Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC Handbrake problem, also noisy wipers.

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Just returned from a trip to Spain in our 72 reg GC680. Doing so many miles I have discovered a couple of annoying issues, wondering if others have experienced the same, and if there is a fix, DIY or dealer?

On a number of occasions the handbrake would refuse to release. When working normally (95% of the time) just raising it a little off the latch would release it, but on other occasions I was getting to the end of its travel before it would release. The worst time was on the Eurotunnel train, very stressful when unable to get it released! Luckily I was preparing for departure in advance, so didn't hold anyone up! I will mention to the dealer, but appreciate to find out if others have had the same issue.

The weather was atrocious in both directions through France, biblical wind and rain!! The wipers were so noisy, hour upon hour juddering on the windscreen, especially in lighter rain. The van had done less than 4000 miles entering France, so the condition of the blades should be ok, and the windscreen appears clean, without any apparent oil film. I know that twisting the arms so the blades flip flop correctly in each direction can reduce or cure the problem, but thought best to find out if it's just our van or if the issue is more common.
TIA
Regards
Don

Just returned from a trip to Spain in our 72 reg GC680. Doing so many miles I have discovered a couple of annoying issues, wondering if others have experienced the same, and if there is a fix, DIY or dealer?

On a number of occasions the handbrake would refuse to release. When working normally (95% of the time) just raising it a little off the latch would release it, but on other occasions I was getting to the end of its travel before it would release. The worst time was on the Eurotunnel train, very stressful when unable to get it released! Luckily I was preparing for departure in advance, so didn't hold anyone up! I will mention to the dealer, but appreciate to find out if others have had the same issue.

The weather was atrocious in both directions through France, biblical wind and rain!! The wipers were so noisy, hour upon hour juddering on the windscreen, especially in lighter rain. The van had done less than 4000 miles entering France, so the condition of the blades should be ok, and the windscreen appears clean, without any apparent oil film. I know that twisting the arms so the blades flip flop correctly in each direction can reduce or cure the problem, but thought best to find out if it's just our van or if the issue is more common.
TIA
Regards
Don
Can’t help with the handbrake issue but the wiper blades, I changed to the Bosch Aero Twin, they are silent in operation.

the Oem ones are inferior​

Also, the blades may have suffered through the previous winter etc, frozen on the windscreen blah blah. I have Lucas blades on my GC680 and are silent (it’s a 19 plate too). No issues that I’ve noticed my our handbrake.

I agree with Jester - Bosch Aerotwin Plus blades (28U and 26U) have been an excellent upgrade. The judder and noise from the original ones was horrendous.

As for the handbrake - I've had difficulty releasing it a couple of times. Not sure if i'd be a bit heavy handed applying, but I was using levelling ramps on both occasions.

Thanks for all your replies, I've ordered some new wiper blades. Hopefully that will be that issue fixed!
Also, I've noticed when giving it a wash today, the nearside handbrake cable is half out of its retaining socket and the offside one in not in its socket at all! Perhaps this may have some relevance as to why sometimes it will not release.
Booked it in at the VW stealers, but earliest appointment is now early February.

I agree with Jester - Bosch Aerotwin Plus blades (28U and 26U) have been an excellent upgrade, they should resolve that issue for you, HB cable adjustment you’ve described will cause the issue you had on the HB lever, when adjusted properly it will not need any lifting prior to pressing the release button.
Smooth like butter …

Fitted the Bosch Aerotwin Plus wipers, what a difference! I just wish I had fitted them before our trip to Spain! Thanks for that!
Also, I can recommend this stuff. Really good at removing smearing road grime from the windscreen.

Wurth Xtreme Clear View Windscreen Screenwash Nano Pro 1:100 250ml​