to the vw dealership cancelled. Many thanks for sticking with me!

View attachment 122053
I think you said there was a previous Owner. I wonder how he got on or did he give up?

Glad you managed to sort now you can sit back and enjoy your GC
I couldn't have achieved it without all of your advice!
A couple of last questions, if I may? Now that I've got WiFi, I would like to install my avtex smart tv. What type of bracket and position would you suggest and do I need an arial of some type? If so, assuming I do, would you recommend one to me please? Many thanks.

really sorry can’t help ref tv bracket as we just use ipads in van

Back