Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC WiFi Router Connection Issue.

I also think that your router has not connected to the SIM, as per instructions above. Mine was the same in that the devices are connected to the router, but until the router accepts the SIM, you do not get any internet.

I understand now. I think that is the explanation. I will restart the process of connecting my tablet to the router but enter the SIM card details in during the process. I don't recall doing this previously. I will let you know. Fingers crossed.

do you have a laptop? It may be easier using a laptop to get the router/sim configured. Then after it is set up, you can add your tablet, iPhone etc.

Yes, I have an elderly laptop, but it has connected previously to the router. I will try this first. Many thanks. I will try it this morning.

These instructions from @Hammer are what got me up and running:

You need to be connected to the VW van wifi and then type in the IP address dennfo has given. This will take you to the VW router page where you choose profile for sim card. Note you may have to go into admin and set up as follows:

Click Settings
Enter Admin password (its on the log in card you should have with wifi code etc
Click 4G/3G/2G tab
Find the APN data for sim card you have and enter in relevant boxes, normally its just APN, user and password thats needed and you leave rest,
Click save
wait for seconds and you should see bottom left connection info and signal strength.

I have now tried almost successfully to follow your precise instructions which have identified the problem.

The previous owner appears to have changed the password, admin, and, therefore, I can't access the router settings.

I have contacted the VW dealership in the hope that they can reset the password,.or failing that, I will ask for a new router.

Without all of the contributions here, I would never have sorted this out. I think you have cracked it for us, so many thanks again.

I will let the forum know what the outcome is, so that others may benefit from my frustrating experience.

If your GC is still under warranty from when you purchased it, surely they are obliged to get it sorted for you. Hope you get it sorted out

I have now tried almost successfully to follow your precise instructions which have identified the problem.

The previous owner appears to have changed the password, admin, and, therefore, I can't access the router settings.

I have contacted the VW dealership in the hope that they can reset the password,.or failing that, I will ask for a new router.

Without all of the contributions here, I would never have sorted this out. I think you have cracked it for us, so many thanks again.

I will let the forum know what the outcome is, so that others may benefit from my frustrating experience.
Does the Router have a Reset Button or a little hole normally on the back that you can push a paperclip in?

How to Reset a Router
  1. Keep your router plugged in.
  2. Find your router's reset button. This will be on the back or the bottom of your router.
  3. Use a paperclip to hold down the reset button for 30 seconds.
  4. Release the button.
  5. Wait for the router to power back on.

This will reset the router to the Factory setting and use the original Username and Password that should have come with the router/vehicle documentation.

If your GC is still under warranty from when you purchased it, surely they are obliged to get it sorted for you. Hope you get it sorted out
It is still under warranty until November. VW have sent me the e-manual for the router and have told me that I can reset the previous owners security myself. However, there is no drop down box under settings to allow me to reset it.

VW are looking into it. TBC

It is still under warranty until November. VW have sent me the e-manual for the router and have told me that I can reset the previous owners security myself. However, there is no drop down box under settings to allow me to reset it.

VW are looking into it. TBC
I've managed to reboot the unit. I've gotten into the settings page. But been unsuccessful. Entered the EE on the drop down list. But it says Searching network. Then Limited service.

Any further thoughts please?

I've managed to reboot the unit. I've gotten into the settings page. But been unsuccessful. Entered the EE on the drop down list. But it says Searching network. Then Limited service.

Any further thoughts please?
As CCC, then as a tester pop the SIM into a burner phone! Or your own To see if it’s active and working.

As CCC, then as a tester pop the SIM into a burner phone! Or your own To see if it’s active and working.
The EE SIM is a 50gbt data only. Apologies I'm getting on, and not very IT literate ( as you may have gathered).

you may need to enter APN info manually once you are logged into Admin go to APN page and enter info. just did quick google search and looks like APN info should be something like this for EE but note it may differ if from a EE reseller:

Profile name: EE Internet

APN: everywhere

Username: eesecure

Password: secure

you may need to enter APN info manually once you are logged into Admin go to APN page and enter info. just did quick google search and looks like APN info should be something like this for EE but note it may differ if from a EE reseller:

Profile name: EE Internet

APN: everywhere

Username: eesecure

Password: secure
Thank you for all your contributions! The EE tech man is confident that now I have activated the SIM card it will work. (There is 119.5 gbytes on the SIM, he says). The above guidance may also prove to be required too, if he is wrong. I'm hopeful. BUT it is time consuming (for you all too!) I will try tomorrow now, and update the forum. Thank you all, again.

Thank you for all your contributions! The EE tech man is confident that now I have activated the SIM card it will work. (There is 119.5 gbytes on the SIM, he says). The above guidance may also prove to be required too, if he is wrong. I'm hopeful. BUT it is time consuming (for you all too!) I will try tomorrow now, and update the forum. Thank you all, again.
We’ll get there!!!

Hi again, the saga continues.
Still no connection
Over to VW . I almost give up.

once the sim is in and you have turned on WI-FI in the touch screen your 3 lights should all be on with the blue one flickering. also if you log into the router and go to home page you will see if the network has connected as it will show as per this picture (you can see i am on Smarty and its showing 3G)

IMG_0009.png

bottom left of last picture shows the signal strength if you are getting very poor signal or no signal it could be the ariel is in the wrong plug as most seem to come from factory this way.

Back